A&H

Everton v Spurs

The Referee Store
That one is at least borderline. The next almost goal that was saved off the line was more blantant. Harrison is putting his arms out and moving to stop the keeper from getting around him.

I think it's a foul. A bit like the Luton vs Burnley one, he's moving away from the ball and into the keeper to stop him from moving forwards. Probably not enough for VAR to get involved with though.

It seems, since the other similar incidents, this is now a common tactic.

Again here the GK looked weak, it wss a poor attempt.

Anywhere else on the field this is not a foul, so I am happy with no foul. But if teams kerp doing then I think Pgmol will have to act and up the “protection” for GKs.

It seems, since the other similar incidents, this is now a common tactic.

Again here the GK looked weak, it wss a poor attempt.

Anywhere else on the field this is not a foul, so I am happy with no foul. But if teams kerp doing then I think Pgmol will have to act and up the “protection” for GKs.
I think players have a right to stand still in front of the keeper, as happened in the Spurs vs Man City game where they wanted a foul but it rightly wasn't given. But on this one Jack Harrison moves in the opposition direction of the ball and pins Vicario, that isn't football it is more wrestling. I think if Michael Oliver had seen it he would have given a free kick, but Everton were being quite clever about it. After they'd given away a couple of free kicks earlier they only moved a player close to the keeper after the kick was taken, and that makes it much harder for the referee to spot.

Since when? Impeding with or without contact is a foul anywhere on the field agains any player. But we don’t see the same kind of tactic elsewhere, as it is uniquely effective for a player to eschew any effort toward the ball in order to interfere with the GK—the same behavior elsewhere doesn’t accomplish much.

A player can, of course, stand in front of the GK as every player is entitled to be where they want. But outside of playing distance of the ball, a player can’t move into the path of an opponent to interfere or move into the body of the player to interfere.

Since when? Impeding with or without contact is a foul anywhere on the field agains any player. But we don’t see the same kind of tactic elsewhere, as it is uniquely effective for a player to eschew any effort toward the ball in order to interfere with the GK—the same behavior elsewhere doesn’t accomplish much.

A player can, of course, stand in front of the GK as every player is entitled to be where they want. But outside of playing distance of the ball, a player can’t move into the path of an opponent to interfere or move into the body of the player to interfere.
Hmm players constantly back into other players to obstruct/impede them. Big strikers, defenders in the corner… backing into players is a normal part of football…

Depends. There is jostling for position when a ball is coming down to be in a position to play the ball. That’s not the same thing as backing into an opponent off the ball to prevent the opponent’s movement—which is essentially the definition of impeding.

Depends. There is jostling for position when a ball is coming down to be in a position to play the ball. That’s not the same thing as backing into an opponent off the ball to prevent the opponent’s movement—which is essentially the definition of impeding.
I think the coaches and players are being really smart. They’ve seen the inconsistency, seen that Webb wants referees to allow more contact, so they are inswinging corners at the GK and using bodies to take the GK out of effectively playing the ball.

Surprised that coaches have’t already adapted and e.g. defenders are not doing more rough-housing before the kick.

Let’s see. Be interesting if we see more of this in today’s matches. Presumably this is the top new topic for Webb and his team briefing?

Back