Not easy to manage tbf,

Attachments

• E71C8F76-330E-4FAC-83AF-1342DE43FDF1.jpeg
    E71C8F76-330E-4FAC-83AF-1342DE43FDF1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
The Referee Store
12 in the area who should not be in the area

Not easy to manage tbf,
At least most of them are only a step inside. However, one is a step inside in the PA line....inside the arc. So that means, despite being level with everyone else, he's encroached by about 5 yards. That's about half the distance.

At least most of them are only a step inside. However, one is a step inside in the PA line....inside the arc. So that means, despite being level with everyone else, he's encroached by about 5 yards. That's about half the distance.

This was my point tho. Inside is not defined as, only a yard or five, surely if you are in, you are in and should not be!

This was my point tho. Inside is not defined as, only a yard or five, surely if you are in, you are in and should not be!
I think the problem comes back to when the LOTG used to instruct referees to ignore trifling infringements. So, a step inside is trifling.
Then 2 steps inside was.
Now it's the norm for defenders to have run past the referee in the PA by the time the ball is kicked, even be level with the kicker. Encroachment has gone the way of the keeper 6 second rule.

Other sports don't create these problems for themselves - you're in or you're out. Simpler, and everyone knows what to expect.

The way it's refereed now makes it all about the referee - if somebody penalises encroachment that's a subjective referee decision which goes against what's seen on TV. That's why it's so hard to blow it at grassroots - and why so many refs are reluctant to, compounding the problem.

If it was applied black and white, then it puts it back onto the players. Ah well, pipe dreams.

I think if you are faced with the pic I posted, there is too much/too many in and its a goal and nobody has moaned, so, its a goal
Cop out, yes
Easy life yes
Also, who would you caution? 12 players? 2 you felt were closest? treat them all the same i.e none?

I think if you are faced with the pic I posted, there is too much/too many in and its a goal and nobody has moaned, so, its a goal
Cop out, yes
Easy life yes
Also, who would you caution? 12 players? 2 you felt were closest? treat them all the same i.e none?
Why would you cautuion? The law is clear. The only time you cautuion for encroachment is if done by the keeper.

Why would you cautuion? The law is clear. The only time you cautuion for encroachment is if done by the keeper.

Am just throwing it out there that somewhere a referee will have and will. I was listing probable factors that might happen following encroachment....the main one being, sod it, goal,

Back