A&H

First Postponement Of The Season!

With the amount of rain that has fallen in the London area today I can see there being a lot of games off tonight.

The Referee Store
To move the postponement theme along. South Yorkshire is moving in to Tier 3 this weekend. I live in SY and on Saturday afternoon I have a game just over the Derbyshire border, where they arent in tier 3. The County FA have provided a statement saying that they have asked for clarification on travel in and out of tier 3 areas. Obviously government rules on tier 3 travel are pretty strict but theres no absolute clarity yet. Alot of the leagues round here have teams over the Derbyshire border so those teams and their opposition will be awaiting clarity too.

I've told the team I'm supposed to be reffing that I'll provide clarity as soon as I get it but I advise them to try and get a Derbyshire based ref if possible so at least their game is covered. If travel is restricted for amateur sports across counties that are tier 3 (as I expect it probably will be), that makes things rather difficult.

Further update. I've got friends and family involved in football in Greater Manchester where they've been in tier 3 a bit longer and theyve had some further advice. It appears that adult players cannot travel in or out of tier 3 regions but youth teams can. No further clarity on referees though.

Further update. I've got friends and family involved in football in Greater Manchester where they've been in tier 3 a bit longer and theyve had some further advice. It appears that adult players cannot travel in or out of tier 3 regions but youth teams can. No further clarity on referees though.

According to Sheffield and Hallamshire FA referees can travel from tier 3 areas into tier 2 areas and vice versa, even though clubs and players can't. https://www.sheffieldfa.com/news/20...n0w4t6aAleHqo0TGAAPCRP4H1sdNpoREDazkch8a_-038

According to Sheffield and Hallamshire FA referees can travel from tier 3 areas into tier 2 areas and vice versa, even though clubs and players can't. https://www.sheffieldfa.com/news/20...n0w4t6aAleHqo0TGAAPCRP4H1sdNpoREDazkch8a_-038

Bit of a saga this afternoon. County FA released a statement at 2pm which said that players could only travel in their Borough (Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley or Rotherham) but couldn't travel into any of the other boroughs. No mention of referees at all. This would have made it impossible to continue because all the leagues around here contain teams from different boroughs. I had texts from both my games (different leagues) stating that their leagues had postponed all fixtures that weekend following the latest guidance.

At 3pm that changed and an updated statement was released stating that players/coaches can travel across all of South Yorkshire's boroughs (tier 3) but not into other counties that aren't tier 3. Now there are teams in Derbyshire and Notts that play in the Sheffield Leagues that have had their fixtures postponed but this will only be around 5% of teams at a guess.

Refs were also mentioned in the new statement as you've pointed out. One of my games is back on, not heard back from the other yet. It appears the local FA have lobbied the FA to change the guidance and succeeded which we're all very grateful for.

Now on my third allocated game for Saturday! Games one and two both called off due to players in quarantine, so keeping everything crossed that it's third time lucky.

Bit of a saga this afternoon. County FA released a statement at 2pm which said that players could only travel in their Borough (Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley or Rotherham) but couldn't travel into any of the other boroughs. No mention of referees at all. This would have made it impossible to continue because all the leagues around here contain teams from different boroughs. I had texts from both my games (different leagues) stating that their leagues had postponed all fixtures that weekend following the latest guidance.

At 3pm that changed and an updated statement was released stating that players/coaches can travel across all of South Yorkshire's boroughs (tier 3) but not into other counties that aren't tier 3. Now there are teams in Derbyshire and Notts that play in the Sheffield Leagues that have had their fixtures postponed but this will only be around 5% of teams at a guess.

Refs were also mentioned in the new statement as you've pointed out. One of my games is back on, not heard back from the other yet. It appears the local FA have lobbied the FA to change the guidance and succeeded which we're all very grateful for.
I've read your detailed updates on the north/south divide and I'm none the wiser what the rules are hahaha :confused::dead:

I've read your detailed updates on the north/south divide and I'm none the wiser what the rules are hahaha :confused::dead:
Unsurprising, I talk alot of **** :) basically the initial guidance meant that all my football was off for the foreseeable. They changed it qhich meant that most will now go ahead.

The tweet from Oliver Dowden infers that amateur sport will be on-ice during November
'travel to a place of work will be permitted - e.g. this includes (but not exhaustive) elite sport played behind closed doors'
Most games are called off in November anyway cos the grass gets a bit wet, so not much of a change when you think about it!

Indeed, amateur sport does seem to have officially bitten the bullet, according to leeks coming out of the media

Last edited:
Yes, BBC and Sky are reporting that only elite sport can continue. Even golf is banned so there is no way they will be allowing contact sports.

Yes, BBC and Sky are reporting that only elite sport can continue. Even golf is banned so there is no way they will be allowing contact sports.
Golf!? Ha, come and play golf with me. I'm always at least 100 yards from anyone!!

I'm sure FA/County FAs will send something out tomorrow.

I had some good fixtures lined up in November as well including 4 games in 5 days near the end!

Also my 'big' birthday will be a little quiet as well - main thing is of course to stay well.

Lets hope that the lockdown 'works' & that grassroots can resume in December.

Looks like everything Step 3 and below will be suspended for 4 weeks.

Enjoy the Xmas shopping (on Amazon!)

I spend most of the time in the trees trying to find shanked tee shots so I would be no danger to anyone at all ... :)
Only players on the hole next to yours, also looking for their ball.....⛳

Looks like everything Step 3 and below will be suspended for 4 weeks.

Enjoy the Xmas shopping (on Amazon!)

I've just been out for 3 weeks with a chest infection, just as I get back it's suspended 🙄, though I do have (weather and FA permitting) a contrib line on Tuesday night.

Personally I'm going to treat it like a second pre season, use the time to do some of the training that its not possible for me to do when I've got games coming thick and fast.

Got my U18s County Cup middle email reminder for this coming Sunday from 'Full Time' today but I expect that will be followed later this week by a postponement one!

Boris under a lot of pressure from MPs to reconsider restrictions relating to sport/exercise. All afternoon, maybe 20% of questions brought up the subject. Personally, I think resisting exceptions is the way to go. Not that I'm a lockdown ('B'lockdown as I'll call it) proponent (cos I'm not), but it's not practicable to make exceptions and it's not worth the confusion
They seem adamant this won't go past December 2nd and let's just hope that we never encounter 'C'lockdown ;)

Boris under a lot of pressure from MPs to reconsider restrictions relating to sport/exercise. All afternoon, maybe 20% of questions brought up the subject. Personally, I think resisting exceptions is the way to go. Not that I'm a lockdown ('B'lockdown as I'll call it) proponent (cos I'm not), but it's not practicable to make exceptions and it's not worth the confusion
They seem adamant this won't go past December 2nd and let's just hope that we never encounter 'C'lockdown ;)
Seems likely to be reversed with regard to sport CFA just asked if I can fill any junior county league games this week.

Back