Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somebody else

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
With the performance last night, there is some good news for England.

Clatts and Atkinson can continue in the tournament!!

The Referee Store
I think they've both certainly got a shot, done well in their three games so far, will be interesting to see if either of them get a 1/4 final or if the final might be their next game!

But plenty of top refs about...Cakir is someone I really like and had some of the top CL games towards the end of the season though not sure he had the best of games yesterday, Rizzoli is also well regarded and performing well at the euros so far...not to mention some of the others as well!

Tough one to call...

It's clear that UEFA really rate Clatts (as do I for that matter!) and I think he's always going to be in with a shot. But I think he did a decent, but not excellent job in the CL final - his odd behaviour around not cautioning Pepe for simulation may count against him? And again, he's looked solid but unspectacular in the games I've seen him so far this tournament as well.

The curse of being a referee and needing a challenging game to stand out might just knock him off the top job unfortunately!

Yes, but that was against a British team. An English referee wouldn't be allowed to referee Wales against a non-British team.

That is a fair point! I forgot it was against NI! Wonder if he'll get asked if he wants the other semi or to gamble on Wales going out - assuming he's in the frame to ref it

Atkinson reffed Wales...

Don't think it could work in a final. There are plenty of other good choices that they wouldn't need to put extra scrutiny on him. Would be like the Kevin Friend/Leicester thing again.

Given Clatt's relatively young age, and the fact that he's already had two 'plum' appointments already this season, I can well imagine him getting the Iceland v Italy SF instead of the final ;)

With Rizzoli getting the other SF, looks like a straight choice between Clatts & Kassai (of Hungary) for the final = both teams being at the top of the marking lists.

Back