A&H

Fines for Yellow/Red cards

DJIC

I thought it amusing that our Premier League stars pay the same fines for cautions & red cards as our players on a Sunday morning at The Dog & Duck!

Albeit they might get a fine of up to two weeks wages.

Below is the FA's fine sheet for yellow and red card offences.
Red & Yellow Cards: Offence Codes, Fines, Suspensions and Penalty Points (FA)
Charge codeOffenceFine £Automatic suspensionPenalty points
C1Unsporting behaviour: Adopting an aggressive attitude, Simulation, Dangerous Play, Foul Tackle, Goal Celebration, Handball, Reckless Play, Pushing or Pulling an opponent, Tripping, other Unspecified Behaviour10N/A1
C2Dissent10N/A2
C2 (sin bin)Dissent (sin bin)N/AN/A2
C3Persistently infringing the laws of the game10N/A1
C4Delays the restart of play10N/A1
C5Fails to respect the required distance at a restart10N/A1
C6Enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission10N/A1
C7Deliberately leaves the field of play without referee's permission10N/A1
S1Serious foul play553 matches5
S2Violent conduct - further defined as: Head-to-head, Elbowing, Kicking, Stamping, Striking, Biting, or Other Unspecified Behaviour553 matches6
S3Spitting556 matches7
S4Denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring chance by deliberately handling the ball351 match3
S5Denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick351 match3
S6Use of offensive, insulting, or abusive language452 matches4
S7Receives a second yellow card in the same match351 match3

A&H International
Seems odd to me, there's no way a player gives one about a £10 fine when on x thousand a week. But I always assumed that the club took the fines for the players, so what do I know?

On one hand why not the same fine - if a millionaire wants to get a Ryanair flight he/she would pay no different to anyone else at the time he/she paid for a ticket. However, 2 things I am not sure the list shown is up to date because I was informed it’s £12 for a caution and secondly, there may be a different unpublished list for PGMOL/PL/EFL

As Foster said the prem players still get the same fine as grassroots. The fines are there as a bit of a deterrent certainly at grassroots, my point is it's really no deterrent for a prem player as it's peanuts to them, so if they had a bigger fine it may act as more of a deterrent. I appreciate that clubs do their own fines and I'm not saying it should necessarily change but it just seems pointless giving out a £10 fine to someone who earns premier league money.

Don't understand this about the being low in comparison to wages.
If a millionaire gets a parking ticket it's still £35 if paid within 14 days or £70.
The only fine that is dynamically adjusted to factor in someone's salary is speeding.
It's an admin charge. The cost of administering the fine (whilst will vary by salary of the person doing the work) is still the same. It doesn't take any more time or cost anymore to administer the charge to the dog and duck than it does to charge a professional club..

Last edited:
As Foster said the prem players still get the same fine as grassroots. The fines are there as a bit of a deterrent certainly at grassroots, my point is it's really no deterrent for a prem player as it's peanuts to them, so if they had a bigger fine it may act as more of a deterrent. I appreciate that clubs do their own fines and I'm not saying it should necessarily change but it just seems pointless giving out a £10 fine to someone who earns premier league money.
As with clubs fines may be a bit of a frustration but it doesn’t hurt them as much as a points deduction. Similarly with players it’s the bans from playing rather than fines that hurt them & the club the most and is the best deterrent.

There is a flip side to the comparison to laws of the land fines. Two wrongs don't make a right. Fines are there for punishment as well as deterrent . Having a monetary fine that amounts to just about nothing (compared to income) does neither. The only damage to the offender is symbolic.

However fines that are non monetary are far more important in either grassroots, top flight or laws of the land. You get 5 yellows, you miss a game. At grassroot you miss a grassroots game at EPL you miss an EPL game. Proportionate punishment and deterrent.

Not sure in UK but here driving offences accumulate demerit points, loose more than 12 demerit points and your driving license is suspended. Proportionate punishment and deterrent no matter how much you earn.

I always thought fines are more a cash cow for authorities than anything else.

Last edited:
Not sure in UK but here driving offences accumulate demerit points, loose more than 12 demerit points and your driving license is suspended. Proportionate punishment and deterrent no matter how much you earn.

I always thought fines are more a cash caw for authorities than anything else.
The same here in the UK. 12 penalty points and you get banned. But, for each individual offence there is usually a combination of a monetary fine along with penalty points (number determined either by severity of offence or standard points) added to the driver's license.

The same here in the UK. 12 penalty points and you get banned. But, for each individual offence there is usually a combination of a monetary fine along with penalty points (number determined either by severity of offence or standard points) added to the driver's license.
Yeah we also have the monetary fines for the driving offences. The point is though, while the demerit fine hurts ind impacts the same for everyone in general, it's not the same for the monetary fine

There is flip side of the comparison to laws of the land fines. Two wrongs don't make a right. Fines are there for punishment as well as deterrent . Having a monetary fine that amounts to just about nothing (compared to income) does neither. The only damage to the offender is symbolic.

However fines that are non monetary are far more important in either grassroots, top flight or laws of the land. You get 5 yellows, you miss a game. At grassroot you miss a grassroots game at EPL you miss an EPL game. Proportionate punishment and deterrent.

I think that is the case with your last sentence & indeed one reason perhaps why sin bins is not only a formal yellow card, but also a fine. However, I would not be surprised if when players realise this is the case, then the number of sin bins will drop. Good for the Referee/the game, perhaps not so good for the County FAs who have been struggling with cash flow etc for quite a few years.

There is flip side of the comparison to laws of the land fines. Two wrongs don't make a right. Fines are there for punishment as well as deterrent . Having a monetary fine that amounts to just about nothing (compared to income) does neither. The only damage to the offender is symbolic.

I think that is the case with your last sentence & indeed one reason perhaps why sin bins is not only now a formal yellow card, but also a fine. However, I would not be surprised if when players realise this is the case, then the number of sin bins will drop. Good for the Referee/the game, perhaps not so good for the County FAs who have been struggling with cash flow etc for quite a few years.

I once had to advise a player that the fines/money generated from cards did NOT all go into a big pot that was then shared out to the league's referees at the end of the season!! :rolleyes: :wall:;)
Was at a lovely new facility opposite Southampton Airport this July, player having a right whinge after his team got a second yellow (both for chopping down the winger)

“You on commission with these fines, ref?”

I just pointed at the pitch and surroundings and he went “ah yeah fair enough”. Didn’t pipe up again 😂

Reactions: Kes
perhaps not so good for the County FAs who have been struggling with cash flow etc for quite a few years.
Except once we've addressed the more blatant and obvious instances of dissent, we can gradually lower the threshold to penalise subtler forms of dissent that fall in a grey area—those that are often overlooked or tolerated.

The ultimate goal being to eliminate around 99% of dissent.

I may not have explained this as clearly as I'd like, but I'm referring to the kind of borderline comments that, if penalised strictly, could result in up to 100 sin bins per game.

Back