The Ref Stop

Everton Vs Arsenal

Ori

So while watching I have to agree it’s offside for the martineli goal.
Where I’m not sure is it came off an Everton player. Was it a deliberate play for the ball? What’s the actual rule on this?

The Ref Stop
The arsenal player didn't play it, deliberately, and I actually think the Everton player played a deliberate intervention not only changing the direction of the ball completely but even the pace of the ball.

Does that invalidate the offside or confirm it as offside?
Confirm it as offside. The below is what deems it to be a deliberate play and ‘resets’ the phase of play

• passing the ball to a team-mate;
• gaining possession of the ball; or
• clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it)

I personally think, and not sure if it's actually allowed, that Hooper should have gone to the screen and asked about his opinion of the block by the Everton player. If he says it's a deliberate action, goal. If not, no goal. He already has the info of the Arsenal player in the offside position but it's now up to the ref to decide if the Everton forward interferes.

Confirm it as offside. The below is what deems it to be a deliberate play and ‘resets’ the phase of play

• passing the ball to a team-mate;
• gaining possession of the ball; or
• clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it)
But surely in this would fall under the clearing of the ball, tackling up the field and the ball going backwards is irrelevant as that is what they're doing, a high press.

Penalty against Brentford keeper yesterday v Newcastle similar to the one not given just now on Doucoure (if but in different areas of the penalty area).

But surely in this would fall under the clearing of the ball, tackling up the field and the ball going backwards is irrelevant as that is what they're doing, a high press.
You’d struggle to sell sticking a foot out to block a pass as a clearance I think

I appreciate that, just saying that the Arsenal player was clearly not playing the ball (forward) and was clearly intercepted so could argue it's a complete new phase.
No you couldn’t argue that. The ball doesn’t need to go forward for it to be offside. Nor does the attacker need to be aiming it for anyone in particular.

It’s rare in how it happened, but it is offside.

I appreciate that, just saying that the Arsenal player was clearly not playing the ball (forward) and was clearly intercepted so could argue it's a complete new phase.
The direction of the ball is irrelevant for offside though. An interception would suggest the attacker has taken control of the ball and was actively in possession. That pass just hit him and flew off 30 yards away

There's been a few penalties given and not given for same thing this season, so lack of consistency is showing big here.
Much like the overturned havertz one v United, good examples of the attacker initiating contact. 'We' need to be better and not rewarding players who do this and not fslling into the var c&o get out (and thankfully most have been spotted for what they are).

After watching the replays at half time. Gabriel isn’t trying to pass the ball forward and it’s the Everton player who knocks it. Is it deliberate? I think it is.

There's been a few penalties given and not given for same thing this season, so lack of consistency is showing big here.

To be fair, it's hard for consistency when the referee only sees it once and every situation is marginally different but it's good too see Hooper not giving a pen there as the Everton player was clearly looking for it.

As for the offside, I agree with Neville, surely with all the cameras around, there has to be a better angle than that, when fans, pundits and at times managers not fully trusting the technology, giving awkward cameras angles will not help to gain that trust.

I agree that by the letter of the law, offside is definitely a supportable decision. However I think this is a situation where the law does not do what it intends to do. Whilst Beto doesn’t deliberately play the ball, Gabriel doesn’t intend to pass the ball to Nketiah either. That feels to me to be unfair, even though it’s the right decision.

To be fair, it's hard for consistency when the referee only sees it once and every situation is marginally different but it's good too see Hooper not giving a pen there as the Everton player was clearly looking for it.

As for the offside, I agree with Neville, surely with all the cameras around, there has to be a better angle than that, when fans, pundits and at times managers not fully trusting the technology, giving awkward cameras angles will not help to gain that trust.
When you've got rickety old grounds like goodison you'll get issues like this. The view from anywhere in that stand is awful

Back