A&H

First middle with assistants

The Referee Store
Well guys, doing my first game today with assistants. Any last minute pointers? 😁
When you brief them, be clear about what you want from them, e. g. what's acceptable from the technical area.
During the game, acknowledge publically when they are especially helpful ("Thanks, Jack, good flag")
Take time to consult if beneficial to do so.
At half time ask whether you need to tweak anything.
At the end ask for honest feedback.
Enjoy!

I've got that awkward scenario later - 1 very good, well known to me assistant and 1 45' each from club ARs.

Need to referee the respective areas differently obviously.

@ChasObserverRefDeveloper I appreciate that, I opened the app in the dressing room prior and gave my brief as you recommended

@socal lurker i have learnt the importance of that eye contact, and also slowing down. No need to rush is one of the biggest things I learned, slow it down, look at the AR as you say, then follow or lead.

@lincs22 I was given a very experienced ref as AR1 yesterday. It worked excellently and he was happy with it, he had 2 minor things to say about my hand signals (apparently I held my hand up for too long pointing to the half way after a goal was scored, some in the dugout were asking if i'd given a free out :D ) Stopped that at half time and he had nothing to say for the 2nd half..

I had another today, except I was being observed. The observer had little to say other than one incident on the goal line on my side. I looked to my AR for confirmation the ball had crossed the goal line (because if it had i was awarding a corner). The AR then looked at me for 2 or 3 seconds then indicated goal kick. I had to overrule with the corner (because it was fairly blatant who hit it last, i just couldn't see if it fully crossed the goal line).

This was all cleared up in the post match debrief and from now on this specific thing will be in my instructions (i.e. if i look at you for a gk/corner scenario on my side where the ball has "stayed" in play, im looking for you to stick your flag up to tell me if it crossed the goal line in the process, so i can blow my whistle and award gk/corner accordingly). I believe AR is supposed to do this anyway, but just in case a repeat happens.

Lucky it was a low stakes game, so didn't get the "wtf is going on, you're saying corner, she's saying gk!?". It was an U15 3 day national girls team tournament, each team representing their province and trying to get picked by scouts for the national team who were present. Not clubs at war thankfully. Great material for getting a hang of the basics on working as a trio.

Last edited:
@ChasObserverRefDeveloper I appreciate that, I opened the app in the dressing room prior and gave my brief as you recommended

@socal lurker i have learnt the importance of that eye contact, and also slowing down. No need to rush is one of the biggest things I learned, slow it down, look at the AR as you say, then follow or lead.

@lincs22 I was given a very experienced ref as AR1 yesterday. It worked excellently and he was happy with it, he had 2 minor things to say about my hand signals (apparently I held my hand up for too long pointing to the half way after a goal was scored, some in the dugout were asking if i'd given a free out :D ) Stopped that at half time and he had nothing to say for the 2nd half..

I had another today, except I was being observed. The observer had little to say other than one incident on the goal line on my side. I looked to my AR for confirmation the ball had crossed the goal line (because if it had i was awarding a corner). The AR then looked at me for 2 or 3 seconds then indicated goal kick. I had to overrule with the corner (because it was fairly blatant who hit it last, i just couldn't see if it fully crossed the goal line).

This was all cleared up in the post match debrief and from now on this specific thing will be in my instructions (i.e. if i look at you for a gk/corner scenario on my side where the ball has "stayed" in play, im looking for you to stick your flag up to tell me if it crossed the goal line in the process, so i can blow my whistle and award gk/corner accordingly). I believe AR is supposed to do this anyway, but just in case a repeat happens.

Lucky it was a low stakes game, so didn't get the "wtf is going on, you're saying corner, she's saying gk!?". It was an U15 3 day national girls team tournament, each team representing their province and trying to get picked by scouts for the national team who were present. Not clubs at war thankfully. Great material for getting a hang of the basics on working as a trio.
Well done!
Issues like the goal kick/corner kick will happen, and the solution you have decided upon will work.
Onwards and upwards👍

I've got that awkward scenario later - 1 very good, well known to me assistant and 1 45' each from club ARs.

Need to referee the respective areas differently obviously.
Ended up with two very experienced qualified assistants in the end.

Both had one of those flag the wrong way moments that we have all suffered, and we had a laugh about - I went the right way! - otherwise all good!

Back