A&H

First game of 2015!

Aaron Aven

Level 7 Referee
After a long Christmas break, I've managed to get my refereeing up and running again with my first fixture tomorrow! After such a long break, I'm actually feeling a bit nervous :( (Plus it didn't help when the manager text me saying 'It'll be a big test for you;)). Anyway, do any of you still get pre match nerves, what do you do to conquer them?:D Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year!

The Referee Store
After a long Christmas break, I've managed to get my refereeing up and running again with my first fixture tomorrow! After such a long break, I'm actually feeling a bit nervous :( (Plus it didn't help when the manager text me saying 'It'll be a big test for you;)). Anyway, do any of you still get pre match nerves, what do you do to conquer them?:D Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year!

I wouldn't say nerves as such.....but there some fixtures that do invoke a sense of unease.....

Normally I just play a little game.....watch the 2 teams warming up and pick a number from each as the most likely to be carded first, and the minute in which it will happen......

Reactions: KB
If I am feeling a little nervy I will find someone to talk to when I get to the venue - usually settles any butterflies away. There is usually someone around who will have a chin wag about the beautiful game. Everyone loves the referee BEFORE the game kicks off!

When I stop getting even just a little bit nervous before any game is the day I will stop refereeing :) as soon as that first whistle is blown, nerves go away

Last edited by a moderator:
First game after Xmas break .......Called off at 11 am ..straight to the pub for a few beers with the family and friends for a birthday drink .
must always take a positive from these situations !

People misunderstand nerves. Anxiety and excitement are the very similar neurological processes. Fight or flight? Easy to mix up the 2 as they feel very similar.

Harness and control them, job done. I know when I get butterflies I will have a good game. Just learning to control them is the trick.

Back