A&H

Euro 2021 - Turkey Vs Italy

Clear error by AR. Could not be offside
I noticed the ARs speaking to Italian players at these corners. Whatever about the choice of either player taking the corner a player cannot deliberately stand off the field of play in a way that is not connected with the taking of the kick. The player was some three yards from the ball in front if it. Player should have been told to stay on the FOP if he was not able to take the kick.

The Referee Store
Hmm, re: ref over ruling there are appeared to be a delay on the flag which leads me to think this was a team error

Is there anything wrong with both standing off the field of play?
Presumably the idea is that either one of them may be taking the corner kick.

On occasion the player behind the goal line will play it directly down the touchline, or just tap it so his mate can get dribble it towards the penalty area, feint to take it etc.

Nothing wrong if both can play the ball but in this instance the second player is stood three yards away from the ball with no intention or possibility of taking it. He is off the field of play I assume to avoid being marked by a defender. Players can only be off the field of play in the act of playing the ball, to go around an opponent, to show no involvement in active play or to take a restart. The player should have been told to stand on the FOP.

Nothing wrong if both can play the ball but in this instance the second player is stood three yards away from the ball with no intention or possibility of taking it. He is off the field of play I assume to avoid being marked by a defender. Players can only be off the field of play in the act of playing the ball, to go around an opponent, to show no involvement in active play or to take a restart. The player should have been told to stand on the FOP.
The only problem with your thesis is that on or just slightly off field of play the player cannot be marked anyway due to the requirement of opponents being 10 yards away, so at least 7 yards from being marked. There is zero tactical advantage.
Yes you can be fussy about it and ask him to keep a toenail on the line Or just get on with the game....

Even if he was 10 yards away, why can't he be marked by a defender?

So why is it that players can't be off the field of play. I can see only two reasons. One, they can't 'hide' and reappear unsportingly. Two, referee needs to be able to keep an eye on all players, allowing players off the field makes this difficult. Neither of those applied here. No point blindly following the laws.

Hard to tell from the clip but he might have had a toe on the FoP when the corner was taken.

Have Italy (or any Italian team) been doing this all season?

Back