A&H

Open Age First game tonight

SionTHFC

Big day for me today, my first open age game and I'm not going to lie im bricking it lol! I was totally shocked when I was given a middle, considering I've only been refereeing for 6 months but I hope to re-pay the faith given in me with a good performance. I have been given two Nuteral AR's too which hopefully will make my job a lot easier. And to top it all off, I have a little more pressure as an assessor will be sitting in the stands.

Anyone got any small hints or tips for going into this game, I think I'm in for a different game to the u-14's i usually do!

The Referee Store
Good luck with it

Pre-match brief to NAR's is probably more traumatic than reffing the game....where having two NAR's will make life a lot easier for you....as long as you remember to face towards them by trying to stay left of the ball

Be honest with them, first game, don't want to come across as a twot but this is what I'd like from you kind of thing.

Don't automatically expect them to want to do same warm up as you. Some refs idea of a warm up usually involves hot tea and standing around chatting . Doing as a team is great but warm ups shiuld be respected as an individual choice, imho

Make sure you look after them and they should look after you

....unless a player calls them an f'in cheat....in which case remind them to get over themselves and not to be so precious

Just got home and couldn't be happier with how it went. Lovely game of football, away team going 3-0 up only to lost 5-3. Got my first yellow out the way too for persistent infringements. Couple penalty shouts that I turned down, to be honest it was 50/50 some would of given and some not. Quick cut of the grass made it look convincing that I turned them down.

Also thanks @haywain for your advice, both AR's were spot on for me all game. Few offsides being moaned at (as usual) but all in all a very convincing performance.

Must of been one of the youngest referee teams around too, Me in the middle at 18, and my assistants were 17 and 16 respectively.

All in all very happy with how it went, it can only get better... I hope!

Back