A&H

FIFA referees Claus and Abatti failed CONMEBOL fitness test

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
World Cup referee Raphael Claus and three other Brazilian FIFA match officials failed the FIFA fitness test during the pre-season course organized by CONMEBOL, at its headquarters in Luque, Paraguay. The information was verified by ESPN.

In addition to Claus, referee Ramon Abatti and assistants Fabrício Vilarinho and Fabrini Bevilaqua also failed the fitness test, held on the first day of the CONMEBOL seminar, which brings together referees from all member associations. All four match officials are part of the current FIFA List.

The event, which took place between January 13 and 18, included courses, training and other activities, aimed at the start of the new South American football season. Despite failing the test, the Brazilian quartet remained on Paraguayan soil carrying out these activities but will not be able to officiate matches in competitions organized by CONMEBOL, including CONMEBOL Libertadores and CONMEBOL Sudamericana, until they pass the fitness test. It is expected that CONMEBOL will organize a new test by the end of January. As the local championships are organized by each state's own federations, the quartet will be able to officiate in these competitions that open the national calendar. Claus, Fabrini and Vilarinho are already scheduled for games over the weekend. Ramon Abatti, in turn, was not selected in the Catarinense Championship.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705911195371.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705911195371.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
The Referee Store
it seems a lot of referees didnt pass the test during the 4 to 3 assessment days earlier in the month and i know of one who didnt go at all as they knew they'd fail.

you'd be fuming if you were close

it seems a lot of referees didnt pass the test during the 4 to 3 assessment days earlier in the month and i know of one who didnt go at all as they knew they'd fail.

you'd be fuming if you were close
I know of 2 groups and the failure rate was just under 50%. With about half of those failing at the sprints. Not sure if injury or simply can't do them.

For me, if you can't do the test you aren't ready.

People will point to short notice but the dates were communicated early Dec. Then the weighted merit tables were published before Christmas. Then you had c.3 weeks to train if you hadn't already started.

This is the levels you need to be at. I think the FA have threatened impromptu fitness tests in the past, for referees being marked down for fitness but you should really be ready to take the test on short notice.

Sadly, those refs have passed up a golden opportunity. Hopefully they can pick themselves up and go again, and work on the fitness to make sure it doesn't fail them on future. For some, they've travelled a long way at personal expense to not even get through the first exercise must be very disappointing.

I know of 2 groups and the failure rate was just under 50%. With about half of those failing at the sprints. Not sure if injury or simply can't do them.

People will point to short notice but the dates were communicated early Dec. Then the weighted merit tables were published before Christmas. Then you had c.3 weeks to train if you hadn't already started.

This is the levels you need to be at. I think the FA have threatened impromptu fitness tests in the past, for referees being marked down for fitness but you should really be ready to take the test on short notice.

Sadly, those refs have passed up a golden opportunity. Hopefully they can pick themselves up and go again, and work on the fitness to make sure it doesn't fail them on future. For some, they've travelled a long way at personal expense to not even get through the first exercise must be very disappointing.
Yeh, I mean Level 4 is the referees graveyard. I'd be mortified if I was unable to take a lifeline out due to failing the fitness test on the Assessment Day. Very real chance those refs who failed might be waiting a very long time for another chance

What are the targets and are we talking FIFA format or?

(40m under 6s, 40x 75/25 18s/20s or what?)

exactly...if you were in with a chance you had more than enough time

no sympathy at all and hope they're bumped down whatever list there is for future promotions

What are the targets and are we talking FIFA format or?

(40m under 6s, 40x 75/25 18s/20s or what?)

someone will probably correct me...

4x 40m sprints in 6.2 seconds (timing gates used).
then its the 75/25 x40 run with 15 seconds for the run and 22 for the walk.

someone will probably correct me...

4x 40m sprints in 6.2 seconds (timing gates used).
then its the 75/25 x40 run with 15 seconds for the run and 22 for the walk.
I’m presuming people are failing the 4k then. Really shouldn’t be refereeing big field football if you can’t do a few 6s 40m - especially given the moving start and breaks.

But the 15s 75m is quite the pace to keep coming back to. Especially without practice at coping with the mental barrier at half way (or whenever).

Here I have a few friends that failed it last year. Our pre-season test is in April so I start training… tomorrow;) (really!)

I’m presuming people are failing the 4k then. Really shouldn’t be refereeing big field football if you can’t do a few 6s 40m - especially given the moving start and breaks.

But the 15s 75m is quite the pace to keep coming back to. Especially without practice at coping with the mental barrier at half way (or whenever).

Here I have a few friends that failed it last year. Our pre-season test is in April so I start training… tomorrow;) (really!)
personally i know i'd find the sprints harder. the 75/25 is all mental and (imo) really not THAT hard. way easier than the old L3 cooper test imo (2700m in 12 mins)

Last edited:

C.Half of the people that failed, failed the sprints. For what reason I dont know. Either 1. didn't warm Up properly and got injured. 2 couldn't pass the gates in time.

I could understand 1 (not warming up is unforgivable) but it would at least explain. Having spent X amount of time (it would take me.5.5 hrs to get to Loughborough) in a car to then ask the body to do maximal sprints from cold.is a very high risk of injury.
personally i know i'd find the sprints harder. the 75/25 is all mental and (imo) really not THAT hard. way easier than the old L3 cooper test imo (2600m in 12 mins)
L3s used to run 2700m but your point is the same of course.

Reactions: es1
C.Half of the people that failed, failed the sprints. For what reason I dont know. Either 1. didn't warm Up properly and got injured. 2 couldn't pass the gates in time.

I could understand 1 (not warming up is unforgivable) but it would at least explain. Having spent X amount of time (it would take me.5.5 hrs to get to Loughborough) in a car to then ask the body to do maximal sprints from cold.is a very high risk of injury.

L3s used to run 2700m but your point is the same of course.
To be fair, we had to get to the venue at our own expense, but the FA did say they would willingly cover hotel expenses the night before up to £100, so the journey time isn't really an excuse.

I also will say that I had very tight hamstrings last Wed/Thurs/ Fri, but I passed the fitness stuff with relative ease.

Edit: There was another part of the day with a physical element to it, not just the fitness tests.

Do level 4s not do sprints as part of their fitness test ? Whilst I don't know what 50% of 50% translates to in actual numbers, that ratio of 4s not being able to perform more of a fast run as opposed to a real sprint is alarming.

Do level 4s not do sprints as part of their fitness test ? Whilst I don't know what 50% of 50% translates to in actual numbers, that ratio of 4s not being able to perform more of a fast run as opposed to a real sprint is alarming.
There are sprints as part of the level 4 fitness test, I can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

They don't use timing gates however, so there's every chance people get through that wouldn't get through using gates.

yes, but they're not timed (accurately) at L4, only L3

Level 4 test is 2 x 50m sprints in 7.5s. not gated. And are performed after the run walk test so body is well warmed up.

25% ;)

personally i know i'd find the sprints harder. the 75/25 is all mental and (imo) really not THAT hard. way easier than the old L3 cooper test imo (2700m in 12 mins)
Could be recency bias but I’ve done a 2850 Cooper (twice) and a 17-22s FIFA 4k (also twice) both not that long ago and I found the FIFA much harder (and I’m presuming the 15s version would just that bit harder).

But fair enough on the sprints. But then I am built for speed not for comfort as they say;)

• Haha
Reactions: es1
Back