A&H

England vs Spain U21 Final - Espen Eskas

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Can only assume no one was watching it as that was an unbelievably eventful game of football with 12 yellows and 4 reds, and VAR recommending a penalty review in the last seconds of stoppage time, saved by the England keeper.

Fight in the benches after England's goal that saw a player from each team cautioned and Ashley Cole and a Spanish coach sent off. Then after the last second penalty was saved another fracas saw substituted Gibbs White and and a subbed Spanish player both get second yellows and reds.

Very, very tricky game for the Norwegian referee but I thought he did well overall. The penalty was correct if on the soft side, there could have been no argument had it been given real time, but we again aren't really sure what constitutes a clear and obvious error.

The Referee Store
Saw the first 40 mins then turned over because at that point it was like watching paint dry ...

Good game, marred by a bit of re-refereeing at the end
Although gave Trafford an opportunity to cap off a flawless tournament for him and England's defence
Doubt we'll see the same card happy approach to the TAs when the big lads return. Doubt it very much

Hard to concentrate on the game with the cricket going on at the same time

I think the video review was poor from both the VAR and the referee because not once did the referee view a replay in normal speed.
Agreed. Wasn't even a pen for me. Just not enough.
Sure there's contact. But for me it's pretty trifling and certainly didn't warrant the outcome of the Spain player rolling around.

Whatever happened to a higher bar for penalties that UEFA were talking about at Euro 2020!!

Whatever you think about the decision nowhere near the bar required for a VAR intervention either.

Wasn't even a pen for me. Just not enough.
Sure there's contact. But for me it's pretty trifling and certainly didn't warrant the outcome of the Spain player rolling around.
This. I actually thought it was his own movement of his foot towards the ball that unbalanced him. I could hardly make out the contact.

It did seem like karma was at work when Ruiz had his penalty saved having laid prone for an age after the slightest contact from the England defender. Only slow motion would deem that a penalty. My breath was held in case Trafford's feet had strayed an inch off his line before making the penalty save but thankfully VAR remained silent. Well done England.

Back