A&H

Financial Fair Play

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
There was a thread opened and closed In the wrong category, but I think this subject merits sensible discussion given the timing of the transfer window closing. Does anyone have much knowledge on how it works?
Whilst sold as a good idea to protect clubs from reckless spending, would it be accurate to surmise that it's a ploy by the rich to keep the poor from posing a threat? That said, some of the relatively poor clubs have been chucking it around a bit, although some of the mismanaged rich clubs are able to spend seemingly without any cap
I think it's a topical subject of interest
50/50 chance of the thread getting oot of hand however, so only respond with Referee's self control
Besides. Is there any meaningful punishment for breaching the FFP Rules?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
There was a thread opened and closed In the wrong category, but I think this subject merits sensible discussion given the timing of the transfer window closing. Does anyone have much knowledge on how it works?
Whilst sold as a good idea to protect clubs from reckless spending, would it be accurate to surmise that it's a ploy by the rich to keep the poor from posing a threat? That said, some of the relatively poor clubs have been chucking it around a bit, although some of the mismanaged rich clubs are able to spend seemingly without any cap
I think it's a topical subject of interest
50/50 chance of the thread getting oot of hand however, so only respond with Referee's self control
Besides. Is there any meaningful punishment for breaching the FFP Rules?
Well first of all you have to look at who bought FFP in and who lobbied for it. Then you have to look at what FFP looks to do. For example, it allows unlimited borrowing and clubs to acquire £1bn+ of debt and still be able to sign Lewandowski, Kessie etc. But it stops Newcastle from investing money even if it can be guaranteed in writing that the money will never be claimed back. As a Man City fan we see the hypocrisy of FFP and how it's used to ensure the elite clubs remain in the CL etc. For ballance, MCFC now benefit hugely from FFP as it's stopping Newcastle etc threatening my club at the top of the tree, and I think that's wrong.

If there was a salary cap/transfer budget for example which was the same for everyone and made it a completely even league I would absolutely be in favour of that despite my club being effected negatively. I believe in fairness. FFP is a cartel. If clubs want to invest stupid money then let them. The public purse benefits for example. FFP should be used to stop money being taken out of clubs. That would safeguard financial futures.

FFP seems to work well in the lower leagues, but that is probably because there are very few sugar daddies pumping money in. The cap is therefore more genuinely based on revenue derived from the club through normal transactions rather than external input.

Well first of all you have to look at who bought FFP in and who lobbied for it. Then you have to look at what FFP looks to do. For example, it allows unlimited borrowing and clubs to acquire £1bn+ of debt and still be able to sign Lewandowski, Kessie etc. But it stops Newcastle from investing money even if it can be guaranteed in writing that the money will never be claimed back. As a Man City fan we see the hypocrisy of FFP and how it's used to ensure the elite clubs remain in the CL etc. For ballance, MCFC now benefit hugely from FFP as it's stopping Newcastle etc threatening my club at the top of the tree, and I think that's wrong.

If there was a salary cap/transfer budget for example which was the same for everyone and made it a completely even league I would absolutely be in favour of that despite my club being effected negatively. I believe in fairness. FFP is a cartel. If clubs want to invest stupid money then let them. The public purse benefits for example. FFP should be used to stop money being taken out of clubs. That would safeguard financial futures.
As Man C proved, having the most expensive Legal Team must be accounted for too!
Seems to me FFP reflects much of what's wrong with the world, in terms of the cream at the top governing itself.
FWIW, NUFC will probably have sufficient means to circumnavigate the rules. Being owned by a Nation State has its advantages. Likely sponsorship from that new Saudi Airline being the most obvious, which Is why the EPL hurredly embargoed such sponsorship deals only to recind the move once the Saudi Lawyers flexed their muscles

The Baeutiful Game

Unlimited loans of up to 1 billion pounds is some kind of insanity. It seems to me that football clubs are the last place that should be given such loans.

Back