A&H

Everton v Man City

bloovee

RefChat Addict
We should really have an Advantage of the Season comp. 40 seconds in - but which ref got stick a few years ago for a first pump apparently celebrating a goal (but really celebrating the advantage)? Bit of a late signal though!

The Referee Store
We should really have an Advantage of the Season comp. 40 seconds in - but which ref got stick a few years ago for a first pump apparently celebrating a goal (but really celebrating the advantage)? Bit of a late signal though!

It’s not late. It’s very sensible to me that a referee waits to see if there’s an advantage before signaling.

Still good refereeing to wait before blowing the whistle. Surely he would not have brought play back if the header went wide.

And the second goal was a very good application of wait and see by the AR too.

You signal when you're allowing advantage, not when the advantage works. That was not signalling advantage, it was celebrating the decision to allow advantage.

That changes depending on your level. At grassroots you are expected to signal it immediately, whereas at higher levels the expectation is that you wait to see if it comes off before signalling. The level 4, 3 and 2B competencies refer to the correct timing of the advantage. Caused me real problems when I went from 4 to 3 as I had to completely change how I applied, or rather signalled, advantage.

That changes depending on your level. At grassroots you are expected to signal it immediately, whereas at higher levels the expectation is that you wait to see if it comes off before signalling. The level 4, 3 and 2B competencies refer to the correct timing of the advantage. Caused me real problems when I went from 4 to 3 as I had to completely change how I applied, or rather signalled, advantage.
Even so, to signal advantage when the ball is in the net is to no-one's advantage but your own!

Oliver played advantage on the second goal as well, presumably that's why he had his whistle to his mouth rather than the high foot.

I'm surprised the goal was allowed to stand, Mina clearly impacted.

Still good refereeing to wait before blowing the whistle. Surely he would not have brought play back if the header went wide.

And the second goal was a very good application of wait and see by the AR too.
Wait and see for what? No-one was in an offside position. (Everton defender out of shot on the live feed.)

You signal when you're allowing advantage, not when the advantage works. That was not signalling advantage, it was celebrating the decision to allow advantage.
Nothing irritates me more than a referee putting his arm(s) up, shouting ‘advantage’ because of how proud of himself he is and then having to blow the whistle because no one has had a chance to collect the loose ball. It just looks like an inability to read the game to me.

Oliver played advantage on the second goal as well, presumably that's why he had his whistle to his mouth rather than the high foot.

No issue with that decision for me. The city player pulled out and it was in no way dangerous. Simply having a high foot isn’t reason for a foul

I’ve seen Oliver give that type of signal before where he gives the advantage signal as he starts to point upfield.

Absolutely outstanding advantage. Oliver had some controversial items after Project Restart and earlier in this season, but in the games I’ve watched him in the last two months he’s had his mojo back and is once again (for me) England’s best referee.

Someone should tell these Refs that it's not about THEM! They spend half the game running about the FOP with one arm in the air signalling a perpetual advantage anyway. Anonymity should be the Holy Grail, arguably
Besides, as to why we're told to do one thing at one Level and something completely different higher up, is just a stupid absurdity that achieves nothing

I’ve seen Oliver give that type of signal before where he gives the advantage signal as he starts to point upfield.

Absolutely outstanding advantage. Oliver had some controversial items after Project Restart and earlier in this season, but in the games I’ve watched him in the last two months he’s had his mojo back and is once again (for me) England’s best referee.
What's outstanding about it? The first goal is about an automatic advantage as you can get the shot is away before you can blow the whistle.

Although some may bring it back if it hadn't resulted in a goal as De Bruyne is such a good free kick taker

Last edited:
We had a lengthy thread about playing advantage last year. I'm not sure what the point of a visual signal on its own is - the players aren't looking at you and I'm not sure TV commentators know what the signal is (or is for).

Now, shouting "play on" is a signal to all players to play on... and doesn't actually convey whether you are playing advantage or didn't think it was a foul, so increases your options. (I've done international youth tournaments so maybe "play on" might not work so well then.)

I think young Foden may need to learn that there is rarely an advantage to staying on your feet when fouled in the PA.

We had a lengthy thread about playing advantage last year. I'm not sure what the point of a visual signal on its own is - the players aren't looking at you and I'm not sure TV commentators know what the signal is (or is for).

Now, shouting "play on" is a signal to all players to play on... and doesn't actually convey whether you are playing advantage or didn't think it was a foul, so increases your options. (I've done international youth tournaments so maybe "play on" might not work so well then.)

I think young Foden may need to learn that there is rarely an advantage to staying on your feet when fouled in the PA.
Maybe he's realised that with our penalty record he's better off staying on his feet and trying to score.... :hmmm:

I disagree with this. Mina plays the ball which for me means hes not impacted at all. I actually think Mina trys to make it look like Mahrez foot touches his head

When people talk about a "high foot" they are usually thinking of the offence more properly known as "playing in a dangerous manner" aka PIADM.

The law says that:
Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.
As I recall the replays, if you look at Mahrez's action, he starts to raise his leg but then stops before his foot has got very far off the ground at all.

For me, no part of his anatomy ever gets close enough to Mina's body to threaten injury, nor do his actions prevent Mina from playing the ball for fear of injury.

I didn't see anything from Mahrez that met the definition of PIADM. The law doesn't say that it's an offence if a player's actions cause an opponent to hesitate slightly before playing the ball, only if they threaten injury to an opponent (which for me, they didn't) and/or prevent them from playing the ball which they also didn't do.

That's not how the law is generally applied in professional football, hence why I was surprised it wasn't given.

Is preventing someone from being able to play the ball an absolute in the context of playing in a dangerous manner?

If a goalkeeper, who has his vision blocked by an offside position player, plays the ball poorly resulting in a goal has he been prevented from playing or being able to play the ball?

Last edited:
Back