A&H

First AR on Saturday

John White

Level 7 Referee
I have been appointed an AR for my first match in the Welsh Alliance, it's the first time I've been an Assistant so don't know what to expect. It's 2 second division teams, and as I don't speak Welsh, am kinda nervous! Anyone got any advice?

Cheers guys!

The Referee Store
Best bit of advice i was given: a fast flag is a crap flag! So for a throw in, Take your time, flag in both hands in front of you, eye contact with ref to see if he has decided a direction or not, if so follow his arm if not make your decision. And never change your mind once you flag. Changing it only causes problems.

Don't worry too much about speaking welsh! Even in north Wales everyone speaks English. Although memorising the naughty words wouldn't hurt! :D

I agree with Supermonkey. Take your time on decisions there is no rush, listen carefully to your referee's pre-match instructions, dont be afraid to ask him questions if your not sure on something. Most of all stay relaxed and enjoy it, i enjoy assistant refereeing just as much as being in the middle.

Trust me, not speaking Welsh will make zero difference!

The same as above.

Make sure you listen to the referees instructions and ask any questions no matter how silly you think they may be.

Remember to flag clearly and confidently.

Back