A&H

Ladies FA Women's Premier League Reserves

Kieran W

I've been appointed to a fixture on the FA WPL Reserves division on Sunday afternoon. Has anyone ever done one of these fixtures before, if so, what are the matchday expectations?

I think I've found the correct competition rules on the FA Website, just about to check with the home club.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Smart attire, respect handshake & then its just like any other open age 11 a side.

Comp rules should give you post match info (Match report sent to...), if it doesn't, ask your appts officer.

Lets us know how it goes

Women's football, like the male version, can be one sided.

Can also throw up refereeing challenges like any other game!

Now got an AR appointment for the first team WPL. Anyone know what level the middle is for these games, essentially step 3 of the women's leagues if you include the WSL1&2?

I AR on WPL (step 3) and also step 4 quite regularly.

As Harry says, usually level 4s in the middle, but have been out with some 5s at that level also.

Yup, good fun games to be involved in. I have actively chosen to prioritise the FAWPL ahead of men's matches on Sundays. Partly because of better grounds, better hospitality and working with NARs but also because it provides more interesting variety alongside the Supply & Contrib stuff on Saturdays & Tuesdays. Fair to say that there is a huge gulf in standard between those teams at the top of Step 3 (the Southern & Northern divisions) and those towards the bottom of Step 4 (all the various 'Division Ones')

There's no level requirement for WPL, I used to get middles when I was a L3 and L4, I still get them now I'm a L5. Assistants are appointed by the local CFA and in my experience are usually L7s.

WSL has minimum levels for both referees and assistants, but not the WPL.

Thanks Rusty I didn't know that. On a related point - in a competition where there IS a minimum requirement level and the referee did not turn up, does the game go ahead with one of the 'under qualified' assistants as it were?

I'm guessing it would at relatively lower levels but in WSL 1 or the National League (Level 5) for example, would game be OK to be played with senior asst in charge?

Thanks

Another question :D :

Is there a usual dress code for these games or is it the referee's own preference?

Going to check with him anyway but just want to know if there's already a league expectation.

Is there a usual dress code for these games or is it the referee's own preference?

Going to check with him anyway but just want to know if there's already a league expectation.

Jacket, shirt, tie - no jeans or trainers for all the ones in Middx.

Thanks Rusty I didn't know that. On a related point - in a competition where there IS a minimum requirement level and the referee did not turn up, does the game go ahead with one of the 'under qualified' assistants as it were?

I'm guessing it would at relatively lower levels but in WSL 1 or the National League (Level 5) for example, would game be OK to be played with senior asst in charge?

Thanks
I would guess so. When i did wsl there were 3 level 3s and me a level 4. Although not sure thats normal as the observer seemed a bit confused why the 2 other level 3s were on the game

Thanks

Yes, would still go ahead, that's why they put a senior referee as 4th official on the bigger WSL games and certainly on the televised games. When I was L3 I did loads of games as 4th man when the cameras where there, with usually a 2A or 2B in the middle, whereas if not on the TV I'd be in the middle. Had the same in the men's FA Cup, as a L3 was baffled to find myself appointed as 4th official for an extra qualifying round, where normally referee would be L4 and assistants L5 and no 4th man, only to then find it was being televised live.

Same goes at all levels including the men's game, game would still go ahead and they'd try to get a local official to step in or even someone from the crowd. That's why at Football League and above referees are not allowed to travel together, even if they live next door to each other and the ground is 200 miles away they have to travel separately. That way if the car breaks down or something else happens they will only be one official down, although of course that falls apart if there is a major accident that closes the roads.

Absolutely suited and booted for those games.

I really had enough of reffing 22 old washer women in OA Mens Neanderthal League to ever consider the women game. I often used the say out loud to some of the players that it was probably the only 2 hours peace some of these Wags got seeing their fellas out playing football!! It used to break the ice with a nag nag nag defender!!!

I've been appointed as a 5 to the middle for a WPL game between two reserve sides and it's the closest I've ever come to calling a match off before it started for a kit clash! Aside from that it was a treat to ref though - only YC was for a tactical foul late on from a team defending a 1 goal league, players were generally happy to accept decisions without too much fuss and handshakes all round at the end.

Back