The Ref Stop

FA Head of Refereeing

The Ref Stop
The FA Refereeing Department have just posted on X looking for new MDCs for Step 3-6 officials, but that's another topic. The contacts given there for National Referee Managers are:
Mo Matadar
Ross Joyce
Is this what you were looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mo Matadar was the appointments officer for North West Counties (Step 5-6), then left for a new role - Referee Manager I believe.

Not sure if this is actually filling the role that Dan Meeson was in.

Mo Matadar was the appointments officer for North West Counties (Step 5-6), then left for a new role - Referee Manager I believe.

Steve Tanner was temporary filling the role left by Dan Meeson in February, though interviews for the permanent position were being held in March/April, but we are now nearly in June and I can’t see any formal announcement on the FA website.

I was under the impression that Ed Duckworth had stepped in to Dan Meeson's role and Ross Joyce had taken up Ed Duckworth's, but I may be totally wrong.

That’s possible but just haven’t seen any formal announcement which is surprising in view of such a Senior role.

Found the answer this morning.
Thank you for posting/letting me know. Bit of a surprise since he has no background to English football, but as far as I am aware, it was a thorough recruitment process, so I think we all have to trust it and see what happens. For the past few seasons the Head of Refereeing has been at the L2B Observer event held during the summer - which this year is earlier than usual in a few weeks time, so I may see him there, though an article in Australia says his role doesn’t start until the end of July, so perhaps I won’t !

Last edited:
Who knows. We may even end up with peace in the middle east.
I'd certainly give them my forthright opinion, regardless of whether I understood matters

Refereeing Manifesto
1) Maintain fairly strict stance on Dissent and Delaying the Restart, but don't get silly with it
2) Clamp down on pathetic (Unsporting) behaviour in the game, including cheating
3) Stop making significant changes to the LOTG until VAR stops ruining the game
4) SAO to replace line drawing sharpish. Fast-track tech to notify the (now redundant) flagman about offside position so they can quickly judge offside offence (even if the dreaded delayed flag is an unavoidable consequence of VAR)
5) If the Referees don't want their job to be made redundant like that of the Assistants, they MUST resume refereeing the game themselves

The emphasis would be on 'Taking back control'. The participants have control, whilst we sh1t ourselves that WE might spoil the game when it's actually THEM who are spoiling it'

I can't see any scope for 'subjective VAR' improving. I'd like to see the Leagues put immense pressure on IFAB/FA with the real threat that they'll bin it if I'm right. For now, the off-field monitor serves absolutely no purpose (other than to add delay), so that would go immediately

Last edited:
I would suggest most of your thoughts are outside the remit of the new Head of Refereeing (Technical), certainly anything to do with VAR/Laws of the Game. It will be Nathan’s role to continue to structure the Pathway in the best way possible and to identify and nurture talent throughout the ranks with the aim of getting the best to the EFL/PL.

I would suggest most of your thoughts are outside the remit of the new Head of Refereeing (Technical), certainly anything to do with VAR/Laws of the Game. It will be Nathan’s role to continue to structure the Pathway in the best way possible and to identify and nurture talent throughout the ranks with the aim of getting the best to the EFL/PL.
Well yes, I realize the new Head of Refereeing would not target world domination as I intend to when taking his job as part of my master plan

Last edited:
Back