A&H

Endangering the safety of a......Teammate?

micky2001

Was watching a game tonight and a strange tackle happened. Red team have possession of the ball and there is a green player on his back giving him pressure. Then, another green defender comes in with a sliding tackle with his studs up and just above shin high. However, the red player passed the ball and moved but the green defender came in fast and hard and took his own player out quite bad. If it was against an opponent there would have been no doubt it was a red, but is there anything you can/should do? A friend thought it could still be a red for SFP similar to VC where if you strike your own teammate you are punished.

The Referee Store
Hmmm. My personal thoughts, and purely from memory of the magic book (I don't have it on me right now) is that the only offences that can be punished if committed against a teammate are VC, OFFINABUS, and spitting.

I suppose as it was a dangerous tackle you could do YC for endangering safety of opponent, provided red player was still relatively close to the positioning of the tackle (assuming the guy didn't intend to snap his own player in half).

Cannot be SFP - that has to be one of the seven DFK offences with excessive force, and the offence is 'tackles an opponent'. Personally I wouldn't caution for it. Stop play for serious injury if necessary but I think that you are just causing more problems if you caution.

HOWEVER: the player launched himself dangerously into a tackle against his opponent and, thankfully, missed. You can still caution for the tackle under the auspices that it put his opponent into a dangerous situation, even if that dangerous situation didn't fully materialize.

HOWEVER: the player launched himself dangerously into a tackle against his opponent and, thankfully, missed. You can still caution for the tackle under the auspices that it put his opponent into a dangerous situation, even if that dangerous situation didn't fully materialize.
You could, but from the description @mickey2001 gave it suggested that the opponent was long gone. If that was the case then I just think you're creating more problems than you're solving.

I think the description was probably just questionably worded because one cannot really conceive of an occasion during which a green player would jump into a tackle on nobody :p

If the opponent was in close proximity (i.e. there was a very good chance of him being hit) then I think there is a case for a caution, but if not I think it's best just to leave it.

How could the OP describe the tackle of "shin height" if there was no shin nearby to tell? I think the player was nearby. That said, even if nobody was near by and, so, nobody's safety was endangered and no "dangerous situation" was created by the tackle, you might be well advised to whisper into the player's ear that those kinds of tackles are not to be tolerated.

How could the OP describe the tackle of "shin height" if there was no shin nearby to tell? I think the player was nearby. That said, even if nobody was near by and, so, nobody's safety was endangered and no "dangerous situation" was created by the tackle, you might be well advised to whisper into the player's ear that those kinds of tackles are not to be tolerated.
I thought the point of this thread was that the opponent's safety was fine, but it was the teammate's safety that was compromised? All my posts up to now have been working on this assumption.

Shin high was just to give you an idea of the tackle and it's danger. The teammate was the one in danger. Although the opponent was close, the tackle was nowhere near him, although he was obviously the intended target

Back