A&H

First game

Natalie P

Hi all, have my first match on Saturday and I feel slightly intimidated as a girl. I’m officiating a under 11 boys match I’m not so worried about the lads it’s more the parents and managers. I’m not being negative in what’s going to happen however, if I make a stupid decision like every one has probably done, how do I deal with it.? I don’t want it to look like I’ve lost control off the game and I loose my confidence and the match goes disastrously wrong.. anyone got any tips?

The Referee Store
Losing all confidence is part and parcel of being a new referee. The biggest tip I can give is pretend it hasn't gone and just seem confident with everything you do.

You say you're not worried about the lads - at that age they're trying to act like the parents. Don't be afraid to set your stall out strong and give a dissent caution!

Good luck with the game! :)

Agree with Harry about confidence. If you don't have it, just pretend it and works just as well.

Oh you will make some mistakes. I still make then after many years in the job and some silly ones too. Its all part of refereeing. The EPL referees make mistakes (that's why they want to use VAR). So nothing to be ashamed or afraid of there. The point is, if you knew it was a mistake, you will not make it. So back yourself with every decision you make and move on to the next phase of the game.

You must deal with any misbehaving manager. If you don't they get worse. Down here we follow the "ask, tell, remove" process. On the first instance of misbehaving we ask the manager nicely to behave (e.g "cut it out please"). The next instance s/he is told firmly to stop or you will have no option but to remove him/her. In the third instance you MUST follow up with what you said and remove him/her from the technical area. Remember, regardless of your age, you are the boss for that duration. As long as you are fair but firm boss you would do ok.

With misbehaving parents its a bit different and the process is different from area to area. Your RDO can help you much better. The golden rule is not to every get involved with misbehaving parents, even just talking to them. Our process is to ask the designated team officials (sometimes the managers but we also have a ground official/stewards) to control the parent. If it continues we ask them to remove the parent. If it keeps going by many parents, becomes abusive and the ground official can't control it them abandoning the game is an option. Not too many games get this bad though. but be sure you know what your options are before you start the game.

Good luck and enjoy your first game even though it will possibly be nerve racking.

Confidence is all about body language. If you look confident then players will assume you are and will accept your decisions more readily. When you go out to start the game, make the first whistle loud when you call the captains in. That's their first impression of you and a good loud whistle implies confidence even if you don't feel it.

If at any time you are feeling uncertain then make all signals really big - for instance, if there's a throw in make sure your arm is straight out and hold for a second. That says, "I'm sure about this, so don't argue with me!" A quick point before dropping the arm says "I'm not sure so I'll give it that way but don't pick on me if I'm wrong, ok?"

There's no need to signal immediately for throw-ins, goal kicks / corners etc. Give yourself a second to think about the decision before a good clear signal. That has several benefits: if one team goes to get the ball and the other moves away to mark then it's an easy sell to give the throw their way and makes it less likely you'll have a brain freeze and signal the wrong way. If both teams appear to be expecting the throw then it allows you time to think about which way it is. Delaying for too long can make it look like you're going with the shout, so don't delay more than a second or so but try to avoid rushing to signal instantly. If you go the wrong way this can cause uncertainty next time, leading to loss of confidence. It's very rare you need to signal immediately, and this is normally only when there's going to be a card for a serious foul. This is highly unlikely to be an issue in your game.

When you whistle try to ensure it's a confident blast rather than a quiet one, and try to make the whistle "talk" This means, if the ball goes out of play and you need to stop play then a quick blast is all that's needed. If it's an offside then a bit louder. A foul is a louder blast and if it's a bad foul then a really loud blow tells the players "I've seen this and I'm going to deal with it!" Try to avoid double taps with the whistle to stop play.

If you do make a mistake then don't worry about it. No one will die because of it. If someone questions a decision I find that saying something along the lines of "it was a foul (or whatever) from my position" can calm it down, because unless they're in exactly the same space as you then they can't know for sure.

I wouldn't worry that you're going to get loads of grief. I find that most games are perfectly ok and nothing happens at all. You won't get everything right, but you certainly won't get everything wrong. At the end, you may be feeling that you did get everything wrong, even though you didn't. In this case, make a list of stuff you think you got wrong and then a list of things you did well. The second list will be much longer than the first.

Remember, it's all relative. What may seem like a massive error is actually nothing when taken in context. Several years ago a good mate of mine - who unfortunately died over Christmas - refereed our County Sunday Cup final. At the end of the game the losing manager told him "you were awful! you made loads of mistakes. You've got to get these decisions right in the big games!" Mick didn't tell him that a couple of months previously he'd been on the line for an FA Cup last 16 game at Elland Road and he had indeed got everything right in what was actually a big game!

In your first game you won't remember any of this, because you'll be too busy trying to remember that you're the Ref! In my first game I appealed for an offside(!) before remembering it was my job! Good luck, don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

At times you have to apply your lah, lah, lah ear mode with parents, they are all usually glorified cheats in wanting everything for their little cherub. You won't please everyone, you may please no-one, ref to the LOTG and you won't go far wrong. Smile, and enjoy it. Let us know how you go on!!

I'm being pampered in a Spa hotel near Macclesfield..... Not sure whether to have my nails done or B,S, & C :asshat:.. Good luck to you all in your first games!! :rolleyes:

Back