A&H

F*ggot

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bstard

Interesting case in two separate games:

Game recently where I was running the line. One player tells one of his own team, jokingly, that he's a faggot. I let the ref know, ref does nothing.

Another game, where I was in the middle. Player tells opponent to 'get up you faggot' (not a malicious, in-your-face way, but pseudo-jokingly) after a challenge. I sent him off for OFFINABUS.

To my mind, the word faggot is like the word n*gger - it is a word specifically used to denigrate a particular part of society, to undermine and seriously offend them. I feel that the first instance should be as much a red card - if someone jokingly called their teammate a n*gger or a chink or whatnot I'd send them off too.

Opinions?

The Referee Store
My urban dictionary is split on this one - it's either a term for a "loser" or something about someone's sexuality

In your example, I'd be looking to let it go - especially if it was said in the way you describe

i had to think about this one first incident between team mates didnt seem to cause offence do nothing,
2nd yellow card for aaa

Scenario 1.

Get back on the line mate.

Scenario 2.

As you've described it I couldn't care less.

Let me get this right. You manage dogs and second cautions to save your match control.

But in these two situations, in terms of no surprise refereeing you'd dish out a very harsh red card where no one is expecting it which more than likely totally ruin your match control and have everyone think your an 'expletive'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Ontario, Canada, that's one of the few words that's on the mandatory automatic sending off list. In fact, such words also elicit a mandatory discipline hearing and carry a longer sentence for racism, homophobia, and so forth.

So, here where I ref? Both of those are straight sendings off, and if I am an AR on the game (we don't use club refs, NARs or no ARs) and the referee does not send off, I am required to submit a post-match incident report detailing the language used.

Scenario 1.

Get back on the line mate.

No. My job as an assistant referee is to provide support - hearing something and having a word is part of my role.

Scenario 2.

As you've described it I couldn't care less.

Let me get this right. You manage dogs and second cautions to save your match control.

But in these two situations, in terms of no surprise refereeing you'd dish out a very harsh red card where no one is expecting it which more than likely totally ruin your match control and have everyone think your an 'expletive'.

Same scenario, two black players, either team. One calls the other a n*gger. Acceptable? Or straight red?

What about a white player calling a black player a n*gger?

Faggot is a homophobic insult. N*gger is a racist insult. How are they different?

No. My job as an assistant referee is to provide support - hearing something and having a word is part of my role.

Same scenario, two black players, either team. One calls the other a n*gger. Acceptable? Or straight red?

What about a white player calling a black player a n*gger?

Faggot is a homophobic insult. N*gger is a racist insult. How are they different?

I agree. You report what you hear, the ref disagrees then that is his decision, you have done your job.

As for your second point, 100% agree. Unacceptable language (either the n word or f*****t). Offinabus all day long if I am in the middle.

N*gger is a racial insult if it's directed to a black person, would you send off a black guy saying to his white friend "oh come on nigga !" as he would say "oh come on mate !" ? Just because he used the word ?
So why would "f*ggot" be an homophobic insult no matter what context and who the "insult" is directed to ?
Obviously the player isn't saying "F*ck you because you're gay" he's just saying something like "oh come on don't be a p*ssy man"

Plus you say it was an obvious joke and good spirit both times, so really, I can't understand your point

You would appear to live in a word where bigotry, racism and homophobia can be taken or left. Laughed off. If you start making excuses for people using words such as n*gger or f*ggot then it is a slippery slope my friend. You may wish to justify your stance that people can use these words (insults) in some situations or context, but then in the same paragraph you accept it as deeply offensive in other situations - this makes no sense whatsoever.

You may find my point above difficult to understand, I find you willingness to allow people to use words as a bit of banter as seriously deluded.

Your duty as a ref isn't to be Captain America and make the world a better place, yes we live in a world where "n*gga" can be used as "mate", you want to send off a player bc he called his friend "n*gga" like probably everyday they see each other, go on, but please don't make me look like Hitler because I don't share your point of view

Nice mellow dramatics with the hitler comment.

We certainly do not agree on this. I could not disagree with you more, in fact. But that is fine you are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Lets leave it there.

Free speech and free opinions. I lay somewhere between the two of you on my opinion on this but all opinions are equally valid, even if you do not agree.

Charlie Hebdo was an example of the beauty of free speech and highlighted how lucky we are to have this freedom. Please respect each others opinion and dont start shooting each other down because you disagree. No one is correct and no one is incorrect, but in your own heads you are both 100% correct and the other is 100% wrong. What a wonderful world.

If we were all the same it would be a very boring world to live in!

Unplug the political correctness chip and then evaluate what is being said, how it is being said, why it is being said and what reaction it provokes.....then decide on a course of action.....

Player on player OFFINABUS is very subjective in all but a few circumstances and context is key.

Free speech and free opinions. I lay somewhere between the two of you on my opinion on this but all opinions are equally valid, even if you do not agree.

Charlie Hebdo was an example of the beauty of free speech and highlighted how lucky we are to have this freedom. Please respect each others opinion and dont start shooting each other down because you disagree. No one is correct and no one is incorrect, but in your own heads you are both 100% correct and the other is 100% wrong. What a wonderful world.

If we were all the same it would be a very boring world to live in!

My opinion is simply that words like the examples we gave aren't mandatory send off without any kind of thinking like "oh my god I heard the word "f*ggot" somewhere on the field ! Where's my red card ??!" , I'm not saying that it will NEVER be an OFFINABUS, just that the very least is that someone would be... offended.

I explained why situation and context do matter fo the words to be an insult but for some reason I got censured

think about the word f*ggot. It is a derogatory word and is homophobic. It is an insult and outside of the little meaty oniony balls that share the word, it has no nice, useful or positive uses.

When it is used, even amongst friends it is not nice banter. It implies weakness or stupidity or that the person called it wants to have sexual activity with another man (intended in a derogatory and insulting way).

It is not political correctness to not want this word used on a football pitch. It is offensive. Someone's sexuality should not be a reason to abuse someone. It is also not acceptable to use the word as a general insult. No context makes the use of this word acceptable.

I would not have this word used on or off a football pitch. I would also take issue with someone using it off a football pitch.

I would be dishing out warning points and discussing a ban with Ross if a forum user called another forum user this word.

Mmmmmm faggots. Ive not had them in years! Yacinho youve probably never seen them but google faggot meat balls. Beautiful invention!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back