A&H

Encoachment is a joke

JH

RefChat Addict
Like a good handful of laws, encroachment is a joke and has been for a while. Look how ridiculous this referee looks, arm clearly out to tell players that have GONE PAST him not to enter the PA, yet he isn't prepared to do anything about it. Don't stand there with arm out if it means nothing. Just makes him look weak and out of control.
1544728928638.png

The Referee Store
Like a good handful of laws, encroachment is a joke and has been for a while. Look how ridiculous this referee looks, arm clearly out to tell players that have GONE PAST him not to enter the PA, yet he isn't prepared to do anything about it. Don't stand there with arm out if it means nothing. Just makes him look weak and out of control.
View attachment 2790
Arguably, he doesn't even have to watch the GK and goal line because the other chump in orange is doing that
The overall standard of officiating at the top level of football is inferior to all other sports imo
I can't think of any other sport with rules that flirt in and out of vogue depending on the direction of the wind

Hey all I hope you improve on the situation when you reach that level. Until then, just concentrate on making sure it doesn't happen in your own games instead of shouting on the tinterweb about someone else doing it.

Thanks.
If they don't do it on the telly, how can we do it down on the rec?
I mean, these fellas on the telly are the best in the business. If we applied the Law properly at the bottom, we'd be better than them. But, how can that be?
Of course, I understand the point that you making, but my point still holds true. Why have Laws and not apply them? There's no motivation to emulate top officials, when they ignore basic Laws which are relatively easy to apply

Last edited:
Think I only ever did two retakes of an encroached penalty, they all encroach a bit whether you like it or not. Has to be absolutely blatant to be sellable, be 100% right if you call it because you are stirring a hornets nest in a tasty match!!!

It's a fascinating game to officiate because it's evolved to be really difficult to do so. This evolution is based on very poor officiating at the televised level because the governing bodies are not interested if it's not lining their pockets. The World Cup was a new low, especially in terms of tolerating abuse and it's absurd for a Level 7 to paddle against this torrent of bad practice
On the one hand, elite refereeing is a joke but on the other, that's what makes it an engaging challenge for us in the middle, coping with the consequences

If they don't do it on the telly, how can we do it down on the rec?
I mean, these fellas on the telly are the best in the business. If we applied the Law properly at the bottom, we'd be better than them. But, how can that be?
Of course, I understand the point that you making, but my point still holds true. Why have Laws and not apply them? There's no motivation to emulate top officials, when they ignore basic Laws which are relatively easy to apply
What point am I making?

Why do you need to emulate them when emulating them will not get you promoted and therefore you are denied the opportunity to do the job right when you get to their level?

Why can't you be your own person?

Hey all I hope you improve on the situation when you reach that level. Until then, just concentrate on making sure it doesn't happen in your own games instead of shouting on the tinterweb about someone else doing it.

Thanks.
Yes, I'll do it properly and get dogs abuse for £30 when they are getting thousands a game and will ignore it. Get rid of the law if it isn't worth following. Where do you think players get their limited knowledge of referees from? TV. It matters.

Pretty blatant when the players run past you...

In one of the games I referenced the second striker was about 2 yards behind the other one!! I think he thought they were doing one of those smart ones where player passes to a colleague routine!!

What point am I making?

Why do you need to emulate them when emulating them will not get you promoted and therefore you are denied the opportunity to do the job right when you get to their level?

Why can't you be your own person?
Maybe I misunderstood your post, I inferred that we should have respect for elite refs, their experience and level of achievement, beyond the aspirations of us newbies. And we should. It's not their fault as individuals. They're caught in the same quandary as the rest of us. Apply the Law and die, or ignore it and move on!
For what it's worth, my compromise is to only penalize obvious encroachment if an advantage is gained from it
Why does the act of making perplexed observations preclude one from being one's own person?

Last edited:

Thanks.
While a good point about concentrating on our own game, I disagree with the 'tinterweb' thingy for two reasons.

1. I'd say one of a refereeing forum's main purposes is to discuss refereeing incidents. And there is a specific sub-board for as seen on TV.

2. I feel I have the right to complain about someone if what they are doing make it harder for me to do my job right.

I would add though, I wouldn't have worded the OP and the title quite the same.

Btw, I am not saying it is the referee-in-question's fault, obviously they all ignore encroachment at the top and obviously the governing bodies are happy with it that way. But if he will not apply the law in that situation, why should I put my neck on the line to apply these ignored laws?

While a good point about concentrating on our own game, I disagree with the 'tinterweb' thingy for two reasons.

1. I'd say one of a refereeing forum's main purposes is to discuss refereeing incidents. And there is a specific sub-board for as seen on TV.

2. I feel I have the right to complain about someone if what they are doing make it harder for me to do my job right.

I agree that the tiniternet is the place for rants. Otherwise all the regulars down my boozer would gravitate towards tother end of the bar. See my posts in this thread for what they are; just sounding off 😤

Reactions: one

Thanks.

I would respectfully suggest that this is the wrong place to be if you don't want to read people 'shouting on the tinterweb'

I thought this was a forum = 'A medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'

Yes, I'll do it properly and get dogs abuse for £30 when they are getting thousands a game and will ignore it. Get rid of the law if it isn't worth following. Where do you think players get their limited knowledge of referees from? TV. It matters.
Focus on your own game, there's no TVs on the rec
Maybe I misunderstood your post, I inferred that we should have respect for elite refs, their experience and level of achievement, beyond the aspirations of us newbies. And we should. It's not their fault as individuals. They're caught in the same quandary as the rest of us. Apply the Law and die, or ignore it and move on!
For what it's worth, my compromise is to only penalize obvious encroachment if an advantage is gained from it
Why does the act of making perplexed observations preclude one from being one's own person?
Practical response, I like it.

You have no rights
Btw, I am not saying it is the referee-in-question's fault, obviously they all ignore encroachment at the top and obviously the governing bodies are happy with it that way. But if he will not apply the law in that situation, why should I put my neck on the line to apply these ignored laws?
To build your own reputation as a referee as it impacts in more ways than one. Example, I haven't refereed on a particular league for 5 years but was cited as the perfect official for one of their most challenging games. Be memorable and make sure it's for something good.
I agree that the tiniternet is the place for rants. Otherwise all the regulars down my boozer would gravitate towards tother end of the bar. See my posts in this thread for what they are; just sounding off 😤
Ha ha ha, point taken
I would respectfully suggest that this is the wrong place to be if you don't want to read people 'shouting on the tinterweb'

I thought this was a forum = 'A medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'
"respectfully suggest"? I disregard anything after that :)

I think it's funny that so many people have reacted to my expression of my own opinion yet want theirs to be held in high regard :D

Thanks.
Hmm maybe don't have an "as seen on TV" forum where we mainly discuss errors in law, poor decisions, divisive decisions and difficult decisions then?

EDIT: I see others beat me to that!

Reactions: JH
W

Sadly, I don't think that's he case at all. We all know that what we got told in our introductory refereeing course and what happens at the top levels (and what assesssors often want to see) are black and white opposites.

Focus on your own game, there's no TVs on the rec

Practical response, I like it.

You have no rights

To build your own reputation as a referee as it impacts in more ways than one. Example, I haven't refereed on a particular league for 5 years but was cited as the perfect official for one of their most challenging games. Be memorable and make sure it's for something good.

Ha ha ha, point taken

"respectfully suggest"? I disregard anything after that :)

I think it's funny that so many people have reacted to my expression of my own opinion yet want theirs to be held in high regard :D

I want everyone's opinion to be held in high regard - hence visiting a FORUM.

Back