A&H

First match questions

lucy707

Hi, I have just completed a 2 day course and I now have to complete 5 matches followed by an exam. I was just wondering firstly, how do I find a match to ref when I'm not actually qualified yet and secondly, am I meant to record all the players names in my notebook and also record when substitutions take place?
Thanks

The Referee Store
Email clubs around your area, everyone always seem to need a ref, and people are happy to help new ones. I’m guessing you will stick to 11 aside or 9 aside junior football for the time being, so you won’t need to write players names down, just have a bit paper incase you caution someone. When you get to senior football and you receive team sheets, it is worth writing them down. Good luck !

Email clubs around your area, everyone always seem to need a ref, and people are happy to help new ones. I’m guessing you will stick to 11 aside or 9 aside junior football for the time being, so you won’t need to write players names down, just have a bit paper incase you caution someone. When you get to senior football and you receive team sheets, it is worth writing them down. Good luck !

Thanks, do I need to record what players score a goal by recording their shirt number?

Thanks, do I need to record what players score a goal by recording their shirt number?

As you progress up the ladder, you may need to do this, but at the level at which you start (and I still operate at) I just keep a tally of goals scored, not who scored or when.

The one thing that is worth noting down is who has first half kick off - you’ll have forgotten by the start of the second half.

As you progress up the ladder, you may need to do this, but at the level at which you start (and I still operate at) I just keep a tally of goals scored, not who scored or when.

The one thing that is worth noting down is who has first half kick off - you’ll have forgotten by the start of the second half.

Okay thanks, btw I'm pretty clueless about what I'm meant to do before the match starts😁 do I approach both managers and if I should, what should I say to them?

Keep a little match record, kick and goals scored, but don’t worry about who scored them. Be confident with the managers before hand, intoduce yourself and tell them what you want if you are handing them the flag. Try to have a bit craic on with them if they are canny enough.

Your Referee Development Officer should have given you a list of contact details for Referee Secretaries for all grass roots Leagues in your County.
Depending on referee coverage in your area, you may find it much easier to get assigned to youth games, which is arguably a better idea than charging straight into Open Age. In my limited experience, some RefSecs are miles better then others, so it's pot luck when deciding which one to contact first. You need to get setup on the Whole Game System ASAP, so you can record your games there and report and cautions/dismissals
Again, your RDO or course tutor should have given you a form to record your five games on
I don't think the RDOs or tutors do enough to help trainees get assigned to games and complete the qualification process

As said above, you don't need to but as soon as you are comfortable in your games, start doing it (and the minute of the game too). Its very good practice and when you get to higher level games its one less thing you have to worry about as it comes to you naturally.

I never recorded scorers for a few years and when I started leagues which needed scorer records I kept forgetting. Getting into good habits early has more benefits than just administrative.

Before the game arrive in good time. For the level you are starting at 30 mins before is fine. Introduce yourself to the coaches. Ask if there is a changing room for your stuff.A good tip is too travel in a track suit at this level because you never know if there is somewhere you need to change. Do a pitch inspection and a dog poo inspection. If any found ask the home team manager to remove it ask for any rabbit scrapes to be filled in. Check the goal posts are safe,check the nets are properly attached and there are no holes, again if there is an issue tell the home manager. Check there are corner flags check match balls check players equipment. I always double check to see if it is a league or cup game and with youth check the playing time. Do a warm up if you feel you need to. Remember to start your stopwatch and remember to write down what time you KO so if your watch gets knocked you still have an idea of roughly when the half finishes. Put your coin under your watch . I never remember to do this and regulary lose my 2p coin. But most importantly be confident and try to enjoy

Before the game arrive in good time. For the level you are starting at 30 mins before is fine. Introduce yourself to the coaches. Ask if there is a changing room for your stuff.A good tip is too travel in a track suit at this level because you never know if there is somewhere you need to change. Do a pitch inspection and a dog poo inspection. If any found ask the home team manager to remove it ask for any rabbit scrapes to be filled in. Check the goal posts are safe,check the nets are properly attached and there are no holes, again if there is an issue tell the home manager. Check there are corner flags check match balls check players equipment. I always double check to see if it is a league or cup game and with youth check the playing time. Do a warm up if you feel you need to. Remember to start your stopwatch and remember to write down what time you KO so if your watch gets knocked you still have an idea of roughly when the half finishes. Put your coin under your watch . I never remember to do this and regulary lose my 2p coin. But most importantly be confident and try to enjoy
Thank you this is very helpful

Also, obviously being a referee isn't about the money but who do I go to too collect the refs fee, And for new referees like myself, will I be given a mentor and if so, who by?

Your Referee Development Officer should have given you a list of contact details for Referee Secretaries for all grass roots Leagues in your County.
Depending on referee coverage in your area, you may find it much easier to get assigned to youth games, which is arguably a better idea than charging straight into Open Age. In my limited experience, some RefSecs are miles better then others, so it's pot luck when deciding which one to contact first. You need to get setup on the Whole Game System ASAP, so you can record your games there and report and cautions/dismissals
Again, your RDO or course tutor should have given you a form to record your five games on
I don't think the RDOs or tutors do enough to help trainees get assigned to games and complete the qualification process

Thankyou for your response, it was pretty helpful. Do you think I will be assigned a mentor for my first few matches?

but who do I go to too collect the refs fee

That'll vary. Sometimes the club's manager or player will pay. Sometimes the club's treasurer will come along and pay. When you get taken to the dressing room, that's the time to enquire. For simplicity, get paid before you start the match. It's very rare that a team will not pay, but it does happen and it has happened to me last season.

For simplicity, get paid before you start the match.

I disagree. Often league rules state payment occurs after, and if I’m at grassroots level and there’s no facility for changing (ergo nowhere to lock my back), I don’t want my match fee sitting around in my bag the entire game for anyone to take.

Tutors are engaged to deliver the course to the standards set out by The FA. They are rarely full time employees of the County or national FA. They are subject to a fairly stringent selection, training and monitoring process considering they are volunteers. It is not part of their performance contract (as they don't have one) to deliver a specified number of newly qualified referees each season. Nor is it part of their performance contract to retain those referees as active match officials.

Back in the day when local FAs (we still have them in my County but they don't have the influence they used to) were responsible for recruiting, retaining and developing referees, then the tutors may have done this, with varying degrees of success. The problem is that there are fewer and fewer people involved in football meaning more people wear multiple hats.

Often league rules state payment occurs after, and if I’m at grassroots level and there’s no facility for changing (ergo nowhere to lock my back), I don’t want my match fee sitting around in my bag the entire game for anyone to take.

There's no such rule in my league handbook, and the advice given out by that League is to ensure payment occurs pre-match to avoid incidents of non-payment. You are free to do as you wish though. :)

There's no such rule in my league handbook, and the advice given out by that League is to ensure payment occurs pre-match to avoid incidents of non-payment. You are free to do as you wish though. :)
This is a quote from the Standard Code of Rules (SCOR) governing open age football.

Match Officials will be paid their fees and/or expenses by the home Club before/immediately after the Competition Match. Failure to comply with this Rule will result in a fine as stated within the Fines Tariff.

This is prevent against clubs keeping referees hanging about for age after a game before paying them.

This is a quote from the Standard Code of Rules (SCOR) governing open age football.

Match Officials will be paid their fees and/or expenses by the home Club before/immediately after the Competition Match. Failure to comply with this Rule will result in a fine as stated within the Fines Tariff.

This is prevent against clubs keeping referees hanging about for age after a game before paying them.

Yes, individual leagues can choose to delete one of "before" or "immediately after", so it comes down to competition rules and should be made clear in there. They can't delete that whole section so it should be in the rule set of any FA sanctioned league. This is rule 23(E).

I preferred after then if it was stolen from your bag/ car you are in a better financial position! :rolleyes:

Back