The Ref Stop

Empoli v Sampdoria

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I'll find a video somewhere of it shortly, game just finished....

Sampdoria equalised in the 6th minute of 6 added on minutes...
But VAR intervened with a possible handball and suggested the ref go to the monitor.
The player who handled it was upended and as he fell he hit the ball. He did stop it, I'm assuming unintentionally but regardless, his arm breaking his fall was what stopped it.. a team mate chipped it to another who scored.
So player who handled it didn't score directly and I feel it was a natural position for his arm to be as he was falling.
Just not sure how they can call handball if I'm honest.

The Ref Stop
Not a handball offence so wrong reason, but I do think an offence by the Sampdoria #23 take your pick when he puts his left leg across either a foul on the defender or simulation.

Accidental but looks like he's exaggerating the contact to win a penalty so don't have any sympathy.
This is me.

His embellishment, play acting, fouling his opponent, cheating, makes his body unnaturally bigger which results in handling.
I'm comfortable with the ability to forensically examine with VAR that this is called a handball offence.

I think the ref could have made the very easy decision of giving a FK coming out instead of going for a very weak handball. It looks clear to me Empoli player fouls Samp player.

Karma. In trying to throw himself to the floor he has handled the ball. Ordinarily I would say that is accidental handling, but he has absolutely brought it upon himself.

Back