A&H

Felix Brych suffers likely ACL tear

RefIADad

RefChat Addict
Brych was officiating his 344th Bundesliga game, which tied a record. He was injured in the 33rd minute of the Eintracht Frankfurt-Stuttgart game, with 28 year old Patrick Schwengers stepping in at the start of the 2nd half in his Bundesliga debut.

Best wishes to Dr. Brych on his recovery. Hopefully, he will recover in a manner to conclude his elite refereeing career on his terms instead of this injury dictating the end of his career.

The Referee Store
Sadly a 48 year old referee rupturing an ACL is very unlikely to return to an elite level. ACL recoveries have come on a lot in recent years, but that is with state of the art medical equipment and staff, something referees won't necessarily get access to. Plus players aren't 48 years old. Wish him all the best but I suspect he will retire.

Sadly a 48 year old referee rupturing an ACL is very unlikely to return to an elite level. ACL recoveries have come on a lot in recent years, but that is with state of the art medical equipment and staff, something referees won't necessarily get access to. Plus players aren't 48 years old. Wish him all the best but I suspect he will retire.
To be fair, by “his terms” that may not necessarily mean an elite level match like a Bundesliga match. Maybe it’s just a low level cup match or something like that. But if it were me, I’d feel like I would do everything possible to come back for a decent level game.

I do agree that he’s very likely not coming back as a full time BL official. He’s had a great career. Along with Bjorn Kuipers and Clattenberg, Brych is in the top tier of European officials with their real primes in the 2012-2020 time frame.

Depends on the nature of the rupture. A partial tear might not take too long to mend. A full severance would be catastrophic, but I can't imagine he would have finished the half with a completely severed ACL.

Back