A&H

Open Age First OA game

Gabriel

Serial whistler
Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I’ve just had my appointments through for the first 2 weeks of August, including my first appointment to an OA game as an AR, in a division that promotes into Step 7. Obviously dealing with adults is a different skill entirely to dealing with teenagers. I know this will have been covered before, but is there any specific advice people can give me for this (how to prepare, protocol on assistants reporting misconduct etc)? It’s also my first experience in a full team of 3, which adds something. Thanks.

A&H International
Hopefully you've had some experience as an Assistant beforehand but if not then it's perfectly simple. It's one of those things that definitely might start off being somewhat difficult and then becomes a hell of a lot easier after a while.

Preparation wise, make sure you have everything packed fairly early on so you're not rushing around trying to find something. Drinks, Jelly Babies and any other nutritional stuff is definitely worth taking with you. Make sure you share the jellie babies!!!

Before the game, make sure you listen to the pre-match instructions and ask questions if there's something you don't fully understand. I've found it very helpful as well to listen to the chat at the coin toss with the captains and I've picked up little bits to take into my own.

During the game, the biggest thing is just stay switched on because at any moment something could happen. A nice strong flag for throw-in's etc, think about as well if you've worked with NARs before, what you would expect from them. Talk to the players, some of them might have some light-hearted banter with you and others might not at all. Stay calm under pressure, ignore the comments from the sidelines and the players too.

After the game, meet somewhere in the middle usually. Walk off with the ref and other assistant. Biggest rule for me is don't discuss a decision out on the pitch, wait until you get into the changing rooms (or away from the pitch). De-brief in the changing rooms and make sure if there's something that you weren't sure on, then ask the question!

Usually only need to write a misconduct report if it's a sending-off offence which you've alerted the referee to if they haven't seen it or if it's a more serious misconduct offence.

Most importantly: enjoy the game, stay switched on and remember you're there to assist not insist!

Hi all,

I’ve just had my appointments through for the first 2 weeks of August, including my first appointment to an OA game as an AR, in a division that promotes into Step 7. Obviously dealing with adults is a different skill entirely to dealing with teenagers. I know this will have been covered before, but is there any specific advice people can give me for this (how to prepare, protocol on assistants reporting misconduct etc)? It’s also my first experience in a full team of 3, which adds something. Thanks.
As said above listen to the ref pre-match and follow their lead throughout. Try to listen to the ref throughout the game as much as you can and that will give you an idea of how to deal with adults. Also don't forget to blame the ref for any dodgy decisions ;)

Above all try to enjoy it!

I always have a stash anyway! 🤣 Something I forgot to ask, does the referee normally take flags? I’ll check with them first but is it good practice for me to take me own anyway just in case?
They will bring theirs and if you're lucky you will get a buzzer flag, but bring yours as well just in case they forget.

As said above listen to the ref pre-match and follow their lead throughout. Try to listen to the ref throughout the game as much as you can and that will give you an idea of how to deal with adults. Also don't forget to blame the ref for any dodgy decisions ;)

Above all try to enjoy it!
I know this was said tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, if you're on the senior AR side with dugouts and the dugouts challenge you on one of the referees decisions, if its a nothing decision, feel free to tell them you think the ref may have got it wrong or you can see where they're coming from. Defending something clearly wrong will do your credibility no favours.

With that said, if it's a match changing situation, then do not undermine the ref by saying he got it wrong to the dugouts (or any players) even if you disagree. They will latch on to that and use it against all of you.

I know this was said tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, if you're on the senior AR side with dugouts and the dugouts challenge you on one of the referees decisions, if its a nothing decision, feel free to tell them you think the ref may have got it wrong or you can see where they're coming from. Defending something clearly wrong will do your credibility no favours.

With that said, if it's a match changing situation, then do not undermine the ref by saying he got it wrong to the dugouts (or any players) even if you disagree. They will latch on to that and use it against all of you.
100%, I would never do that. Luckily the league actually decides for us when doing appointments who’s senior and I know for this match I’m junior so I shouldn’t be on the dugout side. It just means I get the joy of listening to spectators for a couple of hours instead!

100%, I would never do that. Luckily the league actually decides for us when doing appointments who’s senior and I know for this match I’m junior so I shouldn’t be on the dugout side. It just means I get the joy of listening to spectators for a couple of hours instead!
What I would say in terms of dealing with spectators, I just completely ignore them. A ref once said to me that if you engage with them, even for something harmless like how long left, either you will miss something on the pitch or they will then not leave you alone for the rest of the match.

What I would say in terms of dealing with spectators, I just completely ignore them. A ref once said to me that if you engage with them, even for something harmless like how long left, either you will miss something on the pitch or they will then not leave you alone for the rest of the match.
More often than not that’s exactly right. Although some may have a different view, the important thing is to retain your focus on the FoP (I have seen some ARs speak to subs etc warming up behind them but still have eyes on the FoP).

This is a very good point - it's a very fine line between throwing the ref under the bus and protecting your credibility.

Think, if you were the ref, what would you want your AR to say?

I find I take a political line, and I'll not get myself involved in penalties down the other end, red cards not under my nose, I'll just say 'the ref has got a far better view than me on that one pal'. It's a fine line that takes time to learn.

This is a very good point - it's a very fine line between throwing the ref under the bus and protecting your credibility.

Think, if you were the ref, what would you want your AR to say?

I find I take a political line, and I'll not get myself involved in penalties down the other end, red cards not under my nose, I'll just say 'the ref has got a far better view than me on that one pal'. It's a fine line that takes time to learn.
Overall that is fine and appropriate, though in the world of players feeling agitated at anything then I would suggest that rather than use the word pal ( he/she may not consider you are his/her pal), then to say something like “fella” (assuming male) or “player”.

I would let the Referee know it's your first game too as they'll no doubt give you pointers. Pre-match should give you a good steer as to what to expect and the Referee's expectations of you as an Assistant. The basics such as keeping your flag in your left hand you'll pick up too, remember my 2nd game as an AR and that was a development point from the Observer.

Eyes and Ears at all times and keeping score is the usual script for Junior ARs.

And enjoy it! It's a great experience working in a 3 and you'll pick up plenty of learning points from other experienced officials.

I always have a stash anyway! 🤣 Something I forgot to ask, does the referee normally take flags? I’ll check with them first but is it good practice for me to take me own anyway just in case?
Something I remember from my first season - Always take your flags! (even as Junior AR)

I would let the Referee know it's your first game too as they'll no doubt give you pointers. Pre-match should give you a good steer as to what to expect and the Referee's expectations of you as an Assistant. The basics such as keeping your flag in your left hand you'll pick up too, remember my 2nd game as an AR and that was a development point from the Observer.

Eyes and Ears at all times and keeping score is the usual script for Junior ARs.

And enjoy it! It's a great experience working in a 3 and you'll pick up plenty of learning points from other experienced officials.

Something I remember from my first season - Always take your flags! (even as Junior AR)
And everything else as if you are Refereeing the game - cards, pencils/pens/coins/spare kit including boots etc etc. As the sayings go, you only get one first impression and be prepared or prepare to fail!! (which I’m sure the author won’t).

Just be honest. Tell the ref it is your first time working in a 3.

Ignore spectators. Do not talk with them, as if something happens they don't like, they'll just wind you up from behind knowing you are listening (I do reply with the time if they ask how long is left, but that is because I am nice).

Concentrate on your primary duty as a lino. Watching the line.

I found in my first few games it all felt really different to being the referee in the middle. So trying to do everything was all so overwhelming.

Just focus on getting the offsides and the in-n-outs right, make sure you're flagging the right way and you'll be more than fine.

All the above advice and concentrate on direction for throw ins etc., particularly early in second half etc.. Teams have changed ends and I've seen a throw being flagged the wrong way several times. (Most of us have probably been caught out to some degree by this).
Most of all enjoy and good luck.

All the above advice and concentrate on direction for throw ins etc., particularly early in second half etc.. Teams have changed ends and I've seen a throw being flagged the wrong way several times. (Most of us have probably been caught out to some degree by this).
Most of all enjoy and good luck.
I'd be lying if I said this hasn't happened to me on more than a few occasions 😂. I'm starting to get used to it now though (mostly by waiting a moment to see player movement/reactions and actually think about it). Thanks for the advice!

The update:

The game went well overall, absolutely boiling temperature (not important 😂). Home team won 6-0. The only major incident of note was in the 2nd half, 77th minute. Away attacker receives the ball, clearly onside, runs through, home keeper comes out of the box and absolutely clatters him. All DOGSO considerations were clearly met (as well as an argument for SFP - not enough imo), and the referee hadn't seen it (or had but hadn't blown) so I flagged, we had a discussion, he gets sent off after a bit of treatment. I got thrown straight into the deep end with that one, although I don't mind that. Other than that, no other cards, a few penalty shouts my end which were easy to say no too, and nothing else big. So overall, I'm happy with my performance, although I will be honest and say I need to improve my confidence when it comes to flagging to better sell decisions. The league ref sec was at the game and came in to the changing rooms after the game to say I got that major incident right, so it wasn't a bad start to the season!

Hmm… I disagree.

A champo AR explained it to me clearly. Rule #1: Don’t break the team.

IMHO out there, never even hint you might have disagreed with the referee’s decision. Even if the ref just told you on comms she got it wrong. Anything you say to benches will get used as ammunition to undermine your referee. You cannot let this happen.

Instead use non-committal language like: “sometimes we see different things” or tap your headset and “sorry, let’s talk after the game.”

This is a creative challenge as AR1. But you must not disagree with your ref to the benches! Noooo!

Back