A&H

Fitness and Progression

Kragg

I’m about to do the referee qualifying course this month. As an overweight guy in my 30s my questions are how much of an issue is fitness: what do I need to be able to do to be effective? And is 30s starting late, and what level could I expect to reach assuming I’m any good?

The Referee Store
I’m about to do the referee qualifying course this month. As an overweight guy in my 30s my questions are how much of an issue is fitness: what do I need to be able to do to be effective? And is 30s starting late, and what level could I expect to reach assuming I’m any good?
Don't worry about your age. You could progress a very long way from that starting age if you end up as committed as some of us

In terms of fitness, I need something to act as the scaffolding, around which to structure exercise. Refereeing can definitely provide that. You don't need to be that fit to begin with. Kids football is an option to gain some experience of the basics, whilst many Sunday League pitches are quite small because they're typically narrow. I'd imagine to begin with, you wanna do a lot of low intensity exercise. Take it easy on yourself and you'll be more likely to stick at it. After a year or so and assuming your weight has improved, you can then start thinking about promotion and a higher intensity programme

Don't worry about your age. You could progress a very long way from that starting age if you end up as committed as some of us

In terms of fitness, I find that I need something to act as the scaffolding, around which to structure exercise. Refereeing can definitely provide that
You don't need to be that fit to begin with. Kids football is an option to gain some experience of the basics, whilst many Sunday League pitches are quite small because they're typically narrow. I'd imagine to begin with, you wanna do a lot of low intensity exercise. Take it easy on yourself and you'll be more likely to stick at it. After a year or so and assuming your weight has improved, you can then start thinking about promotion and a higher intensity programme
Very insightful about fitness scaffolding. The incentive to gain and maintain fitness was one of the reasons I wanted to do it along with a new post covid love of non league

Very insightful about fitness scaffolding. The incentive to gain and maintain fitness was one of the reasons I wanted to do it along with a new post covid love of non league
We see it every January. Hoards of people joining a gym, hardly any of which stick it
The exercise you get from Refereeing, kinda acts as a freebie. You get the benefit of that exercise without needing the motivation for those sessions. Let's say you Ref twice a week, you only need to add one or two sessions to that to 'qualify' as very active. Whereas, those in the gym purely to lose weight, need to find the motivation to do boring sessions 3 or 4 times a week. Who is more likely to succeed with their goals?

Back