A&H

First Game yesterday

If you didnt see it yourself and based on everything else no I wouldn't bother personally

The Referee Store
When I first started, I was surprised as to how hard throws are to get right, and how easy it is to drop a b@@llck on something seemly so simple. So I've developed a few coping mechanisms:

• Early on in the game (and at the start of the second half) I will (almost) over emphasise who'se throw and direction. I.e., even if it's blindingly obvious whose throw it is, I still call "Blue throw" and make a definitive point of my arm in the direction of the thrower. Helps set in my mind who is going which way.
  • If everyone seems content with who is picking the ball up to take the throw, go with that. No surprises refereering.
  • Contentious/ fifty-fifty throw ins - probably no one has any idea whose it is, no need to worry (at our level!) about camera replays, always award to the defensive side. This can be really effective in helping your credibility - a swift, crisp call of "blue throw" when players from both sides turn to you to ask for the throw "shows" that you are on the ball, decisive, and in control (even if you haven't a clue who touched it last).

When I first started, I was surprised as to how hard throws are to get right, and how easy it is to drop a b@@llck on something seemly so simple. So I've developed a few coping mechanisms:

• Early on in the game (and at the start of the second half) I will (almost) over emphasise who'se throw and direction. I.e., even if it's blindingly obvious whose throw it is, I still call "Blue throw" and make a definitive point of my arm in the direction of the thrower. Helps set in my mind who is going which way.
  • If everyone seems content with who is picking the ball up to take the throw, go with that. No surprises refereering.
  • Contentious/ fifty-fifty throw ins - probably no one has any idea whose it is, no need to worry (at our level!) about camera replays, always award to the defensive side. This can be really effective in helping your credibility - a swift, crisp call of "blue throw" when players from both sides turn to you to ask for the throw "shows" that you are on the ball, decisive, and in control (even if you haven't a clue who touched it last).
Agree to a large extent except on last point. If you give yourself a second you can often work out what actually happened. Genuinely no idea then ye by all means

Thanks all for you kind messages - I do feel like I don't think I can take any positives out of the game if im honest.
In terms of the throw ins these were more mistakes from me - I was giving the throw ins on the areas of the touch line where the CAR's weren't stood and it was only after I awarded a throw in did someone say look at the lino so there wasn't really much favouritism as such - just wrong calls from me which I did say to the players these were my errors but I don't think it really placated them
Every referee no matter how good or how experienced can have a shocker! Please don't beat yourself up over it. 2 points for your consideration.
1) You're big enough to admit to the mistakes during the game. Now focus on all the good decisions you made, and that should give a more balanced assessment of your performance.2) You're brave enough to share the experience and emotion of the day. That tells me you have the character to succeed and become a very good referee. Failure is the first step to knowledge! Good Luck for your future games.

@Jim Barnett - you only have your first game once. Don't worry about people knowing it's your first match, it can make your match control easier in some instances (but unfortunately not yours).

Refereeing is about learning, every referee should learn from each match they do. If not, they don't care anymore.

A simple help tool is to write down what you did well and what you could have done better (and you would do it better second time).

Keep going, report to us in your second match and how you have improved.

Agree to a large extent except on last point. If you give yourself a second you can often work out what actually happened. Genuinely no idea then ye by all means

Meant eaxactly what I said. There are times when you (well, I, at least) have no idea. Doesn't matter if I give myself a second or an hour I ain't going to work out what happened. Defensive throw every time.

Jim, first of all, welcome to the world of refereeing!

The game certainly doesn't seem an easy one for an experienced ref, nevermind a newly qualified. You got through it, and thats the main thing.
I remember my first games and how scary the were, and they were all U13's games! You learn from your mistakes, don't see them as bad points, see them as learning points.
Every learning point I came across, I wrote it down and read it again before my next game. E.G, look a CAR more often etc etc.
As for the penalty, to save your back, stick with it and remain firm. Even if you're unsure and your inside is telling you that it's incorrect, don't show this on the outside.
CAR's can be a pain, but also very useful. I don't know whether you spoke to them before the game, but before every game I used to give them a quick briefing, and just ask them to do ins and outs, no offsides as it causes too much hassle for you.

Its definitely worth getting onto some youth games - Sunday league is certainly not a nice atmosphere of football, especially for your first couple of games. If you are a bit low on confidence - ask your RDO for a possibility of a mentor.

Good luck in your next one, and keep your chin up!

There's lots of good stuff in here, but I'm going to add my 2 cents on throw ins. Earlier in my refereeing, I used to have the problem you described where I felt I was frequently getting them wrong. For me it was a question of just focusing a little more (admittedly it will be easier in your 10th game than your first, because you'll be more comfortable) - I found that paying attention to the smaller decisions and getting them right helped me be ready for the bigger decisions. And the players won't have had as much chance to moan because you've been getting stuff right. It's still not perfect - at least once already this season I've seen an incident, processed exactly what happened and then promptly pointed the wrong way (and this is at Supply League level so don't worry about it happening in your first game...). A few tips - I know some of these repeat what others have said:

- Take a second. You won't look indecisive by giving yourself that little bit of time to think about it and see what the players do. There are zones on the pitch where the lino probably has a better view and it's safer to let them lead (even if with the clubs).

- Train yourself to signal (crisply) for every throw. You see people stop signalling for some throws as they go up the ranks. I don't really understand why this is acceptable and it will help your concentration if you're signalling properly

- If you really don't know and the player reaction doesn't tell you, go defensive. An extra tip here... If you are guessing it's a good idea to slow things down and not allow the team that's benefitted from your guess to take a quick one and break away (chances are players will be out of position because both teams will be going to pick the ball up). You can do this by making sure the thrower is on the exact blade of grass where the ball went out

- Have some phrases ready. If someone has a go at you over a thrown in, something like "are you really going to get booked over a thrown-in?" or "maybe it was wrong, but it's just a thrown-in" should keep them quiet.

- If you do cross the lino, have a think about who is better positioned. If it's you, go with your instincts and be ready to tell everyone "It's in my area and I had a better view". If you contradict him and he's giving it against his own team then chances are he's right. Go with it, "thank you, you must have had a better view". Don't allow the quick throw

- If you simply point the wrong way, correct yourself, smile and say sorry
for being a tit - just brazen that one out. Don't allow the quick throw

Hi Jim.
Like yourself, I'm new to refereeing (just done my third match). Also like you, I made some big errors in my first match, lost control, had a nightmare also. The hardest thing I've had to face so far in my short reffing career is putting myself back out there for the second match - but believe me it will get better :) The first match is done, so be proud of your efforts!
One thing I am finding useful is to keep a small journal. After each match, I write a little summary of the match (bullet points), writing some the mistakes I made, some areas I'd like to improve and focus on for next time, and also write some positives from the match too. Doesn't have to be War & Peace :) I find that this helps me a lot, and it's good to look back (even after just 3 matches) to see progress being made, whilst being reminded of things I need to focus on in my next match. I wonder if there's any experienced refs here who keep a journal too?

Hi Jim.
Like yourself, I'm new to refereeing (just done my third match). Also like you, I made some big errors in my first match, lost control, had a nightmare also. The hardest thing I've had to face so far in my short reffing career is putting myself back out there for the second match - but believe me it will get better :) The first match is done, so be proud of your efforts!
One thing I am finding useful is to keep a small journal. After each match, I write a little summary of the match (bullet points), writing some the mistakes I made, some areas I'd like to improve and focus on for next time, and also write some positives from the match too. Doesn't have to be War & Peace :) I find that this helps me a lot, and it's good to look back (even after just 3 matches) to see progress being made, whilst being reminded of things I need to focus on in my next match. I wonder if there's any experienced refs here who keep a journal too?
I started to keep a little spreadsheet this season, to see how much I've been running but mainly to remember the learning points from each game. I just write a couple of lines about anything significant and give a "back of a matchbox" rating - and I include the ref/ARs depending on my role as well. My season is nearly over. Lots of little learnings. And some overall trends - as you might expect the big trend is: matches are more difficult at higher levels!

Thanks all for you kind messages - I do feel like I don't think I can take any positives out of the game if im honest.
In terms of the throw ins these were more mistakes from me - I was giving the throw ins on the areas of the touch line where the CAR's weren't stood and it was only after I awarded a throw in did someone say look at the lino so there wasn't really much favouritism as such - just wrong calls from me which I did say to the players these were my errors but I don't think it really placated them

Positives -
You turned up and made yourself available for the game
You made decisions right or wrong you made them you weren't frightened to make them
You used the right signals for the different field events
You blew your whistle
You gave instructions to the CAR
You talked to the players
You recognised that sometimes you got it wrong
You recognised that you need to improve in certain areas

There are a lot of positives that I see there? You may not think you have many, but trust me it takes a lot to stand n the middle and blow the whistle, make decisions on split second reactions etc so don't beat yourself up, learn from the negatives going into the next game and focus on how you can turn those from negatives to positives i.e. positioning, confidence, decision making, signals.

This thread is exactly what this forum is about!

One final thing for me for OP - please do stick with it, your next game, I'm sure, someone will say, 'Thanks Ref, you had a good game' - when it happens it will make you feel 10 ft tall. Once, after a game, someone called me over , 'Ref, can I have a word please?' - This doesn't sound good I thought as I replied, as casually as I could muster 'Yeah, sure'

He continued ' I just wanted to say..........you are the best ref I have ever seen' - Now this was an easy U14s game, no cautions, I had one word with one player and had to tell manager to calm down, which he did - so clearly the comment was completely ott - but not many hobbies can give you such positive feedback from complete strangers and we get paid as well!

All the very best for your next match & do keep us updated with your progress.

Thank you all so much for you really helpful and really positive - does make me feel a little better. I spoke with my liaison at my local league and discussed a couple of the incidents - this chat made me feel worse because he said I should have replaced the CAR who was causing the problems and i felt like the result has been determined by me not replacing the CAR :eek:(

He did reiterate to me what a lot of you have said that it was my first game! He suggested i come to watch him ref this weekend and then another weekend to run the line at another match and to have a chat from there

I know Sunday league can be brutal but i definitely think my lack of experience having never played at that level before

But your messages have helped give me a bit of confidence so i don't think ill be throwing the towel in just yet

Jim, i had help from my local ref association too when i started. People who some of are still active and some not. Its a great place to share experiences face to face, and a lot of the guys have volunteered to come watch me when they possibly can and just give some pointers post match. Not an observation per se but little tips and that to make the job simpler. Things that if you dont get told, you wouldnt work out overnight !

I've enjoyed this thread. I'm also a new ref having done one game! And this is my first post. My first game generally went ok but I got one decision wrong which the home manager said cost his side the game. In hindsight I made s mistake as a throughball came off a defenders foot ( defender deliberately tried to kick ball) but it went to an attscker who scored. Linesman had flagged for offside and without thinking I gave offside. It was the heat of it all but I should have overruled and allowed goal I think. It has played on my mind and then the fixture the week after was for same home team so I politely declined. I'll keep reffing but these forums make you realise how difficult reffing is and the number of sccnarios you can face but I found this post and replies very encouraging.

We all make mistakes so I wouldn't worry about reffing that team again. Both teams probably made more mistakes than you! If you don't ref teams you have made mistakes with you won't see many teams again!

In hindsight I made s mistake as a throughball came off a defenders foot ( defender deliberately tried to kick ball) but it went to an attscker who scored. Linesman had flagged for offside and without thinking I gave offside. It was the heat of it all but I should have overruled and allowed goal I think.

This depends, Do you think the defender would have attempted to play the ball had that attacker not been running through?

I'm also brand spanking new to refereeing and my mentor has put me running the line in some Premier/1st Division matches to give me a chance to get out with the more experienced guys. I've learned a lot in terms of dealing with chatty players and have found it good for my development. Could be a good idea for yourself, and other newbies.

I've enjoyed this thread. I'm also a new ref having done one game! And this is my first post. My first game generally went ok but I got one decision wrong which the home manager said cost his side the game. In hindsight I made s mistake as a throughball came off a defenders foot ( defender deliberately tried to kick ball) but it went to an attscker who scored. Linesman had flagged for offside and without thinking I gave offside. It was the heat of it all but I should have overruled and allowed goal I think. It has played on my mind and then the fixture the week after was for same home team so I politely declined. I'll keep reffing but these forums make you realise how difficult reffing is and the number of sccnarios you can face but I found this post and replies very encouraging.

Don't worry that's offside! As long as defender wasn't deliberately trying to kick ball back to goalkeeper, but I or team mate - if a miscued clearance I think that's offside - being 'played on side' by a defender disappeared from the laws a while ago now.

As long as attacker was offside when his team mate played the ball, think you can call this one phase of play and give the offside.

The previous comment is a bit confusing for me so here is the passage from the LotG (my quick intro italics and bold):
---
Offside position... penalised... active play... etc. if:
• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent
when it has:
•• rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
••been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.
A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).
---
Defender deliberately kicks the through ball - no offside offence.

Exactly. The defender deliberately tried to play the ball with their foot by sliding to block it hence why I thought the attacker had no advantage and so goal should have stood. I guess you could argue the attacker was already in an offside position and so would the defender have tried to kick the ball. It was down to milliseconds of events but as the flag went up roughly at same time as ball hit defenders foot I felt I was in the wrong

Back