A&H

FA / County Cup Expectations

I will be leading a team of three and I will be in contact with them a week before to arrange travel, dress code etc. Yes we will all have something to eat afterwards, If I am not driving I might have a pint, if I am driving I won't. Where will we eat? I have eaten away from players in some places and in the same room as others. If you are leading a team of three communication before the game is just good manners.

The Referee Store
The communication I've had from refs has always been spot on to be fair. Clear instructions on dress code, times etc. Suit seemed a little excessive for the standard we were at (I've played at the same standard and it was white polo shirts back then for the refs!) And the players were just in colours and not shirt and tie but hey ho it's no big issue.

I filled in last minute (literally two hours before kick off) at a central midlands game last year and I rang the ref to tell him I was coming straight from a morning match and I'd be in my kit. He leant me a shirt and tie he had in his car! Talk about being prepared

I don't doubt any of that for a minute, but I'm not sure how having a shandy or a beer after a match can be deemed as unnecessary? Unnecessary to whom? I certainly would not expect a referee or allow them to tell me what to drink, nor would I do the same to anyone who works for me after an event or function. If a director formed a view on me because I had 1 beer after a match then I'd be amazed and I'd also think that they were being ridiculous.

It's a perception thing, and that is more important the higher the level you go. At supply level and above, and certainly at contrib, you aren't that likely to see the players drinking alcohol after the game as that is not something that any sportsperson should do (after exercise you should never touch alcohol until you have drunk enough water to turn your urine clear, which I am sure we all know … :)). There's an expectation at these levels that the referees have minimum fitness levels, and tucking into a pint after the game just doesn't look very professional as you should have worked so hard you need to re-hydrate. You also need to remember that you as an assistant aren't being marked by the clubs, the referee is, so you have to take his lead on things.

It isn't just alcohol. I remember turning up to one game as an assistant when the other assistant turned up with a McDonald's coffee and the referee wasn't happy. It drew comments from players, and whilst he had only stopped there for a coffee it didn't portray the right impression to turn up to a semi-pro game with something from a fast food restaurant .

It's a perception thing, and that is more important the higher the level you go. At supply level and above, and certainly at contrib, you aren't that likely to see the players drinking alcohol after the game as that is not something that any sportsperson should do (after exercise you should never touch alcohol until you have drunk enough water to turn your urine clear, which I am sure we all know … :)). There's an expectation at these levels that the referees have minimum fitness levels, and tucking into a pint after the game just doesn't look very professional as you should have worked so hard you need to re-hydrate. You also need to remember that you as an assistant aren't being marked by the clubs, the referee is, so you have to take his lead on things.

It isn't just alcohol. I remember turning up to one game as an assistant when the other assistant turned up with a McDonald's coffee and the referee wasn't happy. It drew comments from players, and whilst he had only stopped there for a coffee it didn't portray the right impression to turn up to a semi-pro game with something from a fast food restaurant .
One ref had us out so early I had to take my lunch with me. And I'll admit I should have chosen a better option than a pie. Whilst it didnt impact the ref on this occasion as I ate it in the changing room the home manager came in to say hello and did comment on it, all be it in jest. So I can totally agree with this.

For my very first county cup appointment on the line I turned up in my kit. I had only reffed juniour football up until this point. Felt like a right plonker when I arrived to find the ref and other AR in shirt and tie.

I did an FA cup game last season on line. Referee contacted us saying that polo and tracksuit is fine. Him and the other assistant were good friends outside of football and both traveled together. I arrived 15 minutes before them in my tracksuit and was happily chatting away with the managers, they then rocked up in suits. Safe to say I was fuming.

I'm sorry but if someone complained that i had a McDonald's coffee on me id just laugh. I simply could not care about their perception because it's completely irrelevant. You can't pander to perception, especially regarding something so insignificant as a cup of coffee from a fast food outlet. The referee is in charge but he isn't in charge of what you eat and drink, same as your employer etc. Having played at a level where we had AR's every week, nobody would give two hoots about a ref having a McDonald's cup of coffee or a beer after the game. It's only a game. Yes we want to be professional, but we shouldn't be controlled by a perception that isn't relevant to that level or pander to expectations which don't even exist

Hmm... something a bit dated about the expectations discussed above
Suits have been on their way out for decades

Hmm... something a bit dated about the expectations discussed above
Suits have been on their way out for decades
Not at Supply/County/FA games. There is an expectation that you will be very smartly dressed and suited'n'booted is the request of most referees at that level.

You also need to remember that you as an assistant aren't being marked by the clubs, the referee is, so you have to take his lead on things.

@Ben448844 - Remember, also as @RustyRef say's the clubs don't mark you, but the referee does on his match return card.

@Ben448844 - Remember, also as @RustyRef say's the clubs don't mark you, but the referee does on his match return card.

Not overly worried about marks myself, too old for that. But more importantly, marking somebody down for having a cup of McDonald's coffee or a beer afterwards would be completely spurious.

I have no problem wearing whatever is required, looking smart and giving my absolute best every time. Thats important. But I'm afraid I couldn't be told not to eat or drink something. That's not important.

As I explained in an earlier post, these posts will come across as argumentative but that's certainly not the tone in which I write these posts. To some people these things are important and I accept that and I accept that we are all different with different expectations. In the same way In which some officials think it's important not to have a beer or a coffee from McDonald's, I think it's irrelevant in the extreme. Hey ho, such is life

Not at Supply/County/FA games. There is an expectation that you will be very smartly dressed and suited'n'booted is the request of most referees at that level.
Yeh i get that, but the whole thing sounds yesteryear
Most high street suit shops have gone to the wall cos it's increasingly an old folkies market

Most high street suit shops have gone to the wall cos it's increasingly an old folkies market
Maybe, but you have to understand that the upper echelons of many clubs at and above Step 6 have expectations that match officials will be suited and booted; it's not just the leagues and Counties. When you can pick up a suit, short and tie combo that will pass muster, all for less than 3 match fees, what's the problem? Unless you're just in it for the money

Depends on the industry. Myself and everyone around me are expected to wear suits everyday for work and we aren’t even customer facing

It has got nothing to do with what is happening in society. I work for a city based FTSE 100 company and we now have no dress policy, dealers and fund managers can turn up in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops should they wish. When I first joined this company 15 years ago you weren't allowed onto the trading floor without a tie and jacket. So yes, that side of things has moved on.

I personally think football and refereeing should, but it is a long way off at present, and a lot of that is down to the clubs. Many clubs have policies that you won't be allowed in the boardroom unless you are suited and booted. That will probably change over time, but remember that many of the people running clubs are retirees and will have put on a suit just to go and pick up their take away or newspaper, so the concept of people turning up in tracksuits or jeans will be totally alien to them.

Perception is key. I know people have criticised the coffee comment, but do you really look professional if you turn up to a game with a McDonalds coffee cup? No, you don't. Goes way beyond this though, I observed on a supply league game last season where a team in the North of Bedfordshire were playing a team from London. The match officials were all from London, and they all travelled together, but wearing their London FA ties. That is madness, and they were getting comments before they had even got from their car to the changing room (F*** me lads, the officials have come with the oppo). They've killed their match control before they even set foot on the pitch, and these are things that as a referee you need to think about.

It has got nothing to do with what is happening in society. I work for a city based FTSE 100 company and we now have no dress policy, dealers and fund managers can turn up in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops should they wish. When I first joined this company 15 years ago you weren't allowed onto the trading floor without a tie and jacket. So yes, that side of things has moved on.

I personally think football and refereeing should, but it is a long way off at present, and a lot of that is down to the clubs. Many clubs have policies that you won't be allowed in the boardroom unless you are suited and booted. That will probably change over time, but remember that many of the people running clubs are retirees and will have put on a suit just to go and pick up their take away or newspaper, so the concept of people turning up in tracksuits or jeans will be totally alien to them.

Perception is key. I know people have criticised the coffee comment, but do you really look professional if you turn up to a game with a McDonalds coffee cup? No, you don't. Goes way beyond this though, I observed on a supply league game last season where a team in the North of Bedfordshire were playing a team from London. The match officials were all from London, and they all travelled together, but wearing their London FA ties. That is madness, and they were getting comments before they had even got from their car to the changing room (F*** me lads, the officials have come with the oppo). They've killed their match control before they even set foot on the pitch, and these are things that as a referee you need to think about.

I work for a Silicon Valley software company. Even at our main industry event, that attracts over 25,000 people our CEO stands on stage in jeans, with a jacket, but no tie. I only ever wear a tie for football these days. I tend not to go in a suit, usually a smart pair of trousers, coupled with a blazer or smart jacket. I always wear either my county FA tie or my supply league tie, depending on what league I'm doing.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, it's a little old fashioned, yes, but it does help you to project an aura of professionalism to the teams.

Maybe, but you have to understand that the upper echelons of many clubs at and above Step 6 have expectations that match officials will be suited and booted; it's not just the leagues and Counties. When you can pick up a suit, short and tie combo that will pass muster, all for less than 3 match fees, what's the problem? Unless you're just in it for the money

Step 6, as it's now called, is a level I won't ever reach as an official i woudnt have thought and certainly didn't beyond a couple of pre season friendlies about 18 years ago as a player. My experiences as an AR and a player are more entry level semi pro stuff. South Manchester league and Central Midlands. Majority of players are young lads who have exceeded in amateur/junior footy or failed in academies + a few semi pro veterans who still want to play proper football. Nobody cares about coffee or beer etc but will expect shirt and tie because that's what they've always seen. The managers are often ex semi pros who have been given a job in the reserve team to start their managerial careers. It may look relatively professional but these are players who have full time jobs and will be out on the lash on a Saturday night like just like amateur teams. Perhaps it's because I've experienced the playing side that gives me my perceptions and knowledge of the expectations at that level. No doubt the referees expect standards befitting of higher standard football but all the refs I've seen at that level are 25 and under so far and are career refs so I don't mind the full suit etc even though it's a bit unnecessary. A couple of times the older AR's that had been doing it a long time didn't turn up in a shirt and tie etc and you could see that this affected the ref a bit

Last edited:
Back