A&H

Ex pro players in your league.

I was an assistant on a game containing Julian Joachim when he was playing in the Notts Senior League.

I've also officiated Chris Freestone (ex Middlesbrough & Northampton), Liam Hearn (ex Grimsby & Mansfield), Mark Clifford (ex Boston United & Mansfield) and a few others at Veterans level

The Referee Store
I'll add another in, though not in a league.

My son used to play football and was in the team in the same age group as the son of a former Premier League player.

Each year there was an end of season bash, BBQ, beers and the highlight was a Parents v Coaches 11 a side game.

I got roped into refereeing and the parents had the ex pro playing at left back. The coaches were a little short of players so they recruited a few lads from the local academy to play, one of which was playing wide right for them.

The ex pro wanders up to the lad just before kick off claps him on the shoulder to wish him a good game and adds with a smile "Son, I don't mind you passing it around me, but if you take me on and make me look like a t**t, I'll f***ing kill you. Have a good one". With that he wandered off.

Everytime this lad had the ball near him, he was talking to him "make the right decision, don't take me on" and the poor lad was completely out of the game.

In the bar after the match, I was chatting to him about it and all he said was "It worked on Ryan Giggs as well" and gave me little wink. 🤣

Closest for me was Paul Scholes' son with scholes snr watching on the side.

Back