The Ref Stop

Finland vs Albania non penalty

betterlatethannever

Member
Level 6 Referee
Hi all,
I’ve just come across this decision from the weekend and it’s one of those where it makes me question if I actually know what I am doing or not!
Albania player not awarded a penalty and actually cautioned for simulation, which the VAR upheld.
Is it a penalty? I’d say 9/10 yes but with slowed down replays you could argue he has jumped and ‘dived’ but he doesn’t really have much choice?
Decision from 6:00.
 
The Ref Stop
The challenge was careless it should have been a penalty, can understand why the referee viewed it as simulation. Only really contact is hand on hip but he was already in the air at that point.
 
I’m just glad you’ve said it should have been a penalty - nothing special about the clip but as it was waved away by the referee and the VAR I thought I was missing something!
 
Clear penalty for me as well. Also a clear and obvious error for VAR with the current standard I know in Europe or most other leagues I know.
 
Back
Top