A&H

Everton - Brentford

Really shocked the shirt pull was not punished, think Everton can feel really hard done by there. It really is one of those if Richarldson went to ground, he may of been given the decision in his favour.

Not seen it so apologies if am well off course

Any player going to ground after a shirt pull on my pitch sways me more to no foul though. If they wish to be rewarded for cheating on someone elses pitch, thats down to that referee

The Referee Store
Yeh apologies I did that at 1 last night and you’re right, my stats dont show the full story so here you go. I did compare the live stats for the red cards and that still indicated refs were significantly less likely to show a red card with VAR, as shown on the other thread. With penalties however, it doesn’t.

There were an average of 14.5 penalties overturned by VAR across the last 2 seasons, so live there were an average of 97 penalties awarded by VAR. Compared to an average of 93 awarded in the previous 5 seasons. More penalties were awarded by VAR than overturned but that is the only stat that shows anything to suggest refs are less likely to give pens.

Hmm. Not sure it even shows that. Rs are whistling for about 5% more PKs on the field with VAR than without. That doesn’t suggest at all that they are deterred by VAR from calling PKs.

More PKs being awarded through VAR than reversals doesn’t show VAR is making Rs reluctant to call PKs because if VAR, but is consistent with the idea that Rs are (and always have been) reluctant to call a PK unless they are sure.

Not seen it so apologies if am well off course

Any player going to ground after a shirt pull on my pitch sways me more to no foul though. If they wish to be rewarded for cheating on someone elses pitch, thats down to that referee

By the same token, are you not rewarding the defending player who pulled his opponent's shirt and, thereby, cheated?

By the same token, are you not rewarding the defending player who pulled his opponent's shirt and, thereby, cheated?

I would be penalising the shirt pull yes if i saw it. Its up to us as referee to do our bit and spot the foul,

Fouls are part of the game.

am talking about the ones we aint sure on. Falling to the ground after being pulled back is cheating. If we tolerate cheating, it does indeed become the norm

They both had told of each other. Granted Richarlison was being held more, but he also had hold of the Brentford player, really don't see how VAR can make a call there.

Richarlison is becoming very much a case of the boy who cried wolf. He spends so much time on the ground, either rolling around theatrically or laying still making out he is seriously injured, that it is going to put doubt into official's minds.

Back