A&H

Extra time. Not part of the match?

bloovee

RefChat Addict
This cropped up in a discussion about why statistics include what happens during extra time but not penalty shoot-outs.

The laws of the game say the duration of a match is two equal halves of 45 minutes (law 7). You have to go to law 10 (determining the outcome of a match) for the following:

Winning team
The team scoring the greater number of goals is the winner. If both teams score
no goals or an equal number of goals, the match is drawn.
When competition rules require a winning team after a drawn match or
home-and-away tie, the only permitted procedures to determine the winning
team are:
• away goals rule
• two equal periods of extra time not exceeding 15 minutes each
• penalties (penalty shoot-out)
A combination of the above procedures may be used.

On that basis, the official result of the match should be the full-time result at 90 minutes. Extra time and/or penalties are just ways of determing a winner of a drawn game. So I guess it must just be a convention that statistics (goals scored, winning / losing runs) include what happens in extra time but not penalty shoot-outs.

The laws used to say that only scoring a goal could determine a match (implicitly during the 90 minutes), but that was long after extra time was commonly used to settle a game. (Of course, the Old Etonians in 1879 infamously refused the offer of extra time in the FA Cup Final, so Darwen had to travel back to London for a replay - twice.)

The recast laws in 1997 said that competition rules may provide for two further equal periods to be played, again implying that extra time would be part of the match, but that provision has disappeared from law 7.

There are references in the laws now that make extra time part of the match (e.g. disciplinary sanctions - "power to show yellow or red cards and, where competition rules permit, temporarily dismiss a player, from entering the field of play at the start of the match until after the match has ended, including during the half-time interval, extra time and penalties (penalty shoot-out)" so is the law 7 and law 10 wording inconsistent with the fairly obvious assumption that extra time is part of the match?

A&H International
I know that for gambling purposes, extra time is not considered part of the match. I suppose this is just to keep things consistent in that we know we will have an outcome based on 90 minutes of football. If you were trying to price up the chances of a player scoring any time and had to factor in that they may or may not get an extra 30 minutes to do so, it's complicated.

With regards stats, I suppose the reason it's done like that is that a goal scored in extra time requires just as much skill / effort as one scored in normal time, but converting a penalty (which didn't require the need to 'earn' that penalty) in a shootout doesn't.

Then again, the overall answer is I don't know.

Pretty much as RefereeX said above.

Although, from memory, when FIFA does their World Ranking points for international matches, there is a difference in ranking points for an extra time win/loss, compared to a regular time win/loss.

Laws of the game dictate how a single match should 'operate' and that is it. How a competition should run and who the winner of it is, is not determined by laws of the game. And lotg certainly does not dictate how any organisation uses stats or which stats is used.

I was in a competition which had 3 different 'bye' rules during a single season comp because all teams didn't have the same number of byes. Started with 3 points for a bye, then went to no points for a bye, then went to 1 point (draw) for a bye and then back to 3 points for a bye determining it as the fairest system.

There is nothing to stop a comp from setting a middle round as a sudden death round where all games go to extra time and penalties. And for premiership calculations, all goals, including the penalty shoot out would count. Not a good system but it is lotgful.

Last edited:
Laws of the game dictate how a single match should 'operate' and that is it. How a competition should run and who the winner of it is, is not determined by laws of the game. And lotg certainly does not dictate how any organisation uses stats or which stats is used.

I was in a competition which had 3 different 'bye' rules during a single season comp because all teams didn't have the same number of byes. Started with 3 points for a bye, then went to no points for a bye, then went to 1 point (draw) for a bye and then back to 3 points for a bye determining it as the fairest system.

There is nothing to stop a comp from setting a middle round as a student death round where all games go to extra time and penalties. And for premiership calculations, all goals, including the penalty shoot out would count. Not a good system but it is lotgful.
A "student death round" sounds somewhat harsh😁🤔

• Haha
Reactions: one
Back