A&H

Entering the field of play without permission

oh liner

Oh liner
Today with only club liners. I am on the opposite side and corner of the bench and as the play goes it looks like it is going out for a GK but the 'keeper keeps it in play,

At this point I hear a shout of 'sub please ref'

So I shout back, "it has not gone out of play , the next time yes"

As I am getting myself in place I notice the sub has come on.

I blow up pull the player and card him (obvious entering field of play)

I got some **** from the sideline including "ref i told you he was coming on"

I go over and bollock for doing what they did.

I have two questions

Should I have carded the player who went off? ( i think not)

Should I have told the sub to go off after yellow card and then asked the sub to be administered properly (again I think not, but would like to hear views)

The Referee Store
I think you are supposed to make the sub go off until you're ready to bring him on.

I thought this afterwards, so I should have cautioned, which I did then asked him to leave the field of play. But seeing as I had stopped play to administer the yellow (other sides GK had in his hand when I blew, so became a IDFK) it seemed daft to ask him to leave then bring him on in the next break in play

Technically yes, you can card both players, for leaving and entering the field of play without your permission. However, in this situation, often the players will simply be following the instructions of their coach so personally I wouldn't be too picky about cautioning both. I would have a word to the coach about waiting for my permission, caution the player who came on, record the substitution, and then get on with the game.

Technically yes, you can card both players, for leaving and entering the field of play without your permission. However, in this situation, often the players will simply be following the instructions of their coach so personally I wouldn't be too picky about cautioning both. I would have a word to the coach about waiting for my permission, caution the player who came on, record the substitution, and then get on with the game.

This is what I did, i thought it was the simplist thing to do, and TBF to the player he muttered "i hope the management are going to pay for this, they told me to come on" which I did have a laugh with him about.

The thing that riled me was that the lad on the side line that gave me **** is just one of them that hang around with the team and was not part of the management or subs, he does somtimes sub for them but not today.

The thing that riled me was that the lad on the side line that gave me **** is just one of them that hang around with the team and was not part of the management or subs, he does somtimes sub for them but not today.

They are usually the worst ones for getting grief but it makes you think, you're standing there giving me **** when you can't even get a game for a park level team, have a look at yourself. Okay maybe just me who thinks that...

Pretty sound application of Law 18 I think.

I find benches get very 'woolly' over the subs when the competition allows rolling subs, but I always try and get them to do it at halfway, and wait for the one off to leave.

Just to mention; when a substitute enters the field of play without your permission, you caution for unsporting behaviour and not entering the field of play without your permission as has been mentioned earlier. Only players can be cautioned for entering/leaving the field of play without your permission.

You could've saved yourself by just saying "No" to the question. He likely heard "Yes" and thought he was good to go.

Back