A&H

Open Age First Fixture on the line...

Mike

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Making the step up to OA this weekend with a line in the Herts Senior League, with a view to doing them every other week (can't miss Stevenage :D) to gain some experience before picking up an open age whistle...

Any tips or tricks for my first few games?

The Referee Store
Eye contact with central, all game long
Always aligned with the second last defender
Flag always between you and the central (left hand if you're running forward to the right, right end if running forward to the left, etc..)

Most important : if he don't (but he should), insist and ask questions about what he wants you to do in nearly all situations : fouls, throw ins, possible penalty situation, handball etc.. The key is to be on the same wavelength as the ref
Be confident about the throws by your side
Far from you, usually go with ref's decision even if you think he's wrong

If anyone gives me any sh*t, I'll just deal with it like this... https://vine.co/v/M9lrPDZrK2a

Be smart, use your weapon

640300dark.png

Reactions: KB
You're the eyes in the back of the ref's head. If 2 players might be showing aggre behind the ball (or one copped a late hit), keep an eye on them while the ref runs up with play. Keep glancing around the field to see what's happening. That will also ensure you don't 'ball watch' and get caught behind play.

Just make sure you look confident, and mirror the referee's signal if he goes first.

Making the step up to OA this weekend with a line in the Herts Senior League, with a view to doing them every other week (can't miss Stevenage :D) to gain some experience before picking up an open age whistle...

Any tips or tricks for my first few games?
Listen to the ref at his pre-game chat, and if he doesn't have one, ask him instead.
Every decision is important, no matter how small it may look.
Don't be hasty with your offside decision making. Take a second to consider PIG and then flag if required. A correct, late call is better than a wrong, quick one.
Learn how to look to the left with your left eye and across the pitch with your right eye!!
Follow the ball to the goal line always. Nothing worse than stopping because you think a keeper will collect, he fumbles and you're not in position to see if the ball did cross the line or not.
Be smart (look the part), be focused (ignore the crowd speak around you), be positive (big, bold, clear signals).
Enjoy it. I enjoy my lines and I like the teamwork it involves and some of it rubs off on you when you get to do middles.
And finally, be prepared. I always go out with my cards, pencils, watch (don't forget to start it when the ref blows to begin the halves), whistle (always 2 of each!) because I'm prepared for the scenario of a ref getting injured.
Brush up on the substitution laws and procedures in place and assist accordingly.

And all that was longer than I intended.:cool:

And finally, be prepared. I always go out with my cards, pencils, watch (don't forget to start it when the ref blows to begin the halves), whistle (always 2 of each!) because I'm prepared for the scenario of a ref getting injured.

Or more likely, forgets his :p

Never reffed with him! Know most of the county middle lads but unless I'm forgetting something I've not met him. Should be good anyway! Good luck mate :)

Best of luck Mike, should be a good standard game and great experience. I was involved with officiating one of the teams this season and they're not at all shy with their opinions :rolleyes:. So being (or acting!) confident will be a must. Will be a good taster for what OA is like, though the pace of play is likely to be a fair bit quicker than the 'parks' games you'll start off reffing when you make the transition. You might want to get Norman to spell your name right on the website though ;):)

Best of luck Mike, should be a good standard game and great experience. I was involved with officiating one of the teams this season and they're not at all shy with their opinions :rolleyes:. So being (or acting!) confident will be a must. Will be a good taster for what OA is like, though the pace of play is likely to be a fair bit quicker than the 'parks' games you'll start off reffing when you make the transition. You might want to get Norman to spell your name right on the website though ;):)

That man and his spellings! The fact that some names are capitalised and some aren't really irritates me on there :p

A correct, late call is better than a wrong, quick one.

The same is true for the ball out of play - don't raise your flag for a throw-in until after the ball has gone out of play. It's too easy to anticipate what is going to happen with the ball, raise the flag, and then either the ball dies where it is or someone gets to it in time.

Got the joys of extra time and penalties... Everything went well, couple of flags were too hasty (as people told me not to do above) and ref overruled once (decided a player wasn't interfering, I thought he was). Things to work on, but onwards and upwards!

For all the theorising that can be done, the best approach is to dive in at the deep end. Well done, both for having done it but also recognising areas of improvement. Never be negative about these; they are learning points that will help you improve that only practical experience can teach.

Nice one Mike, certainly looks like you got your money's worth! Will you now keep going with OA lines til the end of the season?

Back