A&H

Junior/Youth First match next week!

RonnieM

Level 7 Referee
My first game has been allocated and it is an under 17 match. So the full 90 - which is going to be a test in itself and on 4G. Any hints tips on dealing with young players would be appreciated.

A&H International
U17s won't be far off Open Age. So they will know what they are doing.

I think just be a little careful with what you say to them, as they will likely be a bit mouthy and irritable, and if you talk back to them as they do you, you might find yourself in a bit of bother as they are still kids. So just be professional and firm, obviously don't take any dissent, or abuse and deal with any you might receive appropriately.

Good luck, just focus on getting out there and learning from it.

My first game has been allocated and it is an under 17 match. So the full 90 - which is going to be a test in itself and on 4G. Any hints tips on dealing with young players would be appreciated.
Firstly and most importantly, treat them like adults(within reason).
Don't be afraid to have a joke with them and expect LOTS of swearing. They'll make a lot of negative comments towards you but don't take them personally, the best ref in the world will get stick from 17 year old boys they, just like to complain (I was guilty of this myself as a player). If you make a minor mistake, be honest with them they'll appreciate it.
I hope some of that helps, enjoy!

I echo most of what others have said, and just want to add - they are 16/17, they know what they are doing (fouls etc)! At this point feel free to ref it like it needs to be ref'd (don't hold back as some do basically). Relax, enjoy and you'll be fine. Also, on the swearing note - if I still played I'd be U17 now, I can tell you teenagers language these days is atrocious. Have some banter with them, but make sure they know where you think it becomes too much, and then stick with that. Enjoy!

I echo most of what others have said, and just want to add - they are 16/17, they know what they are doing (fouls etc)! At this point feel free to ref it like it needs to be ref'd (don't hold back as some do basically). Relax, enjoy and you'll be fine. Also, on the swearing note - if I still played I'd be U17 now, I can tell you teenagers language these days is atrocious. Have some banter with them, but make sure they know where you think it becomes too much, and then stick with that. Enjoy!
Teenagers language has always been atrocious, never mind these days!!

As others have said, expect a level of colourful language, but also draw the line early with regards to comments made against yourself. More importantly, enjoy the game!

Know your line (comes with more experience).

Don’t be afraid to slow the game down to lay down your expectations. Call a player over be firm but fair. Tell them that is not how you speak to me on this pitch.

Don’t panic if you think you have made a mistake just take each decision on its own.

Enjoy it!

Teenagers language has always been atrocious, never mind these days!!
You reminiscing on your younger days there James?

@RonnieM You're a qualified ref, this game is the first of the endless learning experiences. Trust your instinct, and be flexible. What works in the 10th minute may change in the 90th minute, as the expectations change and the game unfolds. Don't be afraid to move with it. In my earlier games, I'd set my bar and to my detriment, stick with it. Move with the game, but don't let it move you is the best way I can put it

Remember your main tools: voice, body language, whistle, cards.

Voice - a quick short explanation of a foul / no foul helps in many situations. “Watch the hands” at corners and similar is great to remind players you are there.

Body language - you are the “adult in the room”, calmest, in control. Relax. Stay up. Don’t shrink.

Whistle - can you multi-beep? Your whistle can stun players to silence, and make two players grappling on the floor think twice. Practice multi-beeps. Use the whistle.

Cards - dissent by shouting in your face, delaying the restart by kicking the ball away. Use your cards. Don’t think your are helping the game by avoiding cards - it’s a trap! Just use your cards. Simples.

Well yesterday, I was asked to cover an under 14 girls match. So this won't be my first game. If I can go through my thoughts from that game?

I felt out of place, confused and unsure of a lot of decisions. Hand gestures were all over the place, and I genuinely forgot what team was shooting in what direction. I gave a penalty when the ball hit the arms of a player, they were in front of her chest but outstretched and not tight against it (if that makes sense). Rolling subs was a nightmare as there were times I forgot to blow the whistle to stop play. Then there was the daft decision not to have 2 watches... luckily I realised that I hadn't started the countdown on my watch about 10 seconds in...

The game finished 6-1 so I didn't really have much impact on the match thankfully and no sanctions either although I could have shown a YC after one player who thought they had been awarded the throw-in bounced the ball forcefully into the ground. I let her off with that because I genuinely didn't know if I had that decision right or not.

So to sum, up... very much suffering from impostor syndrome today especially when it came to being paid for something I didn't think I did well on.

I have downloaded the LOTG and going to read away at them.

It sounds like you will have learnt a lot from your experience.

For rolling subs they can be a nightmare and clubs often don't help. When a coach asks for a sub I tend to do a double pip on the whistle just so everyone holds. If someone then tries to restart it's easier to call them back as you've indicated a stop.

From what you described, it sounds like a penalty.

YC for dissent and a sin bin... yep you could have, but could also have just done a public rebuke. It depends on your threshold a the tone of the game. I've never had to use a card in u14G and normally a stern word is more than enough.

Imposter... no. Gaining experience. Keep reflecting and you'll keep improving.

Last edited:
Thank you sir. It is difficult to remain positive when both sides are negative!
Always good to reflect on different things, I’ve had many a game that I’ve thought I could’ve done this differently or should have done that, following games then you’ll notice yourself doing the things you’d reflected on. Confidence will come and you’ll soon feel like a natural. We’re all human, we’ll get things wrong, teams seem to forget sometimes that especially in youth and lower levels of football you’re out there by yourself trying to juggle a lot of things (offsides, throw-ins etc). Be confident in you’re calls, usually we’re in the best positions to see different things, even if ultimately the decision is not quite the right one portraying confidence that you’ve made the right call can help negate some players.

Keep going!

Well yesterday, I was asked to cover an under 14 girls match. So this won't be my first game. If I can go through my thoughts from that game?

I felt out of place, confused and unsure of a lot of decisions. Hand gestures were all over the place, and I genuinely forgot what team was shooting in what direction. I gave a penalty when the ball hit the arms of a player, they were in front of her chest but outstretched and not tight against it (if that makes sense). Rolling subs was a nightmare as there were times I forgot to blow the whistle to stop play. Then there was the daft decision not to have 2 watches... luckily I realised that I hadn't started the countdown on my watch about 10 seconds in...

The game finished 6-1 so I didn't really have much impact on the match thankfully and no sanctions either although I could have shown a YC after one player who thought they had been awarded the throw-in bounced the ball forcefully into the ground. I let her off with that because I genuinely didn't know if I had that decision right or not.

So to sum, up... very much suffering from impostor syndrome today especially when it came to being paid for something I didn't think I did well on.

Don't worry about it, we've all been there. I was all over the place for my first few games, you'll learn quickly and gain confidence it's just a part of the process.

I remember my first game quite well, forgot to start both of my watches 🤣

Sort of had to work out how far we were into the game and took an educated guess (This was a good 10 mins into the game)

And I also may have forgotten to start my watches for the 2nd half of my game I was on the line for yesterday 🙄

On the hand gestures, it might sound absolutely stupid but practice in the mirror. The best way to see if you're doing it right is to actually look at yourself in the mirror!!

But other then that, you will always be learning from every single game you do, same with everyone on this forum, and believe me it will become more and more natural!

Thank you sir. It is difficult to remain positive when both sides are negative!
I was guilty of this when I was completely new. If anyone made a comment, or if anything didn't go perfect, I would dwell on it.

Now it honestly takes a colossal **** up for me to give it a second thought.

I have had 3 games recently where tension(borderline dissent) was through the roof. But come fulltime, it is just handshakes, shower, and off I pop, with some money in my hand and another game under my belt.

Educate yourself is all I can say. Think about decisions you were unsure about. Read up and understand them. Then practice a quick line to tell players. My favourite line right now, whenever I hear "foul throw" (which is pretty much all the time), I just say, "He released it behind his head". It just shows you seen the throw, know the law, and it was legal.

Little things like the above go a long way for credibility. It sort of stops the ensuing "pay attention to the throws ref".

Well the day has arrived with a 2pm kick off. I have an minor grade advisor who will be attending so that makes me feel a lot better. Not under any illusions that this will be the same as the girls' game and I got to put the decisions and the performance of that game by and concentrate on this one. Then it is on to Wednesday night to do an U16s... We shall see how we do.

Well the day has arrived with a 2pm kick off. I have an minor grade advisor who will be attending so that makes me feel a lot better. Not under any illusions that this will be the same as the girls' game and I got to put the decisions and the performance of that game by and concentrate on this one. Then it is on to Wednesday night to do an U16s... We shall see how we do.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well and hopefully the advisor will have some good pointers for you.
Don't forget to enjoy it!

Back