A&H

Fitness Tests Step 6 and Above

Justylove

RefChat Addict
There are some whispers going around that there will be no fitness tests this year for referees and the guidance seems to be:

If you passed a fitness test last year, then you won’t need to do one this year, however fitness will be considered as part of the assessment criteria.

If you didn’t pass a fitness test last year, you will need to do one in order to referee in the 20/21 season.

Interested to get thoughts on what that means for referees that have been promoted.

From 5-4 last season, I had to complete a fitness test as part of the criteria, administered by my CFA. Does that count or are they speaking about an FA fitness test?

For referees getting promoted above 4 where there is a higher fitness test threshold (I.e L3 is 2700 not 2600) does that mean that they can operate at L3 having successfully completed a L4 fitness test last season, or can they only operate as a L4 until they pass the test?

The Referee Store
From my RDO today

Fitness Tests

For those referees who are required to take a fitness test for their 5 to 4 promotion, please be aware that these test will take place later in the season, once confirmed details will be shared with all relevant referees. For Level 3 & 4 referees if you did not pass the fitness test last season (2019/20) you will not be able to referee this season on the Supply or Contributory League until you have, The FA have said that they will be in contact with those referees affected shortly. For Level 3 & 4 referees who passed the fitness test last season you will not need to take one for Season 2020/21. However fitness must be maintained to a suitable level and any referees showing signs of fitness below the expected standard may be recalled for a fitness test at any time.

For those referees who usually complete a county fitness test, again this will not take place for Season 2020/21, however as you will see from our new protocol for appointing referees that Liam has just shared, any referee wishing to referee on The St Piran League will need to pass a Laws of the Game exam. Details of dates for the online exam will be shared shortly.

There will be some changes to the county fitness test for Season 2021/22 which again will be communicated shortly to all relevant referees in order for you to best prepare yourselves for the test.

Reactions: ARF
There are some whispers going around that there will be no fitness tests this year for referees and the guidance seems to be:

If you passed a fitness test last year, then you won’t need to do one this year, however fitness will be considered as part of the assessment criteria.

If you didn’t pass a fitness test last year, you will need to do one in order to referee in the 20/21 season.

Interested to get thoughts on what that means for referees that have been promoted.

From 5-4 last season, I had to complete a fitness test as part of the criteria, administered by my CFA. Does that count or are they speaking about an FA fitness test?

For referees getting promoted above 4 where there is a higher fitness test threshold (I.e L3 is 2700 not 2600) does that mean that they can operate at L3 having successfully completed a L4 fitness test last season, or can they only operate as a L4 until they pass the test?

I am in the same situation, have been told informally that county ones will be accepted but this has not been confirmed by the FA.

Fitness will be important this season going forward. Hasn't the Observer's report changed to give added importance to this competency (including positioning)? Don't go thinking you can skip the fitness just because there's no test.

Fitness will be important this season going forward. Hasn't the Observer's report changed to give added importance to this competency (including positioning)? Don't go thinking you can skip the fitness just because there's no test.

Yes the new criteria does have more emphasis.

I think that for us "new" Level 4's it was more about the clarification on whether the county FA fitness test last year to get us in the 5-4 scheme would count or whether we'd be sitting until they could put a fitness test on for us to pass.

Either way, for me training continues regardless of whether I've got to run round a track next month, in December or next summer.

Yes the new criteria does have more emphasis.

I think that for us "new" Level 4's it was more about the clarification on whether the county FA fitness test last year to get us in the 5-4 scheme would count or whether we'd be sitting until they could put a fitness test on for us to pass.

Either way, for me training continues regardless of whether I've got to run round a track next month, in December or next summer.
Absolutely - it’s simply a case of being ready to go as and when it takes place.

Email just received from The FA:

Dear All

Season 2020/21 – L3 & 4 Fitness Tests

As you may already be aware, the Leagues Department at The FA have indicated that football within the National League System is provisionally dated to restart in September. Please note the situation is fluid and we will update with more details regarding the start of the new season in due course.

With this in mind we would like to update you on the arrangement of fitness tests for season 2020/21.

Over the past few months, the FA Refereeing Department have kept the arrangements required for facilitating pre-season fitness tests for Level 3 & 4 match officials under constant review. The situation regarding Covid-19 has presented challenges when planning the organisation of the 2020/21 fitness tests. These include:

• Providing suitable first aid provision for each test.
  • Obtaining blood pressure reading requirements for c1500 referees.
  • Current advice from UK Athletics regarding social distancing on running tracks, in particularly the size of groups of runners and the need to maintain 2m social distancing
  • The widespread closure of athletics tracks around the country
  • The impact of local lockdowns upon achieving a consistent fitness test policy across the country prior to the start of season 2020/21 in early September
  • The logistical arrangements for organising fitness tests for circa 1500 match officials within a safe environment
The primary concern of The FA is the safety and health of the match officials participating in the fitness tests and of the volunteers who administer the tests on behalf of The FA.

Having reviewed the above considerations and taken further advice from our medical team we can advise the following:

• Pre-season fitness tests will not be required for season 2020/21 for Level 3 & 4 match officials who passed the 2019/20 pre-season fitness tests
  • Newly promoted Level 4 officials who completed a L5-4 nomination fitness test in season 2019/20 will be permitted to officiate in season 2020/21 (as a Level 4) without passing a further fitness test
  • Level 3 & 4 match officials who did not successfully complete a fitness test in 2019/20 will be required to complete a fitness test, organised by The Football Association at venues across the country
  • Newly promoted Level 4 officials who did not complete a nomination fitness test is season 2019/20 due to Covid-19 disruption will be required to complete a nomination fitness test, organised by their County Football Association, as previously instructed in their promotion email
All Match Officials who did not complete a fitness test in 2019/20 will be contacted by The FA Refereeing Department in the week commencing 10th August with further information regarding the dates for fitness tests. Subject to government and medical guidelines, these are likely to be scheduled in September. This may be after the date when competitions start the new season.

The Football Association reserves the right to call for a mid-season fitness test any match official who is repeatedly marked below the standard expected for Fitness, Workrate and Positioning within the Observer Schemes as a Level 3 or 4.

Match Officials are also reminded that the new Observer scheme, which comes into use from the 2020/21 season, places far greater emphasis on Fitness, with the competency for Fitness, Workrate and Positioning weighted as the second highest marking competency, behind Decision Making Accuracy, Application of Law and Match Control.

For further information on the new Observer scheme, please visit the Level 3 or Level 4 Hive Learning community as appropriate.

Additionally, for the first time Level 3 and 4 Referees will be provided by The FA with a physical training plan designed and compiled by our Sports Scientist Callum Hutton from Loughborough University. This is a guide compiled by an accredited expert who is used as part of the extended PGMOL sports science team aimed to support and compliment the physical training that Referees will be undertaking at this level

The FA understands that this has been a difficult time for match officials and we would like to place on record our appreciation of your patience and understanding of the situation and we have endeavoured to give every opportunity to run fitness tests as normal. However, in order to make sure match officials, appointments officers, County FAs and The FA can prepare for the new season we have had to take the decisions as outlined.

If you have any questions regarding the above please email FACompReferee@TheFA.com

On behalf of the FA can I wish you all the best for season 2020/21

Regards

Neale

Looks like I could have some fun in observing L4, marking down referees on fitness - so that they have to take a test mid-season......

Are you trying to go for blackmail - look I already promised you a 7.5 mark for the iPad...

:D

been ages since you observed me actually, trying to think when it might have been...dringhouses v copmanthorpe like 4 years ago?

Back