A&H

Elche v Real Madrid

The Referee Store
it's obviously a shocker but a bet we've all done similar, seen something we thought was clear and obvious and it to be totally the opposite in reality, i know i've given a pen in similar circumstances, good job it was a nothing sunday league game

it's obviously a shocker but a bet we've all done similar, seen something we thought was clear and obvious and it to be totally the opposite in reality, i know i've given a pen in similar circumstances, good job it was a nothing sunday league game
I agree. I gave a corner yesterday and after "replaying it in my head" I realised I made a mistake and thankfully nothing come of it.

But this is top level stuff.
These referees are supposedly best of the best.

I agree. I gave a corner yesterday and after "replaying it in my head" I realised I made a mistake and thankfully nothing come of it.

yeah absolutely, we've all seen the ghost goal etc! this is where having var and not allowing it to get involved becomes a mockery, at 0-0 late in the game in that position this is a huge chance for elche and absolutely must be corrected but we cant because the process is abysmal

It's a shocker, everyone can see that and no doubt if and when the referee sees the video, he will be probably be horrified he got it so wrong.

Just going to put this out there as a possible excuse/defence, has his positioning and angle to the incident deceived him? Referee seems to be moving in a crab like motion away from play and almost looking over his shoulder at the incident. Had the referee been a yard or so to his left, I suspect this wouldn't have happened.

Any decent referee would offer the player an apology once seen the replay. It's goes a long way.

It isn't good but it does happen. Perhaps he involuntarily blinked at a bad moment, perhaps he was actually too close. Who knows, but I'd like to think if I had three other officials with comms that one of them might have been in my ear telling me I was dropping a clanger.

Sometimes, our brain plays tricks on us, not just on the football field
Because we are so prone to seeing that tackle being a foul, our thought process skips a stage ( in this case, the contact stage) and we see the attacker swivel, we see the defenders outstretched legs, our brain has already now processed, " foul", and we see the attacker on the floor.

human, nothing to do with ability, positioning,experience

he has just fallen foul of the greatest computer ever invented, the brain.

that aside, he should have been able to quickly assess the scene, realise he has errred, maybe with input from his colleagues, and simply hold his hands up, take back the yellow ( if for the foul), and come back to a drop ball.

as above, I know I have seen something happen which clearly did not.
Hands held up, guys, i have called that completely wrong, this is what we are now doing.

hard job being as human as the next man.

sidenote, had for some reason the ref went red for spf ( its not, but just as an example), we would have had var assistance to get the correct call?

Had Kroos been on a yellow then, he is now off
And the other team score the games only goal from the freekick

and the facility charged with getting the correct calls can only sit back and watch!

when its put like that, its insane

Had Kroos been on a yellow then, he is now off
And the other team score the games only goal from the freekick

and the facility charged with getting the correct calls can only sit back and watch!

when its put like that, its insane

Yep, f*****g ludicrous

I would recommend in this situation you try to find a foul by the attacking team. You might say push in the back and run away. This leaves everyone wondering who done it as no-one knows.

I would recommend in this situation you try to find a foul by the attacking team. You might say push in the back and run away. This leaves everyone wondering who done it as no-one knows.
Oh trust me, my whistle was poised for my lips... but corner was way over hit and went out for a goal kick near the opposite flag...

I can understand the 'phantom foul - I thought the referee maybe was too close?

But, how is that a cautionable offence? It isn't reckless? It doesn't scream promising attack either?

It can only be for dissent I would say. You could argue he's winding up for a shot, but 20+ yards at an angle with defenders in the way doesn't qualify as "promising" for me.

Was the card used as a selling tool? "I'm so sure it's a foul I am even cautioning for it." It won't be the first time it's been used this way before.

Back