A&H

First OA Middle - Youth Ref

JoetheRef

Level 7 Referee
Hi Guys,

I have been doing open age lines for a season now and this weekend I've got my first OA Middle. I'm 17 and look quite young (I know I should appreciate it while it lasts ;) ) I often get comments about my age when on the line, it doesn't bother me but it shows that people clearly notice it. I am a bit worried that the players on Saturday are going to think they can get away with stuff and may not have as much respect for me as an older ref. Is there perhaps something I could say to the captains pre-match to acknowledge this as I'd rather not have to find an early yellow card to stamp authority.
Does anyone have any general match control tips as well?

I may be over thinking this but I'm very nervous as it's my first one.

Would appreciate any thoughts, cheers.

A&H International
Hi Guys,

I have been doing open age lines for a season now and this weekend I've got my first OA Middle. I'm 17 and look quite young (I know I should appreciate it while it lasts ;) ) I often get comments about my age when on the line, it doesn't bother me but it shows that people clearly notice it. I am a bit worried that the players on Saturday are going to think they can get away with stuff and may not have as much respect for me as an older ref. Is there perhaps something I could say to the captains pre-match to acknowledge this as I'd rather not have to find an early yellow card to stamp authority.

What's the oldest age group you've middled until now?

Wouldn’t overthink it, or mention it pre-match at all. Looks (from your profile picture) that you have the U18 armband so wear it if you want to.

Remember you’re there on merit.

You can’t help your age, it’ll only increase, and you give decisions based on what you see same as anyone else would. It’s not like you’ve never seen a football match before. If some nob pops up about “experience” then just remember that some new refs don’t start until they’re in their 50s.

If anyone crosses the line with language you deem offensive, insulting or abusive and you send them off… it’s also a safeguarding issue because you’re a minor, and report that too.

It’ll be fine. Go get em. Enjoy it and let us know how it went!

Hi Guys,

Nerves is fine. We all get that.

Little or nothing you say to the team captains or coaches will make any real difference once the match starts in all honesty except maybe set you up for a fall. ;)
If you really must allude to your age beforehand then maybe something witty at the coin toss like, "I'm young, but I'm not blind" might raise a smile.
As for being reluctant to produce an early caution (presumably for dissent - so sin-bin) - that outlook can trip you up so my advice would be to just go out and referee as you've always done and stick to the LOTG - especially where cards are concerned.

Also, if you want to, say where you’re based and someone from here might be able to come along as a friendly face. If you have a coach/observer, ping them a message too.

Interesting now because I've been appointed as coach to a 16yo lad who is going to be stepping up to OA football soon too. I'm gonna try and get along to his first OA game to support, but the only difference is the noise will come from the players, not the parents. Deal with them as and when you need to, talk to them, but don't get drawn in to giving in depth explanations of every decision.

Having been in a position similar to you around a year or two ago now, absolutely take on board all the advice above. You're there to be a referee, referee as you see best fit (you're there because you're capable), don't worry if the grown adults can't behave themselves, just give them your calling cards.

Most teams usually have one or two 'loudmouth' players who can either be your friend or your problem player. Figure out who that individual is (shouldn't take long to hear it!) and try and get them on side. For example, if they're claiming a blatant goal kick is a corner, give them a knowing smile and say something like "Nice try mate".
Low level engagement with players can help them trust you know what you're doing - and also makes you stamping down on dissent look a lot more authoritative.

Most important though, is to have fun and enjoy it! And make sure you come back and tell us how it goes!

If a situation deserves a yellow give it. Not doing so may hinder you for the second time it happens.
This...

Speaking from experience in only my 3rd game I know I should have shown cards twice, but wanted to keep myself 'low profile'. It ended up a mess. I am learning to grow some thicker skin, and know when the cards should be used, not for them, but for me. Sounds daft, but you're never going to be their friend and you're only going to be right in the decisions you give in their favour. Don't see yourself as the enemy either, you're there to enforce TLOG so they should be expecting you to do that.

This...

Speaking from experience in only my 3rd game I know I should have shown cards twice, but wanted to keep myself 'low profile'. It ended up a mess. I am learning to grow some thicker skin, and know when the cards should be used, not for them, but for me. Sounds daft, but you're never going to be their friend and you're only going to be right in the decisions you give in their favour. Don't see yourself as the enemy either, you're there to enforce TLOG so they should be expecting you to do that.
I sent 2 off in my first OA game so you are lucky also both were VC so even in a friendly no choice 😂. my advice is if you can treat them as adults do if not then come down firmly on them.

Project confidence. Walk tall, eye contact. If they mention your age be prepared with a confident line that shows you’re not worried about it. “No worries mate, I’ll try not to run circles around you.” Strong whistle to start and have fun. I wouldn’t use a card to stamp authority unless it’s a clear card. That can backfire. Takes as much maturity to keep the card in your pocket as it does to show it sometimes.

Game is done and went quite well. I got a few comments before the game about age, laughed them off and got on with it. There was some low level dissent at a few points but nothing I felt needed managing by either captains or sin bins. Just the one caution for a reckless challenge early in the second half and no complaints from anyone for that and it seemed to take the heat out of the game. I can now proudly update my refchat signature :)
Thank you all so much for your advise and words of encouragement it really did help.

Back