A&H

Euros

Status
Not open for further replies.
The law doesn't say much about contact (other than if there is contact, it's a direct free kick) but what it does say is that it's a direct free kick offence if a player challenges an opponent in what the referee considers to be a careless manner.

I thought it was perfectly reasonable to see the knee-to-knee contact by Maehle on Sterling as careless.

There was a good still of it posted earlier, here's another one from a similar angle (and as you can see, it was one of the angles used by VAR).

View attachment 5046

Although it's true that a still image capture doesn't always give the most accurate portrayal of things, I think that in this case it pretty much does - and it supports the idea of a careless challenge.

I don't have a video of it to post but I did watch the replay from this angle several times and as far as I'm concerned, it also clearly shows that there was a careless challenge by Maehle.

I didn't see anything in the clip that made me think Sterling was guilty of simulation.
The one thing I do think that still shows is that he has no intention of actually planting his left foot. If he's genuinely trying to continue running and it's the knee contact that's knocked him over, he'd be stretching forward with his left foot.

I'm not arguing the existence of contact - I'm arguing that isn't why he fell over.

The Referee Store
The one thing I do think that still shows is that he has no intention of actually planting his left foot. If he's genuinely trying to continue running and it's the knee contact that's knocked him over, he'd be stretching forward with his left foot.

I'm not arguing the existence of contact - I'm arguing that isn't why he fell over.
So a philosophical question - would Sterling have got more abuse or less abuse if he hadn't gone down after "the existence of contact"?

Anyone else a wee bit nervous??

I was absolutely fine before the CL final, bag of nerves tonight. Bring it home boys!!

5 man defence? Oh well, can't say I'd have picked the same teams as Southgate throughout, so what the hell do I know? Don't answer that :mute:

Random question, during the tournament has any referee worn black shirts? I don’t remember seeing it in any game.

Will we see black in the final?
I suspect with Italy in Blue that the chances on the ref wearing black are highly unlikely, going to take a punt at pink.

Might be a mixture of getting old and a bit of apathy, but not particularly excited or bothered about England being in the final. Not saying I won't be pleased if my country wins, however I don't think I will be that disappointed if Italy win as I just find watching England utter boring most of the time and have done for years. Stopped watching friendlies or qualifiers years ago and genuinely can't remember the last England game I enjoyed.

I am a bag of nerves and excitement before my beloved Chelsea's games, just don't get that same feeling about the national team. 🙁

Just hope regardless of the result, the game is controversy free and we have very little to talk about on here other than praising the officials for having a good game!

its Englands. They play the game as they have and not the occasion and happy days
Try to play one on one v Italy and its anyones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back