A&H

Extra player on the FOP

Goldfish

Under the new laws the extra player offence has been amended. Is having a 12th player on the field not involved in play considered interference? If not does the referee have to wait until the ball goes out of play to deal with it? Where is the restart from if play is stopped if there is no interference? It was simple under the old law yet the new wording is somewhat confusing. Is it suggesting that in the goal situation with an extra player not interfering, the referee has to wait to deal with it?

The Referee Store
Hi
No takers here so went directly to IFAB. An email from David Elleray has replied that
Play should be stopped and when the referee stops play then this is, in effect, an 'interference' and the restart would be a DFK from the point of interference or as he suggests restart from the location which benefits the non-offending team if there is no direct interference.

Sorry missed this when you posted it initially. Interesting response.

A mate of mine had an incident where a substitute came on at an injury without him being informed (injured player did not come back on). After a few minutes he noticed and blew, giving a mandatory caution. Restart was a dfk around the half way line, where the player was.

He then thought, what if I had first noticed him in his own penalty area, clearing a cross? Under new rules that is a penalty.

Chaos would have ensued.

Sorry missed this when you posted it initially. Interesting response.

A mate of mine had an incident where a substitute came on at an injury without him being informed (injured player did not come back on). After a few minutes he noticed and blew, giving a mandatory caution. Restart was a dfk around the half way line, where the player was.

He then thought, what if I had first noticed him in his own penalty area, clearing a cross? Under new rules that is a penalty.

Chaos would have ensued.
Rules? Rules? What are these "Rules" of which you speak?

Chaos would have ensued.
Maybe, but as the explanations sections found on pages 120-121 of the new laws make clear, even if this isn't the exact scenario the change was primarily designed to remedy, that would still be the technically correct decision.
If play is stopped and the interference was by - a team official, substitute, substituted or sent off player, play restarts with a direct free kick or penalty kick [...]

There is a growing problem of substitutes/team officials entering the field to interfere with play or an opponent, e.g. stopping a goal. This is clearly ‘unfair’ and a direct free kick (or penalty kick if in own penalty area) is more appropriate.

Hi
No takers here so went directly to IFAB. An email from David Elleray has replied that
Play should be stopped and when the referee stops play then this is, in effect, an 'interference' and the restart would be a DFK from the point of interference or as he suggests restart from the location which benefits the non-offending team if there is no direct interference.
So David Elleray is saying that the referee stopping play constitutes interference by the extra player? Even with the IFAB's penchant for redefining words and/or phrases that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Personally, I think they have simply messed up on the wording here. Instead of saying that the referee can only stop play if interference actually occurs, they should have stuck with the old wording (or something closer to it in meaning) that the referee can stop play but need not necessarily do so if there is no interference.

I think that would be more in keeping with the much-maligned "Spirit of the Game" and is in effect, what David Elleray seems to be implying anyway.

So David Elleray is saying that the referee stopping play constitutes interference by the extra player? Even with the IFAB's penchant for redefining words and/or phrases that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Personally, I think they have simply messed up on the wording here. Instead of saying that the referee can only stop play if interference actually occurs, they should have stuck with the old wording (or something closer to it in meaning) that the referee can stop play but need not necessarily do so if there is no interference.

I think that would be more in keeping with the much-maligned "Spirit of the Game" and is in effect, what David Elleray seems to be implying anyway.

so, in the instance of noticing a player only when he's in the opposition penalty area, would we actively warn the player not to become involved ? or just play on and see what happens...... actually for that matter would you warn him anywhere on the FOP? is that unfair on the non offending team

so, in the instance of noticing a player only when he's in the opposition penalty area, would we actively warn the player not to become involved ? or just play on and see what happen
Well, I guess it depends if you're following the letter of the law which says the referee only stops play if there is interference - or the spirit of the law (as expounded by David Elleray) which he is saying means you stop play anyway.

Well, I guess it depends if you're following the letter of the law which says the referee only stops play if there is interference - or the spirit of the law (as expounded by David Elleray) which he is saying means you stop play anyway.

guess there must be some middle ground to be had, possibly be selective and wait till either the ball goes out of play and if he's still in the box then pen... if he;s not, so be it. or wait till he leaves the box and award a FK what a situation to be in though as a pen seems harsh... i know my opinion of what law implies is irrelevant but i feel uncomfortable imagining myself in that situation

Personally I would follow the path of self preservation. If you take action and haven't warned the player and the resultant restart gives the opposition team a goal scoring opportunity that they take, then batten down the hatches. If however you warn him and he still plays the ball, then you can say you tried to warn him.

Back