A&H

First Game...Ever!

Mr Sam

Level 9 Referee
Hi Folks,

First off I have to say I've been reading this forum religiously for the past week or two, so much useful content here!

I reffed my first game today. It was Sunday League, Open Age. It generally was ok-ish all things considered. Definetly need to work on positioning/anticipating play but brought about a few thoughts...

1. How much can I actually trust Club Assistants? - What happened - Away team were on the attack, played what looked like a good through ball and scored. I blew for the goal, started to make my way back for kick off. Meanwhile the club assistant (for the defending team) had his flag raised for offside. I put my hands up and said I didn't look over to the assistant but by this point I had already given the goal and I wasn't convinced that it was. However I stupidly didn't look over/acknowledge the linesman!

2. I had a couple of throw-ins that were thrown down the line and appeared to not go into play (bad throw and wind). I just didn't know what to do and called foul throw and gave it to the other team. However on reflection maybe that should have asked for a re-throw as it didn't go into the field of play. Would be good to get people's thoughts on this?

I'm looking forward to working on what didn't quite go well into this time and focusing on it in the next game and starting my watch at kick off...

The Referee Store
Firstly, refchat is more of a cult than a religion ;)

Congrats on completing your first game

You don't need to blow for a goal

You can change your mind on any decision before play has restarted, in this case, before the teams kick off again. Looking over at your assistant as the goals go in should eventually become second nature

And, yes, throws should have been retaken as ball didn't enter f.o.p.

Onwards and upwards

@Mr Sam also well done on getting through your first match alive.

With CAR's if you ask them to do offsides then go with them unless you think they are really wrong. make sure that they are on their own teams left back.

With regards to the throw ins, if the player is taking it right on the line the likelihood is that it did enter the fop because as the player stands on the line with the ball above his head, the ball will be in play so you would've been right in reversing the throw in.

good luck for your next match :)

One thing to say...Sunday League as first game, very brave man!!!!!!!!

Hey @Mr Sam welcome to refchat. A place for like minded referees to share ideas, tell war stories and gain support from like minded individuals.

1) it's you're call as to whether it is offside or not, but you are right that not acknowledging the flag that you didn't agree with (I use a big downward wave to the CAR) does invite problems. Not to worry though, first game and you picked out for yourself that this is something to be mindful of in future.

2) if you don't think it came into play from the throw in it is a retake.

What I did during my first season was look at a law in the magic book before each game. Just brush up on the one law before leaving for my game that day. Do this over the course of a season and you get to know the laws really well! I still do it on occasion now. :)

Welcome and well done for getting through your first game :)

The first few games will be a real learning curve and things will arise that you've never even thought of; no question is too stupid, so don't be afraid to ask!

Ps. Remember, everything is now your fault! ;)

To a degree you have to trust you CARs however don't be afraid to over rule them as you are the man in the middle. I often find a good way to keep the CAR 'onside' (pun very much intended!) is if you get the chance give them a thumbs up for a good call or even better if your near them give them a thank you for a certain call. It doesn't have to have been an amazing call from them, but everyone likes being told they are doing a good job and tends to, in my experience, keep them helping you out.

Congrats on your first game by the way. Sounds like you got through it with a minimal amount of fuss!

Thanks for the replies.

Some wise words given, appreciate it.

Looking forward to putting it into practice!

To a degree you have to trust you CARs however don't be afraid to over rule them as you are the man in the middle. I often find a good way to keep the CAR 'onside' (pun very much intended!) is if you get the chance give them a thumbs up for a good call or even better if your near them give them a thank you for a certain call. It doesn't have to have been an amazing call from them, but everyone likes being told they are doing a good job and tends to, in my experience, keep them helping you out.

Dave, did that when I was being assessed and assessor suggested that using name along with thumbs up and thanks is even better

Not everyone can remember names for a one off game and it's not the end of the world if you don't but I try to do it as a matter of course these days, especially in my yoof games where car tends to do the whole game (first half generally for o/a)

That's not to say that I haven't called 'mark', 'mike or 'roger' 'rob' on more than one occasion.....and assessor almost certainly wouldn't pick up on that ;)

2) if you don't think it came into play from the throw in it is a retake.

Although this is what most refs do and is what most players expect it is not actually supported in law.

The law states (in part):
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:
• faces the field of play
• delivers the ball from behind and over his head
• delivers the ball from the point where it left the field of play

I cannot see how all three of these conditions can be met and the ball not go into play, therefore the throw has been incorrectly taken and should be awarded to the opposing team. Having said that, I doubt you will get any complaints if you let the player have another go...

The important line is:

The ball is in play when it enters the field of play.

Yes, but nowhere does it say that the ball has to enter the field for the throw to be considered incorrectly taken.

Fair point. However, the laws talk of delivering the ball to the field of play - it can't be a foul throw unless the ball is actually delivered and in play.

Hmmm interesting one.

Although, if the throw-in has been incorrectly taken, the ball is never actually in play because the correct procedure hasn't been followed...

Having said all that, I give players another go - the classic is the one that slips out of the hands just before it is brought over the head and just goes straight up in the air. Technically I believe that this is an incorrect throw and so should be awarded to the opposition but if you do this you just end up looking like a petty jobsworth...

Although, if the throw-in has been incorrectly taken, the ball is never actually in play because the correct procedure hasn't been followed...

Having said all that, I give players another go - the classic is the one that slips out of the hands just before it is brought over the head and just goes straight up in the air. Technically I believe that this is an incorrect throw and so should be awarded to the opposition but if you do this you just end up looking like a petty jobsworth...
McTavish, last time I checked our job was to be a petty jobsworth! ;) Oh yeah and to demonstrate our wonderful dance moves such as the yellow card dance… :p

@McTavish the problem here is that the player hasn't done anything to trigger a foul throw (Assuming that he did meet the 5 point criteria for a legal throw in as laid out in LOTG).

I would have thought that in the example of the ball not coming on to the field he had failed to face the field of play and in the example of the ball straight up in the air he has not delivered the ball from behind and over his head.

Back