A&H

Encroachment or not?

The Referee Store
Not really shocking. More like par for the course at top levels. I can't think of ever (OK, last 20 years) seeing a high level PK goal called back for encroachment by a teammate. Unless the ball comes loose, they don't seem to call anything. I'd like to see it rolled back to what it should be, but there is no longer anything surprising or shocking about that non-call.

Referee must have seen the Red player in this instance so has to be a completely conscious choice. You'd like to think he'd have at least penalised the encroachment if the player had ended up being first to play the ball after a save by the GK.

I now try to stand much closer to the edge of the area to act as a more visible deterrent to encroachment (on that side at least!)

I honestly dont think I have ever retaken a pk for encroachment, or been on a game where its been penalised.

Apart from blocking the referees view of the penalty taker I actually can’t see a lot wrong with it TBF. 😂

I used to be bemused by unpunished obvious encroachment at top level. Now I'm bemused at the pathetic show of pre kick ritual and then concentration on the encroachment line. What is the point if you are not going to punish it.

I think a lot of it is pure choreography these days. Top level football now has the perfect oppurtunity to apply encroachment law correctly now we have VAR. Let's see if they do

Reactions: one
I think a lot of it is pure choreography these days.
Choreography without the intended purpose. Feels knid of like foreplay and seduction without the intented purpose. :p

VAR is not allowed to intervene if the encroaching player does not interfere even if he is in an offside position from the PK.

Choreography without the intended purpose. Feels knid of like foreplay and seduction without the intented purpose. :p

VAR is not allowed to intervene if the encroaching player does not interfere even if he is in an offside position from the PK.

Surely if a goal is scored from a penalty then it's a KMI and therefore encroachment should be considered?

Surely if a goal is scored from a penalty then it's a KMI and therefore encroachment should be considered?
You would think so. Especially given that encroachment is a factual matter. This is from the horse's mouth.

1550969241670.png

That is not what LOTG says though! If IFAB do not expect top level referee to follow LOTG to the full, what hope do the rest of us have?

With VR, you have to either use that standard or an absolute standard. And that standard has really become the de facto standard at least in professional games—anything less than that is considered trifling. (I don’t like it, but that’s where the game is today. And it is why some are arguing for PKs to be like KFTM—no follow up and a GK or IFK if it doesn’t score.)

And it is why some are arguing for PKs to be like KFTM—no follow up and a GK or IFK if it doesn’t score.)
That's the answer. If a player can't score from 12 yards, they shouldn't be getting a second bite of the cherry

That's the answer. If a player can't score from 12 yards, they shouldn't be getting a second bite of the cherry

I actually loathe the idea. A PK is just a restart of play. Making it something other than a restart is a radical departure from the concepts of the game. All it takes to cure this is for the WC or Champion's League to tell refs that the encroachment has to stop and more than a step into the PA should not be considered trifling. Two or three calls and the problem is solved. (No one ref can do anything about this as the call would come from totally nowhere and not be consistent with the SOTG.)

Reactions: one
Back