A&H

First Few Games, What is “Dangerous Play?”

lukewilson

Level 7 Referee
Hello everyone,

After reffing my first few games I’ve started to notice the things I’m not 100% about, the main one being what constitutes dangerous play, and do I give an indirect free kick?

Two examples:
1) Two players going for a bouncing ball around knee height, player A gets there before player B who also attempts to play it, Player A goes in studs up and makes a stamping motion so player B pulls out, what’s the decision here?
2) Ball around head height on the edge of the box, striker goes for the ball but before he can get there a defender comes over and intercepts (striker within playing distance) with his foot up by the strikers head, ahain striker pulls out because if he doesn’t he gets his head kicked off).

What are the correct decisions here (I’ll tell you my decision on both when I feel safe to reveal!!)

Appreciate the help and also appreciate these are specific examples but these type of moments do seem to happen a lot in the games I’ve been reffing.

Thanks in advance, all!

The Referee Store
The technical term used is actually "playing in a dangerous manner " or PIADM. The way you describe both your scenarios sound like PIADM and IFK. If contact was made DFK.

Screenshot_20221129-012246.jpg

I agree, both these examples sound like PIADM. Also, be aware, that "preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" is just ONE of the things the Law includes: even if no opponent is present, putting a team mate in danger is equally unacceptable (though this is very rarely given).

Both examples sound like playing in a dangerous manner. The most frequent usage is a high foot close to an opponent (except where santa referees😁), including a bicycle kick with other players adjacent.
As One has said, if contact is made it becomes a direct free kick.

I gave a PIADM indirect free kick last season. The attacking player dived across the floor around knee height head first to try and win the ball (which he did) but the defender didn't play the ball as he would have kicked the attacker in the head.

The attacker was bemused and accused me of making things up. He was also the captain so I had more interaction with him albeit good natured but he carried it on through the rest of the game. I told him we'd discuss it after the game and I'd show him in the LOTG why I penalised him.

He asked me outside the changing rooms and I showed him the LOTG on my phone. To his credit he said he hadn't heard of the law before and understood my decision.

Back