A&H

Junior/Youth First Official Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Johns

Level 9 Referee
Hi,

I have my first official league game on Saturday. Its an U11's game. Can I use my cards if the need arises?

The Referee Store
absolutely, you can, though it should be pretty unlikely that you'll have to

enjoy and remember to smile :)

Yup, why not?

But please don;t go into the game wanting to use cards, have a chat with the Coaches beforehand and (assuming it's RoRo subs) explain that you would rather see them stand a player down for five minutes than have to use the cards.

11s and under I would perhaps red card for serious offences but other than that the cards stay where they are.

that's not a chat that i would have, ben

pre-determined non-issuing of cards is not the way forward, imho

With mini-football (Presuming it's mini football) you don't normally use cards, check league rules before hand.

aled's point about checking the rules for the league that you're refereeing in should be your next step. if there is nothing written in their rules about cautions and sendings off, then you're good to go and should start ironing your cards

hope it doesn't get postponed because of the weather

I have done that, in fact I did it before posting here. It doesn't specifically mention cards.

Contact someone at the league I would, you don't want to get issuing cards if you're not supposed to. I always thought that mini football didn't cause cautions and dismissals so I'd double check

I have talked to someone at the league and they say cards are fine. I don't think U11s is mini football, so maybe that is why

this old chestnut again:

Should we judge and punish a ten year old the same as we would an adult?

Haywain, if you feel you need to use cards to control 11yr olds and under, I would seriously look at your game management.

A stern word, public talking to and a nod to the coach is all that is needed at that for anything but the most serious foul play or Violent conduct.

Here in NZ, and I believe it's the same in UK, the Law deems a person 'not criminally responsible for their actions' until they are 13 yrs old, except in certain circumstances where there would be a whole lengthy court process to determine whetjer to try as an adult or not.

Why should it be any different once you are on the footie pitch playing 9v9, or 7v7 (when the LOTG state '11v11)

Same as matty, red for S1, S2, S3 (something I can't stand for, wouldn't expect it at u11's though) or S6.
Any yellow offences I would ask for the player to be subbed off for 5 mins ( except entering/leaving the FOP ). A word of advice though, if you ask for a player to be taken off (ie. for dissent) and the coach refuses, ask 2/3 times be nice and polite then if the coach still refuses then caution the player. I saw a ref ask a player to be taken off for dissent in an U10's game the manager refused because he thought that the player had done nothing wrong and started swearing at the ref, the ref just let it go and gave the player a "verbal warning". It really made me angry, he should've sent the manager away from the pitch and cautioned the player just to make a point and keep his match control.

Good luck, have fun, you'll soon get the hang of it :D. Don't forget junior football is about development, not who can brandish the most cards. I've refed 19 games in my career (started this season) and haven't once had to give out a card.

Matty

i may be wrong but i suspect that the English f.a. makes no distinction in their lotg because you can't / shouldn't pre-judge what action you might need to take during a game at any age level.

even you seem to accept that there are situations where a sending off for an under 11 might be called for, i.e. 'the most serious foul play or Violent conduct. '

the rest of your post came across to me as a combination of the totally bizarre (age of criminal responsibility) or mildly insulting (or very insulting had I been connected with southampton football club)

An·tip·o·des (
abreve.gif
n-t
ibreve.gif
p
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-d
emacr.gif
z
lprime.gif
)
1. Australia and New Zealand. Usually used informally.

2. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Something that is the exact opposite or contrary of another; an antipode.

that figures :)

Last edited:
hull ref - are you suggesting that a caution out of spite would be in order

I'm saying that if the managers won't listen to you then the child still needs to be punished so if they don't take him off then a caution is the best way, also the managers need to learn when to listen/help you and what happens if they don't. It would also be important in this situation for keeping your match control.

so, question, what would you do if the manager agreed to take the player off and then, next time the ball went out of play, let's say 30 seconds later, he substituted the player back on to the field of play

it could happen

If I saw who he was bringing on before the sub then I would refuse it and if he had come on I would stop play and ask him to be taken off again until I let him back on (ie. 5 mins later, which I would make clear to the manager the first time I ask him to be taken off).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back