A&H

Failing to Respect the Distance

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Had a first for me this weekend, two cautions in the same game for failing to respect the distance. To be honest, they both seemed fairly cast-iron, to me, but I do wonder if I set my bar a little too low in the moment?

First one was a fairly straightforward trip near the half way line by a home defender a few munites before half time. Both the fouled player and the fouler move away, but a home attacker comes barrelling in from 10-20 yards behind the play to put himself infront of the ball. I'm of the opinion at this point that the away team are making a genuine attempt to look for a quick FK (which I'm perfectly happy to allow), but can't do so because of this home attacker. I tell him to move away, he refuses and a second or two later, the away team player kicks the ball into him (with minimal force) to make the point.

I whistle and pull out my card - cue complaints of "that's soft ref!" and "I hope you're going to be consistent with that". After I've noted everything I need, I took a moment to explain to the captain that it was his player running from a distance to stop it that I didn't like....

And of course, two minutes later: very similar foul in a very similar position, but the other way round. This time, the fouling player (who had fallen over in the process of bundling over his opponent) is the one that jumps up, takes a few quick steps to get in the way of the ball and the home team immediately play it into his legs and appeal as one for a card. While not as blatant as the first one and with me not having the opportunity to order him away, I still felt that he'd done enough to put himself in the way that refusing to card would have been a match control disaster, so out it came.

Minimal fuss the second time from everyone except the cautioned player, and fortunately no more blocking FK's for the rest of the match. So I guess it had the desired outcome, but I was wondering what peoples guidelines are on if/when to card for this, and if you think I was wrong to caution a lesser version of the offence with the second player just because of the context I'd set up on the first? Also, what's the most of these you've had to give in one match, can anyone beat two?

The Referee Store
I agree with both of your calls as described. I’ve never had to give more than one in a match. The rats usually learn from the first one.

Agree with both. Quick question though, had the second incident happened without the first one, would you have still cautioned it?

The point being, although the second one was deserved, the card had more to do with context and game management rather than the isolated incident.

but I was wondering what peoples guidelines are on if/when to card for this, and if you think I was wrong to caution a lesser version of the offence with the second player just because of the context I'd set up on the first?

Just be consistent with it, that's all it really is I think. And I think in this case you were obviously consistent, and it dealt with the situation for the rest of the game, so it is two justified cautions.

Agree with both. Quick question though, had the second incident happened without the first one, would you have still cautioned it?

The point being, although the second one was deserved, the card had more to do with context and game management rather than the isolated incident.
That's pretty much my concern and why I wanted to post about it. Usually I would say that to get a card out for this, the player has to run a distance to get involved or ignore an instruction to move away. The first player did both, the second player did neither (in part because the other team made the decision before I had a chance to order him away).

Although by the letter of the law he failed to respect the distance, because of the match situation I didn't apply a level of leniency that I normally probably would have done?

That's pretty much my concern and why I wanted to post about it. Usually I would say that to get a card out for this, the player has to run a distance to get involved or ignore an instruction to move away. The first player did both, the second player did neither (in part because the other team made the decision before I had a chance to order him away).

Although by the letter of the law he failed to respect the distance, because of the match situation I didn't apply a level of leniency that I normally probably would have done?
We talk about context a lot. You nailed the context here.

Reactions: one
This is quite a common thing and I applaud your actions.
I’d give them one verbal chance if they just stood there but zero chances if they made every attempt to block a free kick deliberately with a stuck out leg etc. Easy YC and quite common, even instructed by captains too.

I'm posting this here because the consistency theme is what I'm looking for comment on.

Isthmian Under 18s - About 10 mins in, losing team's striker hammers the ball into the net after flag then whistle for offside. Cue the usual (misinformed) cries for a caution for 'kicking the ball away'. Ref went for a very public, quite long lecture. Much later in the game, winning side (Only 2-1) about 10 minutes left do exactly the same - this time its a yellow. I think both actions, in the context of the game, were correct BUT there was the odd moan from players about consistency - 'What about that one in the first half ref?'

No 100% right, 100% wrong answer here - I guess its consistency v context/common sense

Thoughts?

I'm posting this here because the consistency theme is what I'm looking for comment on.

Isthmian Under 18s - About 10 mins in, losing team's striker hammers the ball into the net after flag then whistle for offside. Cue the usual (misinformed) cries for a caution for 'kicking the ball away'. Ref went for a very public, quite long lecture. Much later in the game, winning side (Only 2-1) about 10 minutes left do exactly the same - this time its a yellow. I think both actions, in the context of the game, were correct BUT there was the odd moan from players about consistency - 'What about that one in the first half ref?'

No 100% right, 100% wrong answer here - I guess its consistency v context/common sense

Thoughts?
If side A gets one chance then so should side b. Wrong decision here.

If side A gets one chance then so should side b. Wrong decision here.
If he'd only given the free kick and ignored the dissent then I'd agree, but since he gave "a very public, quite long lecture" then that's a warning to both sides not to do it again, not just the team offending on this occasion. Everyone knew why he was being spoken to so doing the same after seeing that is stupid. He's assuming he has a freebie and won't be cautioned because the other one wasn't. He was obviously wrong. I'd have done the same and it wouldn't matter which team did it first.

Thoughts?

I would be pulling the referee up on this for the first occurrence. Publicly speaking to a player who has committed an offence that carries a mandatory caution is really not a very good idea as you are saying he committed the offence but aren't cautioning. If he didn't commit an offence then why are you publicly giving him a public telling off? By all means have a quiet word as you run past him, but you cannot dress someone down for an offence punishable by a mandatory caution and then not cautioning, especially when it is a visible offence like kicking the ball away.

For me context is important. If it happens and his team is losing I'm going to be much less inclined to caution than I would be if his team is winning, especially if they are holding onto a league. But once I've penalised it once I would penalise all other offences the same regardless of the score line.

If he'd only given the free kick and ignored the dissent then I'd agree, but since he gave "a very public, quite long lecture" then that's a warning to both sides not to do it again, not just the team offending on this occasion. Everyone knew why he was being spoken to so doing the same after seeing that is stupid. He's assuming he has a freebie and won't be cautioned because the other one wasn't. He was obviously wrong. I'd have done the same and it wouldn't matter which team did it first.
I see your point but if the second event happens relatively close to the second i'd give both a loud verbal warning. Seems fairer to me.

Players standing in front of the ball before a free kick or picking up the ball right after a foul called against them is both my pet peeve and a potential flashpoint as the game progresses. It is important to nip it in the bud early on, as if you wait until the 70th minute, you will then be in a position that you don't want to be. That being said, it has unfortunately become a somewhat accepted tactic by most of football (excluding referees and opposing team players). As a result of that, I would recommend taking the time to make a very public rebuke of any player who does this the first time and follow that with cautions for any player, on either team, who choose to do it again.

A phrase I often use, especially if I’m already in position ready for the free kick to be taken and a player stands in front of the ball is:

“Walk away blue, don’t make me come over and count them out, it’ll only make me grumpy”

which seems to be surprisingly effective, yet still gives me suitable wriggle room (i.e I’m not committing myself to giving a card, but keeps the option on the table) if they don’t

I regularly caution for preventing a quick fee kick, and there are all sorts of variations of players doing this, but the easiset and most annoying one is if anyone who wasn't even involved in the foul, and is perhaps quite some distance from it, runs to stand in front of the ball. Out comes Mr Yellow.

Can't remember what my maximum number of bookings for this was in any one game, but on an ever so slightly different theme, I booked an entire wall (of only 4 players) for not retreating when told to do so.

I booked an entire wall (of only 4 players) for not retreating when told to do so.
Very much disagree with this. While there is nothing the LOTG stopping you from doing it, almost every assessor/observer will tell you pick one player for for one caution only. Reminds me of a young referee who cautioned an entire team for excessive celebration early in the first half. One player was send off for second yellow in the second half. The team lost by a goal (when down to 10 players). The game got replayed.

Totally agree with @one --pick the worst offender or the one that has otherwise been asking for a caution. (And if it would be a second caution, be really sure that was the worst offender.)

Reactions: one
Ye can disagree all ye want. I'm not going to change, and I'd do the same again. Also, I do not (and never have) cared what assessors think (or anyone else for that matter). I have MY way of doing things, and it always works "for me". Each to their own.

Ye can disagree all ye want. I'm not going to change, and I'd do the same again. Also, I do not (and never have) cared what assessors think (or anyone else for that matter). I have MY way of doing things, and it always works "for me". Each to their own.
Without wanting to be too upfront, can I ask what is the reason you joined this forum?

Back