A&H

First referring game

It's very rare, in fact I don't think I've ever called a player out for feet yet, as I'm too busy watching the hands, that's what the players generally watch.

I was just saying because had a referee last year who called 2 or 3 foul throws in a game (for both sides, admittedly) because players were doing that, even though it's not a foul throw. Told him and the linesman what the throw-in laws were, and haven't seen the ref since. This is round 6 and his third game in a row with us mind you

The Referee Store
Congratulations on your first game!

Now you're *chants* ONE OF US, ONE OF US *chants* send 'em all off next week, show 'em who's boss!

Congratulations on your first minefield game successfully negotiated! On the throws, just to echo what others have said, the requirements in Law are quite minimal really, and it's all they have to comply with. Don't go looking for things the law doesn't require. As for a foot (or feet) being off the ground, also be aware that the feet only have be on the ground at the moment of delivery. Sometimes a foot will come up just after they've released the ball - which is perfectly legal but again, will often garner calls of 'foul throw' even though it isn't.

So I’m reffing my second game on Saturday but this time it’s 11vs11 boys. I’m a bit nervous as it’s probably going to be a faster game than last time and also not sure I will get the players respect (as it’s an U13 match and I’m 15, a girl and kind of small for my age). Another thing is sometimes I was struggling to see if it’s a corner or a goal kick, is that because of my positioning? Also how can I gain respect from the players (apart from the obvious such a making decisions correctly)? Thank u guys for all the support so far, it’s been really great!

@molly A few suggestions:
  • Be sure you are dressed crisply--you'll be judged as soon as they see you, so the sharper you look the better for your first impression.
  • Whistle crisply and with confidence, regardless of how confident you are. (Practice a sharp whistle--most young refs flat out don't blow a whistle with confidence. Practice blowing, and practice your signals in front of a mirror to make sure they look confident.)
  • When you do the coin flip with the captain, act like you've been doing it for years. (And if you've only done it in the one game, it's not a bad idea to make your parents or a couple of friends help you practice the routine--or just do it to imaginary players, but actually do the whole thing from when you greet them to when they leave to go back to their teams.)
  • Not sure if it is your personality, but some female refs learn how to use that as a tool. An advantage you have is (from the perspective of a teenage boy), there is nothing "macho" about standing up to a "girl." Some young women refs get good at the sisterly "are you kidding me?" look. (Obviously things vary a lot by area and skill level, but from my experience it is likely that these will be just a shade too young to be consistently obnoxious.)
  • Don't accept any sexist cracks. Question is only the color of the card.
  • If you don't have ARs, you can't be everywhere. For GK/CK, you can only do your best. The good news is most are obvious. For many that aren't obvious to you, it will be obvious to the players--wait a beat and they may show you be their actions what the right call is. Probably the hardest to call from the center is when they are contesting for the ball near the line, and part of the question is when it goes over the line. Getting closer is a good tool--you can't possibly make a close call from too far away.
  • Be ready to run. In my experience boys more than girls get excited about the fact that they can blast the ball, and will blast away up-field whether it makes sense or not.
  • Don't forget you should be having fun, too!
Come back and tell us how it goes!

One more thing--when you make a mistake (and you will--we all do, every game--the best referees just make fewer), don't worry about it--just move on to the next play. Just like players need to forget the mistake they just made and mover their focus forward. After the game, go back to think about mistakes--but not to beat yourself up, but just to ask yourself how to do better next week.

I find that to some extent at the very young age, compared to adults, they don't know much about the concept of respect. They either have it in them or not and not a lot you can do to change that. Most of them want every marginal decision to go their way and if it doesn't they think you are not a good ref.

I'd also add calm and courteous communication to the good list @socal lurker gave you. You don't need to explain everything but explaining some decisions (in a very short sentence) can help. Something like "I saw that as a hard but fair challenge". Or "even though you were going for the ball, you ended up kicking him".

And to add to the "crisp" theme, make your signals crisp too. For example a free kick signal, stand straight and tall, chest out and straight arm in the direction of the free kick.

Last edited:
This is my response to 90+% of the players who call for foul throws!

I'm oft amazed at explanations I get from coaches and players on why they think a TI was improper . . . A few times, in the right context, I've even said something like, "Oh, c'mon--if you're going to complain, at least wait until there is something that matters." (Not a recommended comment for new referees!)

So just finished my second game which was 11vs11 boys and well it was stressful, so much harder than my 1st game.
Firstly I wanted to ask do you ever change your decisions to please players/managers/parents because often the were appealing for things I didn’t see which was frustrating as it started to make me believe I was getting descisions wrong.
Sometimes I felt like my decisions could have
been harsher for example while lining up for a corner there was some shirt pulling but I just gave the player a verbal warning, what else should I have done?
The away team were losing by about 10-0 and their manager wanted to stop the game as they went down to 8 players, I wasn’t really sure on the rules around this (I know you cannot play on with 7 players) but I didn’t know what the options were, after talking to the home managers the away manager decided to play on if they took of a player.
Towards the end of the game the away teams keeper went down and looked as if he would play on so I blew the final whistle (there were only 3 minutes left), is this right?
Another thing, does the ball have to be in play when you blow the final whistle?
As the away team grew more frustrated there were more fouls and I tried to pick them up on them, having to explain my decision to them and trying to calm the game down but it escalated into a bit of shoving between two players which I gave them both verbal warnings (it felt a bit harsh giving a yellow to a 12 year old but I would have done it, if it happened again)
Also at the end of the match there was an argument between the coaches as the home coach refused to take of players to match the away teams number, as I referee should I have tried to diffuse the situation?
All in all quite a tough game but afterwards some players, parents and coaches said I did a good job but I felt like I kind of lost control a bit (especially because of the shoving).

No do not change your decision unless you decide it was wrong before play is restarted. It does sometimes make you think everything you do is wrong.......just accept you may get some wrong but you give what you see.
Shirt pulling before the ball is in play, all you can do is warn, once in play give the foul or penalty.
Not up to you to level each side's player numbers.
If one team walk away that's an abandonment.
You don't have to explain, make your decision and move to where you need to be next, tell them to get on with it, unless its a ceremonial free kick.
Your cards are there for you to use, if it helps, use them.
Coaches arguments are nothing to do with you, unless they breach one of the laws, keep out of it.
You feel you lost a bit of control? Then you probably did, review where this may have come from and do better next time.
Noa, think about your game, what three things went well?
Let's end on a positive note.

Another thing, does the ball have to be in play when you blow the final whistle?
Up to you. I was always told to do it at a point that won’t frustrate teams (i.e. not when they were about to shoot) but at the end of the day it comes down to common sense - you know when time is up and it’s your decision when you want to blow.

I was nervous for my first game but I didn't show it. Always look confident even if you aren't and smile and be polite to the coaches,players and your assistant referees, good luck, i'm sure you'll smash it!!

Shirt pulling before the ball is in play, all you can do is warn
Not strictly true - in the 'Practical Guidelines for Match Officials' section of the laws document we find the following:

"Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences, especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks. To deal with these situations:
• the referee must warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play
• caution the player if the holding continues before the ball is in play"

As this says though, you warn first and only go to a caution if they persist (and you feel it's necessary).

Last edited:
Use your cards or they never learn. Sent off a 14 year old today for kicking out. i was told from the sidelines you cant do that its kids football.

Not strictly true - in the 'Practical Guidelines for Match Officials' section of the laws document we find the following:

"Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences, especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks. To deal with these situations:
• the referee must warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play
• caution the player if the holding continues before the ball is in play"

As this says though, you warn first and only go to a caution if they persist (and you feel it's necessary).
Never ever seen this happen. This is guidance I wasn't aware of. Not that I can see myself enforcing it however ;)

Use your cards or they never learn. Sent off a 14 year old today for kicking out. i was told from the sidelines you cant do that its kids football.

This idea that kids can do stuff without consequence I don't understand. It doesn't teach them the Laws of the Game and learn what is acceptable.
How would their kid like to be on the receiving end without due punishment.

Back