A&H

Open Age First Red

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Gave out my first red today. Competitive game, yellows v reds. Two players tussling for the ball, and go to ground. As Red 9 is getting up he swings his arm at the head of the yellow player, clearly trying to forearm him in the face. Cue players from both sides getting excited, though pretty much all handbags. Red 9 then decides to go back for more and shoves another yellow player to the floor with excessive force. I call Red 9 over and show him the red card, then he tells me to 'F*** Off'

10 minutes later I notice him sitting by the side of the pitch, so at a break in game go and ask the manager to ask him to leave the immediate area around the pitch, he gets a little worked up about it, but leaves.

After the game, I go into the Red changing room to collect my match fee, and red 9 is in there, along with the manager, Red 9 wants an explanation as does the manager, I tell the manager I will speak with him in the refs room alone, but even though Red 9 is demanding to be there as well I refuse.

As I walk out of the changing room, Red 9 starts clapping me sarcastically, saying "well done, great job today"

I explain the situation to the manager in the refs room (also another ref in there) and he is pretty accepting of the decision.

2 questions -

1) I think I messed up the restart after the incident, I gave a drop ball, however in hindsight, I think I should have given a DfK to yellow for the initial attempt to strike. If my restart is incorrect in law, does that in any way impact the misconduct report?
2) I'm putting in the initial arm, the shove and the "f*** off" to the misconduct report, however should I also put in the returning to the pitch area (even though he left when asked) and also the sarcastic clapping in the changing room?

The Referee Store
You don't have to put in how you restarted play - not needed.

Put everything in your report. Including what happened in the changing room

Put it all in one report but keep it as brief as possible. Forget the restart, it doesn't affect the offence committed.

Yep put it all in the report, don't mention the restart. For future reference if you stop the game to issue a caution or send off then it must restart with some sort of free kick. In this case you were right because you stopped the game for "attempting to strike an opponent" (from what I gather).

A bit more advice, collect your match fees before the game then all of the afters wouldn't have happened, I only know this because I have had a similar incident myself but the manager was from an U14 team. And if you are going to speak to a manager make sure you aren't alone if possible.

Well done though mate, sounds like you have done well. :D

Thanks all.

I realised after the game I should have given a yellow free kick and not a drop ball, lesson learnt there.

I also felt confident about having a chat with the manager after the game, the fact there was another ref in the changing room helped, however I'm at the stage in my life where I'm pretty confident (and realistic) in terms of what I can handle. I guess had I been an 18 year old in the situation, I wouldn't have been so comfortable in that type of situation.

If you believe that the two players who were tussling for the ball and both went down fouled one another simultaneously, then a dropped ball would have been the correct restart. Also, when people are clearly worked up it is best not to speak to them so well done on the refusing to offer an explanation to number 9. Make sure that you include that in the report. Also, it's good that you chose to speak to the manager, although do be careful: sometimes what you say can be used against you by a wily manager when it comes to hearing. Easiest answer is that "it will all be included in the report which I send to the league/FA. You'll be made aware of the reasons."

Thanks @Ryan Owens I did have another ref in the room with me when I spoke to the manager and I only gave the facts.

1) I saw the player lash out with his arm at the player on the floor (manager told me he'd also seen him do it), therefore violent conduct
2) As the players converged after this the same player pushed an opponent with excessive force to the extent the opposing player fell to the ground - therefore further violent conduct
3) as I showed the player the red card, he told me to 'f*** off'
4) I'll be sending the report into the fa and letting them deal with it

Not sure he's got a leg to stand in if he wants to get smart about it.

Good to hear @Justylove sounds like you handled it really well.
In relation to your second question I would put it all in the report because it is better to have too much information in the report than not enough.
Do your competition rules allow you to take your match fee before the match?

The generally agreed practice in the league is to collect the fee after the game.

I've got no issue going in and asking for the fee after the game, regardless of what has gone on during the match.

Back