A&H

EL final

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
watched the Liverpool Seville game last night, and at half time they cut to Howard Webb for what i presume was his opinion, on a couple of the first half penalty claims and the offside. Annoyingly i couldn't hear what was said as i was in a pub and the sound wasn't very good.... anything controversial? was he supportive of the decisions?

The Referee Store
I don't remember Webb having any complaints. In fact, BT didn't even mention this supposed handball furore from the first half. I think the first two appeals are completely innocuous and accidental (although the second should have resulted in a corner). As for the third, Liverpool may have a case because the defender appears to put his hand in an unnatural position to change the flight of a low ball.
Furthermore, the officials handled the offsides extremely well, I thought. The assistant immediately flagged Sturridge for interfering with the goalkeeper after Lovren's header had gone in; and in the second half the referee had the acuity of mind to overrule his other assistant and allow Sevilla's third goal because Skrtel had played the ball last.
Dissent of the benign kind welcomed!

I don't remember Webb having any complaints. In fact, BT didn't even mention this supposed handball furore from the first half. I think the first two appeals are completely innocuous and accidental (although the second should have resulted in a corner). As for the third, Liverpool may have a case because the defender appears to put his hand in an unnatural position to change the flight of a low ball.
Furthermore, the officials handled the offsides extremely well, I thought. The assistant immediately flagged Sturridge for interfering with the goalkeeper after Lovren's header had gone in; and in the second half the referee had the acuity of mind to overrule his other assistant and allow Sevilla's third goal because Skrtel had played the ball last.
Dissent of the benign kind welcomed!
thanks, and yes the overrule was immediate and spot on ! no quibbles there :)

Agreed, great decision for the 3rd goal and it just proves how key positioning is. The referee was in the perfect position to see that a Liverpool player played the ball.

I thought at the time that the first handball appeal looked like a penalty - his arms are out, they block the ball and in addition, if his arms hadn't been there and the ball had gone past him, it would have been a penalty for the body check/trip. Suarez was a master at getting penalties for very similar handballs by deliberately trying to chip the ball past the opponent at hip height and I don't remember people suggesting they shouldn't have been given at the time.

I was actually interested in a challenge on Milner in a similar position a few minutes later. The ball has spun up high in the air after Sturridge's shot is saved, Milner has jumped to challenge for it and the defender has come in underneath, essentially run into his feet ~2 feet off the ground, knocking Milner sideways and leaving him completely unable to challenge for the ball. There wasn't a huge amount of contact and it would have been a very unusual penalty, but the defender didn't even attempt to jump for the ball and his contact with Milner was miles away from the ball.

Last edited:
why did the ref wear yellow socks!?!? looked awful...

i'm sure keen bean thought it might clash with Sevilla's black socks...still a rediculous decision!

Aside from the i thought the ref was absolutely fine

I thought at the time that the first handball appeal looked like a penalty - his arms are out, they block the ball and in addition, if his arms hadn't been there and the ball had gone past him, it would have been a penalty for the body check/trip. Suarez was a master at getting penalties for very similar handballs by deliberately trying to chip the ball past the opponent at hip height and I don't remember people suggesting they shouldn't have been given at the time.

I was actually interested in a challenge on Milner in a similar position a few minutes later. The ball has spun up high in the air after Sturridge's shot is saved, Milner has jumped to challenge for it and the defender has come in underneath, essentially run into his feet ~2 feet off the ground, knocking Milner sideways and leaving him completely unable to challenge for the ball. There wasn't a huge amount of contact and it would have been a very unusual penalty, but the defender didn't even attempt to jump for the ball and his contact with Milner was miles away from the ball.

I was watching on French TV. The French commentators were quite adamant that the first two handballs were penalties, as well as the challenge on Milner. The handballs highlight the differences of interpretation in different countries. I also read Graham Poll's thoughts on the hand ball incidents. As with most English referees he agreed with the interpretation of the referee at the time.

This highlights a problem I have when refereeing here in France as an Englishman. The French want more free kicks for handball. There are few occasions when handball is not given here. I am not French so don't give as many as my French colleagues. The French commentators last night highlighted what they believed were handballs, and both penalties would very likely have been given in France!

My attention was taken my the Milner incident. For me it was a foul, and I would have given it.

Well crap, I didn't notice the black shirt. Too funny.

I do know that they were wearing those hideous socks when they were wearing the awful "yellow" shirt through the season, so I assumed it was that same thing...

This was a pen for me. Defender just wipes him out

Back