A&H

England 2 - 1 Turkey

What on earth makes you think he's got the intelligence to keep Sturridge fit? As a Liverpool fan, that's my one and only wish from the Euros, but I almost know it's futile!
I don't think it's really up to the manager to look after the players' fitness - that would be up to people like the Fitness Coach, Physiotherapist, Masseur and Team Doctor (Chris Neville, Gary Lewin, Mark Sertori and Ian Beasley respectively).

The Referee Store
I don't think it's really up to the manager to look after the players' fitness - that would be up to people like the Fitness Coach, Physiotherapist, Masseur and Team Doctor (Chris Neville, Gary Lewin, Mark Sertori and Ian Beasley respectively).
I wouldn't have thought so either. But when his club recommends a 2 day recovery time after matches, Roy explicitly states that he's decided that's not necessary and Sturridge then proceeds to get injured (as happened last time he got injured on England duty), it sets a precedent of him overruling qualified medical advice. So unfortunately, I do still worry about the manager in this case.

I suppose this current crop of players could do a "Greece" this summer and manage to obtain a bit of cohesion and a degree of luck but to suggest that they're capable of being world beaters is just fantasy mate. The matches against Turkey and before that the home defeat by Holland (who didn't even qualify) should tell you as much..... ;) :)
How does beating World Champions Germany fit in to this?

How does beating World Champions Germany fit in to this?

However you want it to mate I suppose.
Let's face it, the Germans were beating England 2-0 quite comfortably until they took their foot off the gas for the last half hour. I think it was more a case of them throwing the game away than anything else.
Since then, England have failed to impress. You're only as good as your last performance. Beating a lacklustre Germany in a friendly two months ago tells us nowt. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought so either. But when his club recommends a 2 day recovery time after matches, Roy explicitly states that he's decided that's not necessary and Sturridge then proceeds to get injured (as happened last time he got injured on England duty), it sets a precedent of him overruling qualified medical advice. So unfortunately, I do still worry about the manager in this case.
It's difficult to know exactly what took place but Brendan Rodgers at least, seemed to think it was the other staff rather than the manager, that were responsible for Sturridge getting injured. According to Rodgers: "Roy’s probably being led by some of the experts, sports scientists, people he has around him, and for whatever reason Daniel was deemed able to train".

It's difficult to know exactly what took place but Brendan Rodgers at least, seemed to think it was the other staff rather than the manager, that were responsible for Sturridge getting injured. According to Rodgers: "Roy’s probably being led by some of the experts, sports scientists, people he has around him, and for whatever reason Daniel was deemed able to train".
Either way, Roy or one of his team has failed Sturridge and Liverpool there. And given how much of a difference he seems to make to Liverpool and the kid gloves that Klopp has been treating him with since he came back, I'm staying worried!

Beating a lacklustre Germany in a friendly two months ago tells us nowt. :)
But losing against Holland three days later tells us that they are not World beaters...
...but to suggest that they're capable of being world beaters is just fantasy mate. The...home defeat by Holland should tell you as much..... ;) :)
Hmm...
You're only as good as your last performance.
Yup, beating the 13th best team in the world...;):)

But losing against Holland three days later tells us that they are not World beaters...

Hmm...
Yup, beating the 13th best team in the world...;):)

Mate, don't get me wrong, I have all the hope in the world - just none of the confidence. ;) It's what comes of following Newcastle United and England..... :D

Either way, Roy or one of his team has failed Sturridge and Liverpool there. And given how much of a difference he seems to make to Liverpool and the kid gloves that Klopp has been treating him with since he came back, I'm staying worried!
Maybe you were right to be worried - it looks like Sturridge is injured again but this time he apparently already had the injury when he reported for England duty.

Back