A&H

FA Cup

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I have just seen a Chelsea player pushed in the back (for a penalty) and nothing awarded - seemed blatant to me.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Nonsense insight from the commentary team as a usual as well. Jenas saying it’s not a penalty because Ziyech was never getting to the ball

The problem is that it is very difficult to determine if the push meets the threshold of careless because the Chelsea player jumped onto the ground. Had the attacker not simulated, the referee would have known the true effect of the push and could have made an informed decision about whether the push was careless.

How about the two footed flying lunge by Thiago?

OK he won the ball, but that's an insane challenge. Literally launched through the air, at speed, two footed.

Haven't seen a replay of the Thiago challenge, but didn't look good on first viewing. Craig Pawson appeared to delay the restart to speak to him at the next stoppage.

Milner was lucky to escape without a card after his somewhat agricultural challenge in the Chelsea area shortly after coming on.

How about the two footed flying lunge by Thiago?

OK he won the ball, but that's an insane challenge. Literally launched through the air, at speed, two footed.
I wouldn't go SFP, only because the direction of the tackle is away from the opponent, so I'd argue it isn't really endangering the opponent's safety. Would definitely call it reckless though.

Are you suggesting that a/every two-footed tackle is a red card offence?
Wouldn't you be endangering the player's safety? An inch to the left/right and that's a snapped leg.

Not sure how you could 2 foot someone safely... Especially after running 10m or so to build up speed and therefore force.

Is that what my post said? How’ve you interrupted that from the words I have written?

Here’s a slow motion of it as well.
Your post was headlined about a "two footed tackle"
If you are going to penalise a challenge or tackle, you need to start with the LOTG.
Has the challenge in question included any of the headings for a d. f. k.?
I am not saying yes or no, just sense checking by using Law 12 instead of using media phrases like "two footed tackle"
If you don't find a d. f. k. offence, maybe you would consider an i. f. k for PIADM. If so, would you dismiss for that?
Player reaction by the defender after the incident is worth a look too.

If you are going to penalise a challenge or tackle, you need to start with the LOTG.
I am not saying yes or no, just sense checking by using Law 12 instead of using media phrases like "two footed tackle"
If you don't find a d. f. k. offence, maybe you would consider an i. f. k for PIADM. If so, would you dismiss for that?
I'd say:
Charges and jumps at + challenges + using excessive force.

Excessive due to the distance he ran, how high he jumped to lunge in, and the speed and force of the challenge.

I didn’t post the Twitter post… so it’s not my headline? I’m just saying I saw the replay, came here to see the discussion and posted the clip to help others base their opinions. Based on that video I think the following -

Excessive force. Out of control, he’s jumped from a good 1M+ with both feet off the ground. He’s over the top of the ball as well. He’s putting any player at danger of a serious injury with challenges like that, and he’s lucky that the Chelsea player wasn’t in the process of playing the ball.

Came here after seeing this on Twitter. This is a pretty clear RC for me…

The only issue is absolutely no one seems to be appealing for it.

If you sent him off, yes, maybe the pundits will say you're spot on, but it looks like both teams would be a bit mystified about the call?

To be honest, if I saw that happen in my games I'd be going for red and then I'd be doubting myself immediately because it seems no one cares in that clip.

Back